Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > MoviePlus

Notices

MoviePlus Questions about using MoviePlus for video editing

Old 12th March 2012, 12:28 PM   #21
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Serif launches MoviePlus X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabless6 View Post
This version, it takes you support files:. SRT. ACC ... for subtitles ?
Can we, import subtitle files ? With the alignment options, color, font ..?
No, I'm afraid that subtitle files are not supported.
Old 12th March 2012, 12:29 PM   #22
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by music400 View Post
I buy movies x6 but with HD video image lague therefore very dificult to make a montage video
Without more information I'm afraid that we won't be able to help you. Please create a new forum thread and in it describe in as much detail as possible what it is that you are trying to achieve, and what the exact problem is that you are experiencing.
Old 16th March 2012, 02:21 PM   #23
detroit1

detroit1 is on a distinguished road

I don't understand this movieplus software
I have installed and put in the key and can open the software but anytime I do anything like converting a file, making avchd, or anything I get

the feature unlocking server has reported an unknown error

so how do I unlock and start using this?
Old 16th March 2012, 02:26 PM   #24
Jon White
Serif Europe Limited

Jon White will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post
I have installed and put in the key and can open the software but anytime I do anything like converting a file, making avchd, or anything I get

the feature unlocking server has reported an unknown error
Hi,
If you'd like to email me your product key, I'll look into this problem.
Old 16th March 2012, 02:50 PM   #25
Jon White
Serif Europe Limited

Jon White will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon White View Post
Hi,
If you'd like to email me your product key, I'll look into this problem.
Thanks. MoviePlus displayed this error message because your product key isn't valid. If you'd like to buy a genuine copy of MoviePlus X6, please see here.
Old 18th March 2012, 05:51 PM   #26
RonnieDP

RonnieDP is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I was considering buying X6, but I see you cannot download a trial version.

I have a Canon Legria HF S20. After a search I found that earlier versions have issues with the Canon AVCHD files. I think .mts files.The latest posts I could find date back to 2009.

Does anyone know if the new version has proper support for the Canon.

Thanks
Ronnie.
Old 18th March 2012, 06:12 PM   #27
Gordon L

Gordon L is on a distinguished road

Hi Ronnie
I have a Canon Legria HF200 and MPX5 handles the .mts files very happily so I'm assuming that X6 will too.
Hope this helps
G.
Old 18th March 2012, 06:34 PM   #28
RonnieDP

RonnieDP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon L View Post
Hi Ronnie
I have a Canon Legria HF200 and MPX5 handles the .mts files very happily so I'm assuming that X6 will too.
Hope this helps
G.
Thanks Gordon,

I see the specs are very similar, so X6 should handle my camera. Are you able to download directly from camcoder to MP, or do you need to download first via Pixela.

Thanks
Ronnie.
Old 18th March 2012, 09:58 PM   #29
gregmartin64

gregmartin64 is on a distinguished road

Bit dissapointed there is no screen capturing like there is in the new Corel VideoStudio X5, which on offer is around the same ( or £15 more ), price as the X6 upgrade!!
All my design products and webhosting is with Serif, so it would have been nice to have such a simple feature added in a "major" version upgrade instead of having to use another package :-S Which means I can't afford the X6 upgrade!!

Oh well, it's still great software and I suppose you can't please all the people .... so to speak!
Old 19th March 2012, 10:07 AM   #30
Gordon L

Gordon L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieDP View Post
Thanks Gordon,

I see the specs are very similar, so X6 should handle my camera. Are you able to download directly from camcoder to MP, or do you need to download first via Pixela.

Thanks
Ronnie.
Ronnie
I usally stick the memory card in the pc and review the takes, then copy across what I want to a folder and import from there.
Or I open the files from Import in MP to look at them and if I choose to import MP offers to copy from the card to a location on the HD. I never use the Canon s/w as I find I get jerky playback.
Hope this helps.
G.
Old 20th March 2012, 08:18 PM   #31
robredz

robredz is on a distinguished road

Have been using Movieplus X3 sporadically as i found it clunky, and it is unstable on my Windows 7 box with 8gig RAM, soon to be 16, is the new version OK with a 64 bit OS? I have been using Kdenlive in Linux for editing some stuff, but may well give Movieplus X6 a try. presumably it can be used dual screen?.

I have DivX Pro HD plus codec installed along with Quicktime Pro. does X6 support output using thesethese?

Last edited by robredz; 20th March 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 20th March 2012, 10:04 PM   #32
Greyfox
Expert

Greyfox is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by robredz View Post
...is the new version OK with a 64 bit OS?
MvPX6 is a 32 bit application, so the normal memory limitations of 32 bit software apply. It has no problems working on my 64 bit Windows 7 Pro system.

Quote:
..presumably it can be used dual screen?.
Yes - I use it on a dual monitor setup. There is more flexibility in pane placement than there was in MvPX3

Quote:
I have DivX Pro HD plus codec installed along with Quicktime Pro. does X6 support output using these?
Don't know about the first. MvPX6 uses Quicktime for .mov file support.
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX-560 (1GB), Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Canon 8400F scanner, Brother HL-2270DW Mono Laser, Brother MFC-J825DW Multifunction, Sony SLT-A57 and Canon IXUS-110IS cameras, Sony DCR-HC96E Video Camera. PagePlus X7,X8 MoviePlus X5,X6 PhotoPlus X7,X8, DrawPlus X6,X8
Old 20th March 2012, 11:25 PM   #33
robredz

Thanks Greyfox, When you use a dual screen setup there is no going back, there have been instances with 32 bit applications where there is more than 4 gig of RAM, in the system blue screening with a memory allocation problem, where it tries to write to the out of range memory address, I have had MvP X3 do this, and also, strangely (not) some Steam games. All the RAM checks out fine. Are 64 bit versions planned I wonder?

I am dual booting a Win/Lin box using Win 7 Pro 64 bit with 8 gig of Ram, and don't have any of the memory issues in Pardus Linux X64 editing with Kdenlive, as I couldn't get on with Mvp X3 it just seems clunky to me. is X6 a stellar upgrade? If so it may be worth a punt,as Serif software is usually top class, and I have used Pageplus from Version 3

Pageplus Photoplus, and drawplus work just fine, even under WINE in Linux.

Last edited by robredz; 20th March 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:59 PM   #34
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thanks Greyfox, When you use a dual screen setup there is no going back, there have been instances with 32 bit applications where there is more than 4 gig of RAM, in the system blue screening with a memory allocation problem, where it tries to write to the out of range memory address, I have had MvP X3 do this, and also, strangely (not) some Steam games. All the RAM checks out fine. Are 64 bit versions planned I wonder?

I am dual booting a Win/Lin box using Win 7 Pro 64 bit with 8 gig of Ram, and don't have any of the memory issues in Pardus Linux X64 editing with Kdenlive, as I couldn't get on with Mvp X3 it just seems clunky to me. is X6 a stellar upgrade? If so it may be worth a punt,as Serif software is usually top class, and I have used Pageplus from Version 3

Pageplus Photoplus, and drawplus work just fine, even under WINE in Linux.
I never used X3 on a 64 bit system, but have had no stability issues with X5. I would say that X5 was quite a major upgrade but X6 strikes me as having few new features but a tweaked interface.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 21st March 2012, 02:06 AM   #35
Greyfox
Expert

Quote:
..there have been instances with 32 bit applications where there is more than 4 gig of RAM, in the system blue screening with a memory allocation problem, where it tries to write to the out of range memory address, I have had MvP X3 do this..
MvPX3 is listed as "Passed the Microsoft Logo Program" and therefore compatible with Windows 7, both 32 and 64bit versions. See http://support.serif.com/KB/a213/faq...ompatible.aspx

Whilst I personally haven't run it on my 64 bit PC, it shouldn't have any problems doing so.

Quote:
Are 64 bit versions planned I wonder?
I have no idea, only Serif would know that.

Quote:
Is X6 a stellar upgrade?
As MikeR has said, MvPX5 was a significant improvement over MvPX3. Some of the new features in MvPX6 are listed at http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=108768. In my view, MvPX6 also has a lot of "under the hood" improvements over MvPX5 which improve work flow and I think more than justify the upgrade price.
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX-560 (1GB), Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Canon 8400F scanner, Brother HL-2270DW Mono Laser, Brother MFC-J825DW Multifunction, Sony SLT-A57 and Canon IXUS-110IS cameras, Sony DCR-HC96E Video Camera. PagePlus X7,X8 MoviePlus X5,X6 PhotoPlus X7,X8, DrawPlus X6,X8
Old 21st March 2012, 08:02 AM   #36
robredz

Thank you both, for your detailed responses. I will give X6 a try, as I have been offered a good deal on it as per usual with Serif, who really do look after their customers. As for the price it is a steal, and way better than stuff like Premiere Element's, and the HD support seems spot on. Wonder how it will stack up when I show it to a mate who is wedded to Apple and Final Cut, and associated issues with 16:9 DV being squashed in Quicktime player

Quite favourably considering price differentials, and learning curve no doubt
Old 21st March 2012, 08:30 AM   #37
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
In my view, MvPX6 also has a lot of "under the hood" improvements over MvPX5 which improve work flow and I think more than justify the upgrade price.
I haven't used MvPX6 for any large projects yet and that may be why I haven't seen any significant 'under the hood [bonnet]' improvements.

I'd appreciate a summary of the changes to which you are referring, other than those already documented in these forums.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 22nd March 2012, 11:29 AM   #38
Greyfox
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
..I'd appreciate a summary of the changes to which you are referring, other than those already documented in these forums.
Hi Mike,
The major new items were listed in the release notes at http://forums.serif.com/showpost.php...62&postcount=1

Some of the changes will only be apparent when/if you come to use them. For instance there have been a number of changes made to the export templates, a new category added for Facebook, some templates have had settings, bit rates etc corrected or optimised, some selection lists have been rationalised. The "Files" selection now has a description and recommendation for each type. An Insert Text (clip or caption) function on the timeline toolbar which makes this task a little more convenient. It's my understanding that some of the internal codecs are now newer versions.

There are no doubt lots of other things others will pick up, However, the thing that for me, on its own, makes MvPX6 a must have update is the improvement in work flow that results from having the properties pane now far more central to the editing operations. On a first quick look you may think this is just a layout change of the properties pane, but you don't need to use it for very long before you see what an improvement it is.

I've thought a bit about how I could explain this simply, and I decided to use an example.

Consider a video clip in the timeline that has had a pan and zoom applied, and also a brightness/contrast adjustment.

In MPX5, you select the clip. if the properties tab is not already open, you open it. Nothing there about either the pan and zoom, or the brightness/contrast adjustment. Select the effects tab, now you know there is a brightness/contrast effect applied to the clip and you can access the adjustments, but still nothing about pan and zoom.

Let's go at it another way. The clip itself has a yellow triangle, so click on that. You now see options for Opacity, crop, transform, and Brightness/contrast. If you had clicked on a clip where the triangle wasn't yellow, you would still have seen the options for Opacity, crop, transform, so at this stage all you know is that it has a brightness/contrast adjustment. You need to open up the attributes track to see which of the other three have actually been applied. When you do that, not only does the Crop keyframe "track" open, but also the keyframe "tracks" for both opacity and transform, neither of which are relevant to this clip and this uses up valuable vertical real estate.

Now look at the same example in MvPX6. You select the clip, the properties pane automatically opens. On the vertical tabs down the left hand side you see immediately that the Crop tab and the Lighting tab both have an "*" on them, so you know immediately that the clip has two adjustments applied. Click on the Crop tab and all of the parameters are there ready to adjust. Alternatively click on the Lighting tab and all of the parameters for that are there ready to adjust. In either case, there is a button on the settings area for each tab that can directly open, and close the applicable keyframe track for that particular adjustment, and you can do that without leaving the properties pane. Incidentally, Whilst on the subject of Lighting. On this one tab, you now have adjustments for not only Brightness and contrast, but also for Exposure, Shadow Intensity, Highlights Intensity and also Clarity.

I personally don't expect or want to see a massive change in appearance with each new version, with good software it shouldn't be necessary, and it would almost certainly suggest a whole new learning curve, which is not good from a productivity point of view. Yes, if something doesn't work as well as it could, change it. Yes, by all means add some new features if they enhance the core functions of the software (like in this case the Quickmovie Studio, Video File converter and the 3D transitions etc), but mainly what I want to see are improvements that make the program easier and more efficient to use, and in my view MvPX6 has well achieved that.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice if it had also been able to include smart rendering, use of CUDA technology etc. Maybe MvPX7?
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:35 AM   #39
ericlnz

ericlnz is just really niceericlnz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice if it had also been able to include smart rendering, use of CUDA technology etc. Maybe MvPX7?
Add to that much overdue improvements to Menu Designer.

Eric
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:39 AM   #40
Greyfox
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlnz View Post
Add to that much overdue improvements to Menu Designer.
Yep, that too Eric.