Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 15th September 2012, 12:15 PM   #1
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default CraftArtist 3 Wishlist

Now that CraftArtist 2 has been released, here's a new CraftArtist 3 wishlist. If there's anything you would like to see in the next release, please post here.

If there are any suggestions from the previous wishlist which didn't make it into CA2, please feel free to repost them here if you'd still like to see them implemented in CA3.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 15th September 2012, 12:18 PM   #2
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: CraftArtist 3 Wishlist

From the previous wishlist:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlusDesign View Post
Support for monitor profiles. Not available in brand new 2.0 professional.
Alfred
Old 15th September 2012, 04:02 PM   #3
PlusDesign

PlusDesign is on a distinguished road

Thanks Alfred.

Monitor profile support is not a wish for CraftArtist 3.0 Professional. It a BIG wish for the next patch! Serif support monitor profile in PagePlus, DrawPlus and PhotoPlus so ...
Old 15th September 2012, 04:04 PM   #4
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
Thanks Alfred.

Monitor profile support is not a wish for CraftArtist 3.0 Professional. It a BIG wish for the next patch! Serif support monitor profile in PagePlus, DrawPlus and PhotoPlus so ...
New features are only very rarely introduced in patches to Serif software products, so if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath!

Alfred
Old 15th September 2012, 05:12 PM   #5
PlusDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
New features are only very rarely introduced in patches to Serif software products, so if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath!

Alfred
They should not consider this a new feature but an embarrassing omission they should include ASAP. Version 2.1 also looks better than 2.0 so they should feel free to release a small upgrade!

Best regards :O)
Old 16th September 2012, 04:16 PM   #6
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

We are talking about CraftArtist, yes?

I would think that monitor profiles would depend on the target audience more than anything else. Right now, I wouldn't think the target audience is pro print designers. But who knows, perhaps the emphasis will change.

Take care, Mike
Old 16th September 2012, 09:20 PM   #7
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

Are you talking about Color Management? I agree with Mike. Don't think the target market needs color management, but probably would be nice for those who want it.
Old 16th September 2012, 10:08 PM   #8
PlusDesign

I know the masses don't use it but CraftArtist is the only program for design I have purchased, that does not support monitor profiles. I have a broad collection of commercial software - only programs from Serif require me to specify what monitor profile I use. They rest just use the settings from Windows 7 - like they should... and show accurate colors.

It is a major design flaw in Windows that programs need to be monitor profile aware. For this reason many programs are not. To my knowledge Mac OS X will utilize the monitor profile and display accurate color in any program on the computer. If that is the case I begin to understand why this system attracts so many from the design industry.

Anyway, Serif does sell this calibrator:
http://www.serif.com/AllProducts/Har...urCalibration/

So blocking customers from using the profile it generates - now they have the knowledge and code in house - is beyond me.

Ask yourself why Serif should not use the system color settings.

Last edited by PlusDesign; 16th September 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 16th September 2012, 10:12 PM   #9
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

Well, as stated: For the customer base that uses CA, I *personally* don't think it is needed. It isn't a matter of "masses" of people using it or not using it, but rather the type of people using it for specific purposes of which color management within the application is unneeded.

Now, that said, it is a valid request and perhaps Serif will do so in the future. Good luck.

Take care, Mike
Old 17th September 2012, 03:20 PM   #10
ggrussell
Expert

Quote:
but CraftArtist is the only program for design I have purchased,
DrawPlus would have been a better choice which does include color management for soft proofing.
Old 17th September 2012, 09:54 PM   #11
PlusDesign

I already own DrawPlus. But I also purchased Photo Projects... And more. I just want Serif to use the system settings for colors. With no user interaction.

Last edited by PlusDesign; 17th September 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:41 PM   #12
MikeW

by nature, CA does use Window's default monitor profile. The whole point of a color managed work flow is to use a different profile made using calibration software.

It is that color management that CA lacks.
Old 17th September 2012, 11:29 PM   #13
ggrussell
Expert

Quote:
And more. I just want Serif to use the system settings for colors. With no user interaction.
I think you don't understand how it works. even on a Mac, the user MUST calibrate the monitor and printer. And they both must be re-calibrated on a regular basis.

Just like a Mac, Windows has default monitor and printer color ICC files installed that Windows uses. Color management for soft proofing is totally different. Color management in an application DOES NOT affect the color output. The only application in Windows that I have ever used that CAN change the output based on a custom printer ICC file is PhotoShop/PS Elements.
Old 18th September 2012, 07:17 AM   #14
PlusDesign

I know exactly how it works. But no matter how accurately and how often I profile my monitor on Windows, I would never see the result in CraftArtist because it does not support monitor profiles at all.

OS X takes care of it on a Mac. Every program does not need to be programmed to support it.

I am not talking about soft proofing at all.

Last edited by PlusDesign; 18th September 2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 18th September 2012, 03:35 PM   #15
MikeW

Perhaps there really is misunderstanding.

A non-color managed application will display as per your system. That's the OS' job. You can set Windows to use profiles as its defaults for various reasons.

In the end, CA is throwing RGB values at the OS. It obviously cannot use Adobe sRGB, etc., directly in its configuration and so lets Windows decide how to display those RGB values. This is all the application needs to do for its intended audience.

But ya just never know. Serif might take a sub $50 application and put the time and effort into it being able to manage display color (which is all color display profiles do) and even might go the extra mile (or kilometer) and allow managed images too.

Take care, Mike

Last edited by MikeW; 22nd May 2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 18th September 2012, 05:19 PM   #16
PlusDesign

Wrong tab and wrong setting. This is in Danish, but you will recognize the window. This is where you tell Windows to use the monitor profile generated by your monitor calibrator:

Actually Eizo EasyPix installs the profile for me so this is the right place. Eizo EasyPix also reminds me to re-calibrate now and then.

This is not about changing the working color space to Adobe RGB or anything. This is only about getting accurate and consistent color on your monitors.

This setting is understood and used by fx Adobe Reader since it is now a system setting. No user involvement. Accurante colors. The problem arises for me when I make something i CraftArtist, generates a PDF and see slightly different colors and contrast. That is because Acrobat Reader now displays correct colors while CraftArtist did not when I fx generated a palette.

If I open the same PDF in PagePlus - that does understand the monitor profile - colors are displayed correct in PagePlus too.
Old 18th September 2012, 06:08 PM   #17
MikeW

We could go round and round on this.

The advanced tab, first entry, should show the default from the first tab's active profile.

Look. The fact is CA throws RGB data to Windows. Windows displays that RGB data according to the active profile. But it is not color managed data. Just pure numbers.

It doesn't matter if I was back on a paper white or even an amber monitor. I know what color values will output at. With an exception: RGB PNGs and TIFFs output correctly, CMYK do not. CMYK does, however, output correctly to PDFX-1a PDFs.

Your wish for color management is in the wish list. It is now up to Serif.

Take care, Mike

Old 18th September 2012, 06:16 PM   #18
PlusDesign

Never mind. I am in contact with Serif.
Old 18th September 2012, 06:25 PM   #19
MikeW

Well, it is good that a putz like me has someone around like you to help me understand. Well, I would understand if I just wasn't so dense.

Get away from Reader. Open the attached PDF in Acrobat or another PDF reader that can examine the color values.

Top row are 100% CMYK in the respective boxes, bottom row is 50% of their respective values. RGB PNGs and TIFFs load in an application such as Photoshop accurately. The CMYK versions do not and that needs corrected.

Take care, Mike

***nice edit on your post above***

Old 18th September 2012, 06:39 PM   #20
PlusDesign

I think we misunderstand each other. Nothing else.

My laptops monitor shows extremely cold colors. Factory setting. If I design something on it in DrawPlus (first steps playing with colors and shapes) choosing colors visually, and then later open the drawing on my work computer (calibrated), colors are way to warm and saturated. They will be too printed.

Then I calibrate the two and colors are pretty much alike. I did not mean accurate as in 'numbers'.

With monitor calibration photos and changes to photos look identical on both computers. It is this basic support for the monitor profile I am looking for.