Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 22nd June 2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold
Default Update Announcement (12.0.4)

Dear All.

Serif (Europe) Ltd. is announcing the release of an update for the English Language DrawPlus X5 (build number 12.0.4.27).

The main purpose of the build is to resolve issues discovered since the release of DrawPlus 12.0.3 for which we apologise. As well as a number of minor fixes, this update addresses the following major issues. Many are phrased in the negative from our database but are nevertheless fixed.
  • Fix for locking a layer not deselecting its contents
  • Fix for rearranging layers causing a crash
  • Fixes for copy/paste of images causing the images to disappear
  • Fixes for importing/copying EPS files
  • Fix for appearance of Plasma Fills
  • Text no longer occasionally moves position while drawing.
  • Layers control now gives visual feedback of drop point.
  • All issues reported as fixed in the 12.0.3 update announced here
We would recommend that ALL users of DrawPlus X5 English download and install this file. Serif recommend that updating should be done within the program, by using the "Check for update from web" option in the Help Menu. This will always get any available update for your version of Serif software (DVD or download) and install it too. The downloads page www.serif.com/downloads.asp has the file also, which is 6.57 MB.

To work out if you need this update choose "About DrawPlus" in the help menu and if the version number is 12.0.3.25 or less and you are running the English version then you need this update. Helpfully the software checks for updates the first time it runs, so for those yet to install a CD, the latest update will be found on first use if needed.

Technical Info:

File name: DRAWPLUS-X5-EN_12.0.4.27_Patch-Setup.exe
Size: 6.57 MB (6,899,064 bytes)
Digital Signature: Confirmed
Sig Date/Time: ‎14 ‎June ‎2012 10:18:29
MD5: E6B241C8C8712F3D3D215AF1AAF349C6
Removable: Yes.

Please report any problems updating DrawPlus X5 in this thread. Create new threads for any issues using the software.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Waldo

Waldo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Update Announcement (12.0.4)

Hi, Sarah,
The Download page does not have the file yet..will this occur shortly? Thank you.
JimC
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:58 PM   #3
zooburner

zooburner is on a distinguished road

I'm still getting the previous update when I go to the downloads page.

Intel i5 2.9GHz, Windows 7 Prem (x64),4GB Ram, NV530GT 2GB,A dusty Keyboard, and finally the weakest link in the chain..Me!
Old 22nd June 2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Waldo

Waldo is on a distinguished road

Ok..it is updated now. Thank you. Jimc
Old 22nd June 2012, 06:06 PM   #5
TickleOnTheTum

TickleOnTheTum is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Update Announcement (12.0.4)

Downloaded and installed. So far so good for the crash inducing bugs!

Poltergeist text: Fixed!
Crashing Drag Layers: Fixed! <--- Still getting the odd crash.
Invisible Drag Layer: Fixed!

However, these are still presenting issues:

Bug Report: When using the crop tool, the bounding box (dotted lines) disappears while dragging it, making it very hard to tell where the edge of the cropped region is. It returns after letting go of the mouse button.

Reply from Serif: This is a known issue that is being resolved by the Development Team.

Update: Still bugged!!

Bug Report: When ctrl-clicking to select multiple objects in the layer tab the corresponding objects are not always hi lighted in the main window. That is their bounding boxes are not shown and it is impossible to tell which objects are selected. I go to the Layers Tab, expand all the groups and then ctrl-click on some of the various objects across multiple groups... This has improved a bit after the latest patch as it only looses the bounding box when the first 2 items are selected. If you select a third or more it sometimes comes back now.

Reply from Serif: I have managed to replicate the issue you are experiencing when Ctrl & Clicking throughout multiple objects in the ''Layers tab'' I have noted the issue and forwarded it to our development team.

Update: Still bugged!!

New things:

Bug Report: When dragging objects in the Layers tab the list does not scroll meaning you can't drag an object up or down further than the current line height of your Layers tab window! Makes the dragging and dropping a bit pointless! So frustrating when you have hundreds of objects!

Bug Report: Can not shift-click to select multiple objects in the Layers tab. Make selecting several objects very tedious.

The good news is that even with these bugs remaining DPX5 is finally usable. This is how it should have been on release. Usable, with just a few bugs to be fixed in the first patch! I will finally be able to start enjoying it at last! Oh and will be updating my Amazon Vine review accordingly soon... Well done on finally fixing the worst of it Serif! One more patch and it should be there!

Last edited by TickleOnTheTum; 22nd June 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 22nd June 2012, 06:52 PM   #6
M@tto

M@tto is on a distinguished road

Now downloaded from the product and busy checking the uodated features. Thanks Serif
Old 23rd June 2012, 08:18 PM   #7
jesanua

jesanua is on a distinguished road

Hurrah!! Finally solved the dodgy image export bug! Took a while - had started thinking about moving to another product because of this but happy to say I can stay with DP afterall. Thank you, keep up the good work (and please don't re-introduce this bug into DPX6). :-)
Old 30th June 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Rooky

Rooky is on a distinguished road

Hmmm still can't adjust the frames per second rate from the default 24fps to 20fps as required when you create swf adverts for use with Google Adwords. I reported this to the tech team who promised to sort it out for the next release, guess it wasn't important enough

Never mind, I purchased Easy SWF so don't need Drawplus anymore for SWF creations
Old 4th July 2012, 10:04 AM   #9
wptk

wptk is on a distinguished road
Default Having problems getting the X5 update

I keep getting error messages telling me my browser cannot find the server at dl.serif.com.

Though it might be IE9 but I get the same problem with Firefox. I get the same error whatever update I attempt to download (I tried several others, just in case it was only the Drawplus update that had goe wrong).

Tried using the "check for updates" option within Drawplus, but get a message saying the server name cannot be resolved.

The Serif server must have been working as others here have downloaded the upgrade!

Must be my end, but I'm at a loss.

Might try using a different ISP, just in case.....

Help!

Bill

If it's relevant, my system is running Windows 7 Pro 64bit.
Old 4th July 2012, 10:21 AM   #10
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Having problems getting the X5 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by wptk View Post
Might try using a different ISP, just in case.....
That may well work. It sounds as though you've run into this problem.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 4th July 2012, 11:22 AM   #11
wptk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post

Alfred
Thanks for that. Should have done a search of the forums, shouldn't I?
I will slap my wrist later....

I'll go and try the various solutions and see what happens.

Bill
Old 4th July 2012, 11:40 AM   #12
wptk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post

Alfred
Downloading from my other ISP worked fine.

My main ISP is AOL, connected via Talk Talk. (Normally works fine, by the way!)
My other ISP is Orange - that's the one that worked for the download.

Now I can install the update and enjoy the benefits :-)

Bill
Old 4th July 2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Ken_Shea

Ken_Shea is on a distinguished road

Have had no issues accessing Serif for the update download both from with the program for the update and separately to save the update to the HD.
Problem is, the update will not take, it goes through the motions and indicates the update is finished but still get the old version number when DrawPlus X5 is re-loaded afterwards.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ken
Old 4th July 2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ken,

This usually indicates that something has gone awry with your install so the patch doesn't quite apply correctly. Try uninstalling DrawPlus, reinstalling from your CD or download, then reapplying the latest patch.
Old 4th July 2012, 01:03 PM   #15
Ken_Shea

Ken_Shea is on a distinguished road

That took care of the issue.

Thanks
Ken
Old 4th July 2012, 01:50 PM   #16
Sarah W
Expert

Excellent, please to hear it
Old 6th July 2012, 04:02 PM   #17
Kuttyjoe

Kuttyjoe is on a distinguished road

"Fix for locking a layer not deselecting its contents"

That was a problem I experienced, but a bigger problem still exists. I can still draw on a locked layer. Worse, I found last night that I can draw on a layer that is both locked and hidden after I've applied the new update.

Locking a layer still suddenly makes that layer the active layer which leads to the above problem of drawing on the locked layer. Of course, it shouldn't be possible to draw on a locked layer, but it's also illogical that locking a layer simultaneously makes that layer the active layer. If you're not paying close attention, you will continue drawing right on that locked layer and find out some time later about your mistake.
Old 6th July 2012, 04:11 PM   #18
Kuttyjoe

Kuttyjoe is on a distinguished road

Interestingly, my update says it's 12,0,4,27, but it says May 24, 08:37:51 It also says I have the latest update. So something is amiss. I've updated 2 separate computers and it says the same on both.
Old 6th July 2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Sarah W
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuttyjoe View Post
Worse, I found last night that I can draw on a layer that is both locked and hidden after I've applied the new update.
I couldn't reproduce this to start with, it appears to only happen if Edit All Layers is enabled. I will report it to be looked into, thank you for letting us know.

Quote:
Locking a layer still suddenly makes that layer the active layer which leads to the above problem of drawing on the locked layer. Of course, it shouldn't be possible to draw on a locked layer, but it's also illogical that locking a layer simultaneously makes that layer the active layer. If you're not paying close attention, you will continue drawing right on that locked layer and find out some time later about your mistake.
I entirely agree and reported this bug myself, but it hasn't been fixed yet unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuttyjoe View Post
Interestingly, my update says it's 12,0,4,27, but it says May 24, 08:37:51 It also says I have the latest update. So something is amiss. I've updated 2 separate computers and it says the same on both.
Nothing is amiss. The software was built on on 24th May. The update installer was built later, once the software build had been tested, so has the later date of 14th June.
Old 6th July 2012, 05:18 PM   #20
Sarah W
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
I couldn't reproduce this to start with, it appears to only happen if Edit All Layers is enabled. I will report it to be looked into, thank you for letting us know.
Hmm, whilst trying to get a solid recipe to reproduce this I am now struggling to get the 12.0.4 build to behave differently to the 12.0.3 build. I will need to investigate this further next week, I think.