Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 16th January 2012, 06:27 PM   #1
CumbriaSmithy

CumbriaSmithy is on a distinguished road
Default Why No Mac Versions?

As a Mac user I might have entertained the possibility of buying more of Serif's software if it had been written for Mac as well as Windows. I know I can run a Windows emulator, but it's really not as simple as that, and Serif is missing a huge sector of the graphics market while it refuses to adapt for the Mac OS. I've always wondered why.
Old 16th January 2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why No Mac Versions?

Try a forum search.

Serif Apps for Mac?
Old 16th January 2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CumbriaSmithy View Post
As a Mac user I might have entertained the possibility of buying more of Serif's software if it had been written for Mac as well as Windows. I know I can run a Windows emulator, but it's really not as simple as that, and Serif is missing a huge sector of the graphics market while it refuses to adapt for the Mac OS. I've always wondered why.
Serif is not missing a huge sector of the market. Mac computers have only about 6.5% of the market in Europe and 8.5% globally. Some of those users probably own a PC as well as a Mac.

It's up to Serif to decide whether or not it is worth writing versions of their software for the Mac and to keep updating them. From the market share statistics, I would think the answer if very obvious.
Old 16th January 2012, 06:57 PM   #4
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

That's the historical market share with Macs. Might even be down a little bit from the last time I looked (about the year 1999...).

Even so, 10% (or whatever) is a significant actual number considering how many personal computers of whatever stripe there in households and businesses.

As well, one really needs to compare the overall application base. Though the number of PCs far outweigh the number of Macs, how many PCs that use the types of applications that Serif makes use Adobe, Corel versus Serif? It's that number that is important for the PC side.

With the Mac, there is basically only Adobe with a smattering of low-cost, generally under-performing applications of the sort Serif makes. I think the gamble is how big of a market share is there to take away on the Mac side versus the PC side.

Take care, Mike
Old 16th January 2012, 07:46 PM   #5
CumbriaSmithy

The difference is that a large proportion of Mac users are graphics professionals, as opposed to those with PCs who are not, so whilst the percentage of Macs to Windows PCs is small, a large proportion of the graphics market is, in fact, Mac-based.

I did search for 'Mac' but didn't find the extensive thread from 2009 that you kindly give me a link to, and that does explains a few things about Serif. Whether things have changed since then I'd be interested to know. Also whether it's now easier to re-programme for Mac I would also be interested to know, as I'm not a programmer.
Old 16th January 2012, 09:33 PM   #6
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

The facts are not always the facts. At one point in time, the greater number of Mac-based versus PC-based professionals was probably accurate. But that began changing back in the later 1990s.

On the InDesign and PhotoShop forums, I think you might be surprised how many professionals use PCs. As well, I use to do work for several area service bureaus and the number of professionals that used PCs grew steadily throughout the 1990s and early 2000s (when I stopped). In fact, you might be surprised to find out that most of the show-stopper problems in both those forums are on Mac-based systems.

At best, though, I would think it is fairly evenly split. Part of the reason I believe is the switch from many of the US design colleges themselves changing to PCs--people tend to use the systems/software they use in college. Most of the side work I take on that use Adobe software comes from companies using a mix of PCs and Macs, though the majority use PCs. A small sampling to be sure.

These days the operating system means less and less as regards to software. It is more a personal preference.

Take care, Mike
Old 17th January 2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

Quote:
The difference is that a large proportion of Mac users are graphics professionals, as opposed to those with PCs who are not, so whilst the percentage of Macs to Windows PCs is small, a large proportion of the graphics market is, in fact, Mac-based.

I did search for 'Mac' but didn't find the extensive thread from 2009 that you kindly give me a link to, and that does explains a few things about Serif. Whether things have changed since then I'd be interested to know. Also whether it's now easier to re-programme for Mac I would also be interested to know, as I'm not a programmer.
Where are you getting that a large number of Mac users are graphic professionals? Even if we assume that 10% of all computers are Macs, there is nothing to suggest that a) the mac is primarily used for grapics, b) that any significant number of the people who have currently invested in graphics on a mac would convert to Serif.

Ultimately it could be as small..as...well zero, as would the additional income for Serif.

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 17th January 2012, 01:53 PM   #8
stargazey
Advanced Member

stargazey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
Where are you getting that a large number of Mac users are graphic professionals? Even if we assume that 10% of all computers are Macs, there is nothing to suggest that a) the mac is primarily used for grapics, b) that any significant number of the people who have currently invested in graphics on a mac would convert to Serif.

Ultimately it could be as small..as...well zero, as would the additional income for Serif.
I think it's still fairly safe to assume that a large number of people who use Macs are using them for "graphics" purposes. (As far as I know a Mac has no advantages for surfing the net, typing a letter or playing games etc over a PC!) But, considering the cost of a Mac over a PC, they are also likely to use the "industry standard" software, rather than saving a few pounds on cheaper alternatives! So I'd agree that it seems unlikely that a significant number of Mac users would convert to Serif!

Having said that, if you consider the number of Macs seen in films and on TV, it could be that we're all wrong, and in fact 99% of the population use Macs!
Old 3rd February 2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Harnser

Harnser is on a distinguished road

I love my new Mac but despite trying the alternatives for Mac Serif can take great pride in the fact that there is nothing that is as user friendly or has as many features as Page Plus and Web Plus. I do not want to run Windows on my new machine and the 2 Serif programs are the only apps I am truly missing now. Strangely I think the Serif apps would fit into the Mac world wonderfully well - their intuitive usability and clean interface fits perfectly into the Apple ethos ! I could pretty well imagine that they were designed by Mac users.
Old 3rd February 2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harnser View Post
I love my new Mac but despite trying the alternatives for Mac Serif can take great pride in the fact that there is nothing that is as user friendly or has as many features as Page Plus and Web Plus. I do not want to run Windows on my new machine and the 2 Serif programs are the only apps I am truly missing now. Strangely I think the Serif apps would fit into the Mac world wonderfully well - their intuitive usability and clean interface fits perfectly into the Apple ethos ! I could pretty well imagine that they were designed by Mac users.
I want a mac, or ipad, or iphone, or ipod. They sure do look good.

If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 3rd February 2012, 05:45 PM   #11
CumbriaSmithy

Quote:
Where are you getting that a large number of Mac users are graphic professionals?
I used to run a small output bureau for printers and designers, and Macs were virtually the exclusive tool of the professionals. Of my 20 or so clients about two used PCs, and their work was almost always the most difficult to print or colour separate. QuarkXPress, PageMaker and latterly InDesign were the defacto apps, and they were designed originally for Macs, only later to be ported to the Windows environment. Until then the poor guys had to make do with the likes of Ventura Publisher, Windows Publisher and CorelDraw, all of which were difficult to use and even more difficult to output film separations or bromide paper artwork from.

In my view Serif has missed a great opportunity by ignoring the Mac market, but hey, maybe one day they'll make it happen. WebPlus in particular, in my view, has no equivalent on the Mac, and I've tried a few!
Old 3rd February 2012, 05:49 PM   #12
Harnser

Sadly it is a bit addictive - having got the iMac I then bought a Touch and I am staggered how good my Serif made website looks on that little screen! The site sure does need updating though and I am in a complete flunk about which way to go. I have been trying out Freeway but for the price you just don't get half the features of Serif and can you believe only one un-do!!!!!!!!!
Old 3rd February 2012, 05:49 PM   #13
Naz
Expert

Quote:
I used to run a small output bureau for printers and designers, and Macs were virtually the exclusive tool of the professionals. Of my 20 or so clients about two used PCs, and their work was almost always the most difficult to print or colour separate. QuarkXPress, PageMaker and latterly InDesign were the defacto apps, and they were designed originally for Macs, only later to be ported to the Windows environment. Until then the poor guys had to make do with the likes of Ventura Publisher, Windows Publisher and CorelDraw, all of which were difficult to use and even more difficult to output film separations or bromide paper artwork from.

In my view Serif has missed a great opportunity by ignoring the Mac market, but hey, maybe one day they'll make it happen. WebPlus in particular, in my view, has no equivalent on the Mac, and I've tried a few!
WebPlus is awesome with a capital A-W-E-S-O-M-E

Old 3rd February 2012, 05:55 PM   #14
Harnser

Quote:
WebPlus is awesome with a capital A-W-E-S-O-M-E
It sure is
Old 3rd February 2012, 06:08 PM   #15
CumbriaSmithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harnser View Post
I have been trying out Freeway but for the price you just don't get half the features of Serif and can you believe only one un-do!!!!!!!!!
I tried Freeway too, and I also bought RapidWeaver, but neither package matches WebPlus. As I use my Mac most of the time I have taught myself Joomla, which is great, and works directly on the server through our browsers, but it's still not as easy as WebPlus!

Does anyone out there use WebPlus on a Mac using a Windows emulator? Is it seamless?
Old 3rd February 2012, 06:25 PM   #16
Harnser

Quote:
I tried Freeway too, and I also bought RapidWeaver, but neither package matches WebPlus. As I use my Mac most of the time I have taught myself Joomla, which is great, and works directly on the server through our browsers, but it's still not as easy as WebPlus!

Does anyone out there use WebPlus on a Mac using a Windows emulator? Is it seamless?
I tried Sandvox, iWeb, Flux and Rapid Weaver trials and finally stumped up for Freeway as the best of the bunch but it's no Web Plus. Similarly with Page Plus. I think there are folk on here that run under an emulator but you then have to factor in the price on Parallels or Fusion then a full (not OES or Upgrade version) of Windows then I would need to check on the security implications - what a fag - do you then have to put up with the numerous windows updates etc all the time too - I love being able to turn my Mac on and off and not having to wait for ever - I have a little net book still and it feels like wading in toffee trying to use it compared to Mac. Sorry - I do so miss my Serif but so do not want to have to infect my Mac with Windows and especially have to pay for the pleasure of so doing!
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:10 PM   #17
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I used to run a small output bureau for printers and designers, and Macs were virtually the exclusive tool of the professionals. Of my 20 or so clients about two used PCs
In other words, in your experience a large proportion of graphics professionals use Macs; this is the other way around from what you stated earlier, which is what Naz was questioning:
Quote:
a large proportion of Mac users are graphics professionals
That's a bit like taking a statement such as "Most lettuces are green" and turning it around to say "Most green things are lettuces".

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 4th February 2012, 08:03 AM   #18
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
"Most green things are lettuces".
Maybe they are!

Geoff
Old 4th February 2012, 08:08 AM   #19
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
Maybe they are!

Geoff

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 4th February 2012, 12:54 PM   #20
Pee

Pee is on a distinguished road

This has probably been mentioned before also, but in 20 days the lightweight Mac equivalent of Photoshop, Pixelmator, grossed $1 million on the new Mac App Store. There seemed to be a lot of buzz about that app, and I think it shows even professionals would quite like to ditch Adobe's and their pricing policies. I would like to think there is room for a vector app to see similar success; I'm only just starting with DrawPlus at the moment.

If Adobe's monopoly is to be rattled at all, maybe competitors need to move to being cross-platform as well; as discussed the graphics community is split across the two.

I am a Windows user at present and will probably remain so until there is at least a good alternative vector program for Mac. So, despite this it doesn't really worry me. I just think it could be a good thing for competition in graphics software.