Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 4th July 2012, 06:20 AM   #41
Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MoviePlus X7 Wishlist

Suggestion: Use scrub location as preview for Crop function

Exactly as the title says. The crop tool uses the first frame/keyframe, not the location of the scrubber on the timeline. Why exactly is this? It should match the scrub position, as presumably if you've scrubbed to past the first frame, you're using SOMETHING in that content to crop off of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scrubbervscrop.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	34017  

Brett Edmond Carlock

Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 6th July 2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Keyframe &/or first frame
Old 5th July 2012, 09:18 AM   #42
rickaxon

rickaxon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MoviePlus X7 Wishlist - renaming files

Yes. Please add this feature to MX7
Old 6th July 2012, 12:26 AM   #43
Saijin_Naib

Suggestion: Set column entries to all right-align, all center-align, or all left-align. Do NOT mix them.

In the explorer view, if you show details, you can see that some columns are set to left align, and some to right align. This is ugly and results in some weird spacing between fields. Picture below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	textalignwtf.png
Views:	121
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	34051  

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 10th July 2012, 05:08 AM   #44
Saijin_Naib

Suggestion: Allow creation of "effect macros" or custom effects, comprised of effect groups and sub-effects.

Currently, we can create an effect group and add it to a clip. However, we can not save this group (the various effects used, their application order, and their individual parameters) to re-use again in the same project, or another project.

How this is missing I'll never understand. It seems like a logical and intuitive extension of effect groups, especially when there is a "Save to Gallery" button for the Effect Group tab. Mind boggling.

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 10th July 2012, 05:30 AM   #45
Saijin_Naib

Suggestion: Make use of Mouse4/Mouse5 buttons

Currently, Mouse4/Mouse5 do nothing in MPX6. I'd like to see them have a default functionality where they function as Back/Next like in Explorer and any given webbrowser. This would be natural and helpful when using the MPX6 explorer to manage files.

I'd like to see a Mouse4/Mouse5 on the timeline/storyboard select the previous/next object on the timeline under where the mouse is currently. This could be very nice.

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 10th July 2012, 05:31 AM   #46
Saijin_Naib

Suggestion: Gapless timeline snapping

When working with soundFX set up for looping from a video game in a test project, I found they did not loop when copy+pasted into the timeline. There was always a small gap. This was remedied by dragging the two objects into one another, but they should just default to being gapless when pasted.

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 10th July 2012, 06:31 AM   #47
Saijin_Naib

Suggestion: Histogram View

I'd like to see a live histogram view (maybe a new panel by properties, explorer, and gallery?) that can be toggled on and off so the user can get a better idea of the image's properties as they scrub along the timeline.

I've attached a quick mock-up. Histogram generated using ImageJ.

To go along with this, I'd like to see an "auto-level" or "auto-exposure" that will create a mean exposure across a given clip (or keyframes) that will help to eliminate the exposure hunting that so many low & mid range cameras suffer from.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	histogramview.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	34129  

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 11th July 2012, 02:49 PM   #48
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
Suggestion: Set column entries to all right-align, all center-align, or all left-align. Do NOT mix them.

In the explorer view, if you show details, you can see that some columns are set to left align, and some to right align. This is ugly and results in some weird spacing between fields. Picture below.
I don't see a problem with this. Numbers are usually right aligned and text is usually left aligned.
Quote:
Suggestion: Make use of Mouse4/Mouse5 buttons
What percentage of MP users actually have a mouse with more than two buttons? Would it be cost effective for Serif to add this (man hours/programming etc)?

Last edited by ggrussell; 11th July 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11th July 2012, 04:40 PM   #49
Saijin_Naib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
I don't see a problem with this. Numbers are usually right aligned and text is usually left aligned.
I know, but its ugly. I think keeping them all aligned in one fashion leads to a much cleaner display. Not everything that is done is done optimally...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
What percentage of MP users actually have a mouse with more than two buttons? Would it be cost effective for Serif to add this (man hours/programming etc)?
I don't know, they don't give me demographics data. I'm guessing that since its 2012, most everyone that has a computer capable of using an NLE will have a semi-modern mouse with at least 5 buttons. It is a far cry from being a new hardware innovation.

I also don't see why this is something that would even be questioned. If you lack the hardware, your experience remains the same. For those who have the hardware, the experience is improved. No one is harmed by this, but plenty stand to benefit.

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 11th July 2012, 07:02 PM   #50
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I don't know, they don't give me demographics data. I'm guessing that since its 2012, most everyone that has a computer capable of using an NLE will have a semi-modern mouse with at least 5 buttons. It is a far cry from being a new hardware innovation.
I seriously doubt that that's true. Most PC users that I know use the mouse that came with the computer or a small, simple mouse with a laptop.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 11th July 2012, 07:24 PM   #51
Saijin_Naib

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
I seriously doubt that that's true. Most PC users that I know use the mouse that came with the computer or a small, simple mouse with a laptop.
I'm in a different demographic group, clearly. I'm a gamer, technology enthusiast, and system builder. I go to a university were there are 15,000 others like me. So yes, most everyone I know that would use a NLE has a 5 button mouse, at least.

Again, having this feature added does not detract from usability for ANYONE that lacks a modern mouse. Having this feature added however, improves usability for those of us who have these kinds of mice. If you're really so much of a luddite as to use a 2 button, 1 button, or even 3 button mouse in this age of the web-based experience, you're really missing out on how well the 4/5 buttons contribute to navigating pages and other linearly represented content (such as the file tree based browser used in the MPX6 file explorer).

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 12th July 2012, 10:13 AM   #52
Gordon L

Gordon L is on a distinguished road

Hi Saijin
You make some valid points but can I add a small comment about calling some a 'luddite'? I think that strays into the personal and doesn't move the discussion forward.
G.
Old 12th July 2012, 04:18 PM   #53
Saijin_Naib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon L View Post
Hi Saijin
You make some valid points but can I add a small comment about calling some a 'luddite'? I think that strays into the personal and doesn't move the discussion forward.
G.
You're right, it was ill-advised. I don't mean it as a personal attack against anyone, it is just the most accurate word I had to describe someone willfully not using a more functional mouse.

I mean, I get it. I still use a PS/2 IBM keyboard because its the only one I can find that doesn't have the keyfeel of a sheet of cellophane, but I'm fully aware of how much I'm missing out on in terms of multimedia keys, macro keys, etc. I wouldn't deny anyone a more functional experience. Have at it if you can stand typing on chicklets over cellophane. I'll be a luddite about my keyboard, but I'm glad better ones exist that other people can use. I just wish better ones that felt good existed :L

MikeR, I'd like to apologize. Your stance is absolutely valid and I see what you are saying, I just disagree.

Brett Edmond Carlock

Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 12th July 2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: I'm a jerk sometimes
Old 12th July 2012, 04:28 PM   #54
Saijin_Naib

Suggestion (From andycamb [http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=115205]):
Looping part of the timeline to preview an effect, sound change, or transition while you are tweaking that effect/transition/etc.

If you've used Audacity, you're probably familiar with this feature. It is accomplished by selecting a range in the timeline you want the playback to begin and end with. When you go to press play, you depress the space bar. Upon click of play, the button turns into the loop icon and that section will remain looped until you press play again.

The details of how to implement selecting part of the timeline are going to be tricky for usability, but I do think its worthwhile investigating. Like andy, I've thought this exact same thing before when I was tweaking sound levels and panning with keyframes.

Perhaps we could even allow a loop based upon a whole clip? Have a clip selected in the timeline and then do the space+click play action to have that clip's extents set the looping extent.

Thoughts?
Thanks to andycamb for reminding me that I'm missing this.

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 12th July 2012, 05:40 PM   #55
Gordon L

I can see how looping a section would be useful. Implement on the preview screen?
See mockable mock-up - its meant to combine Trim type selection with a new loop button (greyed out until a range is selected).
Any good?
I'm just riffing here - can see the value but I'm not sure how much I'd use it.
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	loop.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	34213  
Old 12th July 2012, 05:46 PM   #56
Saijin_Naib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon L View Post
I can see how looping a section would be useful. Implement on the preview screen?
See mockable mock-up - its meant to combine Trim type selection with a new loop button (greyed out until a range is selected).
Any good?
I'm just riffing here - can see the value but I'm not sure how much I'd use it.
G.
Mm, while that makes sense to do it on the preview screen, as that is where crop and other actions take place, can we still edit effects and keyframes while a clip is open in the preview screen? That is mainly what the looping would be for.

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 12th July 2012, 06:42 PM   #57
Gordon L

Quote:
Mm, while that makes sense to do it on the preview screen, as that is where crop and other actions take place, can we still edit effects and keyframes while a clip is open in the preview screen? That is mainly what the looping would be for.
Yes, all editing functions remain while previewing - you couldn't edit without seeing a preview...
Old 13th July 2012, 08:04 PM   #58
andycamb

andycamb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Suggestion (From andycamb [http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=115205]):
Looping part of the timeline to preview an effect, sound change, or transition while you are tweaking that effect/transition/etc.

If you've used Audacity, you're probably familiar with this feature. It is accomplished by selecting a range in the timeline you want the playback to begin and end with. When you go to press play, you depress the space bar. Upon click of play, the button turns into the loop icon and that section will remain looped until you press play again.

The details of how to implement selecting part of the timeline are going to be tricky for usability, but I do think its worthwhile investigating. Like andy, I've thought this exact same thing before when I was tweaking sound levels and panning with keyframes.

Perhaps we could even allow a loop based upon a whole clip? Have a clip selected in the timeline and then do the space+click play action to have that clip's extents set the looping extent.

Thoughts?
Thanks to andycamb for reminding me that I'm missing this.
Thanks Saijin for putting this suggestion on here.
It's really two or three suggestions in one isn't it?
Looping playback of a section of your movie and if you could change transitions or effects, to see which worked best, while this was happening super duper.
Looping record and punch in capabilities on audio tracks if possible. This would be great for instructional or music videos, also good, for loop playing the loudest parts of your audio tracks and checking the levels meters, ensuring you have no clipping going on. A normaliser capability would be good too. I use third party VST's for this, but it would be handy to have this as one of the onboard tools along with the already present reverb etc..
Don't know how difficult any of this would be to incorporate into the program but hopefully Serif's tech boys are reading this thread and some of it will be possible in future versions.
I think there will be a fair market out there, for bands and musicians who are making their own videos.
Old 14th July 2012, 08:47 AM   #59
Gordon L

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycamb View Post
hopefully Serif's tech boys are reading this thread
They're not all boys...
Old 17th July 2012, 04:04 AM   #60
Saijin_Naib

Suggested Improvement:
Have relative paths be less destructive.

Use case:
Start a project, import a ton of media. Have MPX6 thumbnail everything. Save the project, close MPX6.

Move the directory containing the project and all the media. Open the project. MPX6 finds every file just fine, but will re-thumbnail everything. Why?

Brett Edmond Carlock