Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 8th June 2012, 03:00 PM   #21
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: MoviePlus X7 Wishlist - renaming files

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
In reference to thread regarding file renaming between X6 and the actual file name. I would like to see a function in MoviePlus X7, which could simultaneously rename the file and update the project with its new name.
I'll support that. I do find the present arrangement a bit confusing.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 9th June 2012, 04:23 PM   #22
DrBob
Advanced Member

DrBob is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
I'll support that. I do find the present arrangement a bit confusing.
Confusing is an understatement! I call it: totally misleading, a Non-windows GUI standard practice.

Sorry Jon & team

When it is fixed, I might add that meta-data about the clip be encoded too. I might go one step farther and ask to have X7 clips be able to include and display(on request ie; drop-down) the file's meta data including sort by meta data. Please

Justification:
almost all media capture, editing recording, mixing and cataloging software supports meta-data including Serif.

Last edited by DrBob; 9th June 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 9th June 2012, 05:03 PM   #23
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
Confusing is an understatement! I call it: totally misleading, a Non-windows GUI standard practice.
Glad you appreciated the support.
Quote:
I might go one step farther and ask to have X7 clips be able to include and display(on request ie; drop-down) the file's meta data including sort by meta data.
Actually, I asked for better sorting capabilities a couple of releases ago. Without them the Media pane is really not that useful.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 10th June 2012, 12:26 AM   #24
ericlnz

ericlnz is just really niceericlnz is just really nice
Default Re: MoviePlus X7 Wishlist

We perhaps need to be careful here. Don't overlook that you can have several copies of a clip in the media pane, each trimmed differently, and possibly renamed to assist you identify them. When dragged to the timeline they retain their useful new names. Automatically renaming if the source is renamed could cause problems?

Eric
Old 11th June 2012, 08:55 AM   #25
Jon White
Serif Europe Limited

Jon White will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlnz View Post
We perhaps need to be careful here. Don't overlook that you can have several copies of a clip in the media pane, each trimmed differently, and possibly renamed to assist you identify them. When dragged to the timeline they retain their useful new names. Automatically renaming if the source is renamed could cause problems?
Currently, when you replace a clip using the Media Properties dialog, we only update the clip's label if it hasn't been edited manually. I imagine a Rename File function would behave similarly.
Old 20th June 2012, 08:15 PM   #26
DouglasMcCarron

DouglasMcCarron is on a distinguished road

Secondary color adjustment and better sound cleaning. Sound is so important.
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:42 AM   #27
M.I.B.

M.I.B. is on a distinguished road

Better chroma keying with possibility to select more than one color. A permanent color picker in the toolbar. More animated quickshapes and more effects. Time/Frame- and Audio/Wave-Display from MoviePlus X3.
Old 27th June 2012, 04:15 PM   #28
Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib is on a distinguished road

Suggested GUI additons for effects controls:

The first icon is a lock icon. It would go next to each field in the effects control page.

The lock would serve to lock in that value for the project, so any time you add that effect, you have the "default" value set as you want it.

The second icon is a value reset, that resets ONLY that field, not the entire effect. This is very useful on effects that have many input fields, where you only want to default one or a few settings, not the entire effect.

I think these should be fairly easy to add to the GUI and should be well received.
Old 27th June 2012, 04:17 PM   #29
Saijin_Naib

Suggested improvements for VSTs:

Can we get an option to create groups of VST audio effects like there are for video effects and transitons?

For instance, lets say I want to put all the VSTs from this developer into one group called Modern VST, and have all the various VSTs listed on the right, instead of just listing them flat. Furthermore, we should be able to alias VSTs names so that we can make "friendly" names we can recognize easier.
Old 27th June 2012, 04:23 PM   #30
Saijin_Naib

Suggested improvements for tooltips:

Tooltips for the top half of the window will show keyboard shortcuts (when that item is on in the Options), but the bottom half where the timeline/storyboard area is will NOT.

This is inconsistent. Every control that has a keyboard shortcut defined should have it show in the tooltip when that option is on.
Old 27th June 2012, 04:31 PM   #31
Saijin_Naib

Suggested improvements for audio files:

Going along with the meta-data editing and support request above, I'd like to see ID3/APE tags supported fully. This includes things like setting the icon for the file to its album art, and overlaying the Serif Audio File icon.

I've attached a quick mock-up so you can see what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	albumart.png
Views:	123
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	33813  
Old 28th June 2012, 08:18 PM   #32
Saijin_Naib

Suggested improvements for mouse wheel:

Currently, the vertical scroll on a mousewheel corresponds to zooming the timeline in and out. I'd like to change this behavior.

Proposed:
Vertical scroll - Scroll timeline window left and right
Vertical scroll + CTRL - Zoom timeline
Vertical scroll + ALT - Scrub the timeline in small steps (keyframe,framerate,user defined)?

The scroll modifiers match firefox and many other standard Windows program behaviors when the program supports pages and zoom functionality.

In the case of a two-axis scroll mouse (vert & horiz), allow the vertical scroll to zoom and the horizontal to work as proposed above (Hor + ALT scrub, HOR scroll)

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 28th June 2012, 08:49 PM   #33
Saijin_Naib

Suggested improvements for preview bar on GUI:
Currently, the preview bar functions simply to show elapsed progress out of total progress. Clicking it does nothing, hovering over it does nothing. This type of control begs to show more information.

I'd like to see a double-click of the progress bar invoke the Background Task manager window.

I'd like to see a hover of the progress meter show the elapsed time for completing that task, as well as show the estimated time of completion for that task.

I'd like to see a single-click of the progress meter show a popup/tooltip like the image below. It would list the tasks that are being completed & show the total estimated completion time and time elapsed. This will be a quick info window that users can use if they don't want to use the FULL background task manager to manage priority, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	progressmeter.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	33834  

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 28th June 2012, 09:25 PM   #34
Saijin_Naib

Suggested improvements for Background Task Manager:
Currently, the background task manager is a pretty simple control. It lists information in a fairly poor manner and doesn't offer much control other than move up and move down and remove task.

I'd like to see it changed to a standard Windows GUI list control. I'd like column headers to be user-selectable with many different fields available. In the mockup below, I chose to recreate the information that the current BTM shows, as well as the minimum new information it should support.

I'd also like to see a few more buttons added to the GUI, such as pause/restart/Go to. Pause will defer creation of a single or multiple tasks until you set it ready to render.

Restart will re-do a specific task.

Go to will open explorer to the specific file that was created.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	backgroundtaskmanager.png
Views:	120
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	33835  

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 30th June 2012, 06:43 AM   #35
Saijin_Naib

Suggested improvements for Properties panel objects:
Show keyframes is currently a per-tool/item property.

I propose that it become a global option, as I believe most users will WANT to use keyframes, and if they don't, having them exposed is of no detriment to the novice user.

As a fall-back/compromise, put it in the Tools-> Options menu somewhere.

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 30th June 2012, 03:32 PM   #36
Gordon L

Gordon L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
Suggested improvements for Properties panel objects:
Show keyframes is currently a per-tool/item property.

I propose that it become a global option, as I believe most users will WANT to use keyframes, and if they don't, having them exposed is of no detriment to the novice user.
They do take up screen space so its quite useful to be able to toggle on/off and choose only the ones you want to see.

Last edited by Gordon L; 1st July 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 30th June 2012, 07:47 PM   #37
Saijin_Naib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon L View Post
Thye do take up screen space so its quite useful to be able to toggle on/off and choose only the ones you want to see.
I'm talking specifically in the Properties panel. The properties panel is a fixed size and scrolls, so screenspace doesn't really come into play here.

I suppose you're actually talking about how on the timeline a keyframes layer will be added. I see your point with that, but I don't think that should be enabled unless the user actually SETS the keyframes up.

Brett Edmond Carlock

Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 30th June 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 3rd July 2012, 04:09 PM   #38
Saijin_Naib

Suggested Improvements for Helper Files:

I'd like to be able to set the location where Serif will create and store helper files. Currently, it defaults to my user\AppData\Local\Serif folder on my C: drive. This would not be a concern for me, except that this drive is a SSD. I don't want to waste writes by having MPX6 flog my SSD to store thumbnails.

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 3rd July 2012, 05:20 PM   #39
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
Suggested Improvements for Helper Files:

I'd like to be able to set the location where Serif will create and store helper files. Currently, it defaults to my user\AppData\Local\Serif folder on my C: drive. This would not be a concern for me, except that this drive is a SSD. I don't want to waste writes by having MPX6 flog my SSD to store thumbnails.
Change your Application Data location.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:27 PM   #40
Saijin_Naib

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Well, sure, that is a work-around. This program lets you set almost every other parameter, why not these?

Brett Edmond Carlock