Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 13th June 2012, 11:29 PM   #21
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Basics Features Missing or Broken : DrawPlus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumeco View Post
I think you just enjoy calling me a troll
I am just being realistic. Anyone who was not a troll would have just asked, "How can you do this in DrawPlus?" If not satisfied with the work-arounds offered, they would just add it to the wish-list without making such a fuss about it. Its a perfectly reasonable feature request — why shouldn't it be added at some stage?
Old 13th June 2012, 11:56 PM   #22
pumeco

pumeco is on a distinguished road

Yes, it's a perfectly reasonable feature request, but like I said, it's something that doesn't seem to interest Serif for whatever reason. The reason I get that impression is because both of these issues were mentioned years ago by other members.

Both issues are still there.

There is no "fuss", and I'm not trolling, you just seem to like stirring so if anyone is trolling here, I'd be inclined to think it was you.

I don't need to ask for workarounds for this specific feature which is why I haven't done so. I know my way around vector software and already know what the workarounds would be for this. Trolls don't praise the program, nor do they spend over four hours typing replies in relation to their request.

If it get's fixed, that's great, if it doesn't, that's too bad but I won't lose sleep over it. I've done as you suggested so I suppose X6 will be a deciding factor for me.

You should thank me, because believe me, Adobe and Corel must be on their backs laughing at Serif for selling a "vector" program that cannot snap it's Pen Tool handles to the grid. This stuff is standard affair; it's a vector program for crying out loud.

Pity we can't remove the ability from those programs just to show you the outrage it would cause.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:04 AM   #23
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Trolls don't praise the program, nor do they spend over four hours typing replies in relation to their request..
Four minutes would have been enough to make a polite request without any trolling.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:18 AM   #24
pumeco

But I just told you why I didn't do that, now didn't I.
You seem to have a very short attention span

Let's not make a fuss.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:20 AM   #25
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Enough now.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:27 AM   #26
pumeco

That's just what was needed; a strong woman to sort it out
Old 14th June 2012, 12:30 AM   #27
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
That's just what was needed; a strong woman to sort it out
LOL

The funny thing is that my 15 year old cat has me twisted around his paw.... I am his servant and at his beck and call. ThreeSpot even has his own thread in the General forum above
Old 14th June 2012, 06:18 AM   #28
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Quote:
You also underestimate how much effort I put into workarounds before I decided to post here. Rounding the corners of a square is not an option because it only works on a square.
I wonder how much effort you made, since this was your first thread, and you're plainly wrong about that at least. I would expect to see at least one thread asking how to produce rounded corners on other shapes.

There's nothing wrong with my attention span — I read your first post, and concluded that your "reasons" for not posting in the wish-list were just a smoke-screen. I saw nothing that you posted later to make me change my opinion. This whole thread is a demand that your pet feature request be implemented immediately or you won't consider DrawPlus as a serious vector program. That is your loss — since many other designers are clearly using it to earn their bread and butter even without what you call "bread and butter features."

Your arrogant put-downs about others laughing at Serifˇ™ because DrawPlus doesn't include your pet feature show you clearly for what you are — a troll = someone dragging flame-bait to get a reaction — a commonly used technique to give a topic more credit than it deserves.
Old 14th June 2012, 06:23 AM   #29
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
Your arrogant put-downs about others laughing at Serifˇ™ because DrawPlus doesn't include your pet feature show you clearly for what you are — a troll = someone dragging flame-bait to get a reaction — a commonly used technique to give a topic more credit than it deserves.
But by insisting on having the last word, you are perpetuating the argument. If you think the topic has had a good enough airing, then just let the thread die a natural death.

Old 14th June 2012, 07:06 AM   #30
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
If you think the topic has had a good enough airing, then just let the thread die a natural death.
If you don't like my style, that's your problem, not mine. If people don't post flame-bait, they will never get flamed by me. I am always ready to provide help, workarounds, or at least some help on how to get help. If people come here to troll, they will get told what they need to hear.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 14th June 2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 14th June 2012, 02:24 PM   #31
pumeco

@mjh
I know the feeling, they give you that "look" and that's it, you have to abide. I have to admit it works on me most times as well. Rarely I put my foot down, and that's almost always to my own disadvantage!

Will check out that thread

@Ali
You don't really think I was trolling, do you?

@Bhikkhu
I'm not surprised some might see my thread as trolling. I thought that might happen but there's not much I can do about that. I made sure to put an apology on the end of my first post, and that apology is there because my first post here is a complaint. Not exactly the best way to get started on a forum, but like I said, this isn't a feature request, it's a complaint.

I just don't believe that expecting the grid dots to actually align with the grid should be considered a feature request. It's something that should always have been working from the very start. It's a similar thing with the lack of handle snapping on the Pen Tool. It's just so incredibly ridiculous in a vector program that I'm genuinely lost for words. Again, this isn't something for a casual feature request, it's something that ought to have been there and working from the very start.

Without this basic ability, I can imagine Serif must be sending thousands upon thousands of downloaders running for the hills - right into the hands of Adobe and Corel.

This isn't a "pet feature" demand, it's an "industry standard" demand and unless they get it sorted, they're going to keep sending designers running. Pointing out to me that many designers are happy and are producing fantasic work, is not the point. The point is that if they fix this, they're going to open up the program to the other half of the market. It's a market that should already have been open to them, and would have been if it weren't for this ridiculous limitation that really should not exist in a vector program.

The fact that no one here is siding me with this is a perfect indication that those type of designers aren't using Serif software. They're not siding with me because they're not here to side with me. Those that depend on the Pen Tool are all using Adobe and Corel software.

So that's it, that's my reason for coming out of "lurk mode" after years of absolute disbelief, and finally pushing myself to complain about it. One of these days you might thank me for posting this, who knows, but believe me, someone needed to post it, that much is for sure.

DrawPlus is amazing, but effectively crippled in a most ridiculous way.

Last edited by pumeco; 14th June 2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 14th June 2012, 04:04 PM   #32
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
@Ali
You don't really think I was trolling, do you?
Not I, m'lud.

Old 14th June 2012, 04:21 PM   #33
Art

Art is a jewel in the roughArt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
@mjh
DrawPlus is amazing, but effectively crippled in a most ridiculous way.
The interesting thing is that handle snapping is a feature in PagePlus X6 (and earlier versions it would appear) so Serif obviously see the need for it.

Art

** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem **

Last edited by Art; 14th June 2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: earlier versions as well
Old 14th June 2012, 05:28 PM   #34
pumeco

@Ali
That's good to hear, thanks

I admit I wanted this to get noticed, but certainly not by trolling. I've clearly rubbed Bhikkhu up the wrong way but I'm absolutely not a troll, I can assure everyone of that.

@Art
Yup, interesting, and that's what I meant about the Pen Tool being hit and miss across Serif's programs. It's very odd that it works in PagePlus but not in DrawPlus where it's more likely to be required. That said, it's still unusable even in PagePlus for me, because it will not snap to the grid properly no matter what I do.

The last time I downloaded all the Starter Editions was about a month to two months ago. The problem is I never know what version I'm using because it's always a Starter Edition without a version number.

I wish they'd mark them Starter Edition X4, X5, X6 etc...

I mean I'm using a Starter Edition, but what of?
I know the program but not the "X" release.
Old 14th June 2012, 05:54 PM   #35
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
The last time I downloaded all the Starter Editions was about a month to two months ago. The problem is I never know what version I'm using because it's always a Starter Edition without a version number.

I wish they'd mark them Starter Edition X4, X5, X6 etc...

I mean I'm using a Starter Edition, but what of?
I know the program but not the "X" release.
Look at the name of the downloaded installer file; e.g. ESDPK-PLX4-PagePlusStarterEdition_Setup.exe is built from the PPX4 code base.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exup้ry (1900-1944)
Old 14th June 2012, 06:55 PM   #36
pumeco

Cheers Alfred, seems I have DrawPlus Starter Edition X4 then.

I just tried to add the latest version to my downloads but it won't work, won't let me add it.
It just lists my Product Key for the X4 Starter Edition instead, so, no way to test the X5 version.

Grrrrrrrrr!
Old 14th June 2012, 07:21 PM   #37
Art

Art is a jewel in the roughArt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
[B] @Art
Yup, interesting, and that's what I meant about the Pen Tool being hit and miss across Serif's programs. It's very odd that it works in PagePlus but not in DrawPlus where it's more likely to be required. That said, it's still unusable even in PagePlus for me, because it will not snap to the grid properly no matter what I do.
The handles snap to the grid with no problems for me in PP so I can only guess you have PP options set differently to me.

Art

** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem **
Old 14th June 2012, 07:37 PM   #38
pumeco

Which version are you using, Art?

For me it's as if the handles are influenced by a totally different grid to the nodes, one that is offset. They do snap in PagePlus, but not as they should. I've looked at everything to do with snapping and grids and nothing makes it work normally.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:10 PM   #39
pumeco

I should add that in PagePlus, grid snapping is flawless when it's in "Smart Curve" mode, but as soon as it's used in "Bezier Curve" mode it starts missing the grid. It's absolutely impossible to draw a true square with rounded corners without it screwing-up.

- In DrawPlus the grid has an offset problem and there is no handle snapping at all.
- In PagePlus it starts missing the grid when in Bezier Curve mode.
Old 15th June 2012, 10:42 AM   #40
civiliza
Advanced Member

civiliza is well on the road to greatness

That's strange, I am so used to using the Straight Line Tool, and the Node Tool, both of which snap flawlessly, that I was not aware there was an issue with the Pen Tool.

I just did a quick test with the Pen Tool in Smart Segments mode, and while snapping worked perfectly on the X Axis, after the initial node it seems offset in the Y Axis.

I performed the test with the zoom set to Fit Page on an A4 Page, and funnily enough it only occured in Portrait Orientation - Snapping seemed to work perfectly in Landscape Orientation.

@Pumeco - Since you mentioned workarounds, you are probably aware that the Pen Tool nodes can be snapped properly by using the Node Tool "after the fact", but that does not explain why they do not snap properly first time around.

EDIT - On a hunch, I tried changing my Grid to imperial (ie inches) instead of centimetres, and it does seem to snap correctly. It would seem that in certain cases the Pen Tool only snaps to Imperial Units.

Last edited by civiliza; 15th June 2012 at 10:50 AM.