Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > CraftArtist

Notices

CraftArtist Questions about using CraftArtist for digital crafting

Old 25th October 2011, 05:52 PM   #1
StuG

StuG is on a distinguished road
Default Apologies if this is not where it should be

Have just purchased the craftartist platinum and rushed home ready for some enjoyable time looking through a new programme. Unfortunatly that turned out to be a pipe dream when the programme failed to install, it doesn't auto run and when I force it it initially opened up some kind of zip programme i didn't know I had after I deleted the zip programme I now get an error saying;

"Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help."

This leaves me completely baffled I am using Vista (yeah I know but it came with the compute :o) so it looks like it should be compatiable but what do I know.

Any help will be happily accepted feel free to ask any other info.

Thanks for reading
Stuart
Old 25th October 2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Apologies if this is not where it should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuG View Post

Have just purchased the craftartist platinum and rushed home ready for some enjoyable time looking through a new programme. Unfortunatly that turned out to be a pipe dream when the programme failed to install, it doesn't auto run and when I force it it initially opened up some kind of zip programme i didn't know I had after I deleted the zip programme I now get an error saying;

"Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help."

This leaves me completely baffled I am using Vista (yeah I know but it came with the compute :o) so it looks like it should be compatiable but what do I know.

Any help will be happily accepted feel free to ask any other info.

Thanks for reading
Stuart
Stuart,

Welcome to the forums and welcome to the Serif and CraftArtist family. I don't have a solution for you, but CA-Platinum ran on my (very old) XP system, my Vista laptop, and now on my Win7 system. Hang in there. Someone will be along to help, or you may have to get assistance from Serif Tech Support.

Lon "you won't be disappointed" in California
Old 25th October 2011, 09:01 PM   #3
sunset

sunset is on a distinguished road

I'm merely guessing here, as I have never had any problems with the autorun, but the Zip files sound more like the digikit files, which are usually loaded after the CraftArtist Program (and the digikits show up when the program is opened).

Out of curiosity, I've just inserted my CA Professional disk and I got the window highlighting autorun and offering the option to look at the files in Windows Explorer. As I already have the program on my computer, I elected to look at the files - and I think I would try again at auto-run if it was me

The only time I ever had problems with the autorun was on my old XP computer, when the autorun install became corrupted and gave up. Not much help am I
CA2 CA DSA2 PhPX8 DPX8 WPX8 PPX9 MPX5
Busy Bee Basics, Hilary's Family History Pages, Sunset Scraps, Hilary's Research Pages.
Old 25th October 2011, 09:09 PM   #4
StuG

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice I have explored the disk fully and tried starting the auto run from many different ways and just going straight into the set up exe all with the same message popping up. It is increasingly looking like I will be returning this to the store where I got it from.
Old 25th October 2011, 09:16 PM   #5
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Thanks for the welcomes and the advice I have explored the disk fully and tried starting the auto run from many different ways and just going straight into the set up exe all with the same message popping up. It is increasingly looking like I will be returning this to the store where I got it from.
Hold on, StuG...........

Please contact Serif's Tech Support.

this is a user to user forum and Lon is a master of CraftArtist. But this is a really technical issue that few here may be able to help you with.

http://www.serif.com/Support/Account...tomerServices/
Old 25th October 2011, 10:09 PM   #6
sunset

Agreed. As further attempts have failed to get autorun to install the program, it's a question for the support at Serif when the office opens in the morning
Busy Bee Basics, Hilary's Family History Pages, Sunset Scraps, Hilary's Research Pages.
Old 25th October 2011, 10:11 PM   #7
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
Agreed. As further attempts have failed to get autorun to install the program, it's a question for the support at Serif when the office opens in the morning
But, Stu's location is a mystery, sunset. His tomorrow may be different than my current 5:30 PM.
Old 25th October 2011, 10:20 PM   #8
sunset

I was rather hoping that Stu could Google to see what time 9.00 am Wednesday morning in the UK (this weeks) is in his time zone. As we alter our clocks this weekend - it will be different again next week
Old 25th October 2011, 11:19 PM   #9
StuG

Apologies for posting here didn't think it would stir up such a cuffuffle :o) I had tried serif customer support first but hoped someone might have known here or had the problem and so might respond.

The trouble with the support is I needed to register the product through the programme when it installed but it wont install. The last e-mail I had from support asked again for the registration account information so they could help me :o)

Who knew it would be so complicated :o)

Anyway thanks for the advice
Old 25th October 2011, 11:25 PM   #10
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Apologies for posting here didn't think it would stir up such a cuffuffle :o) I had tried serif customer support first but hoped someone might have known here or had the problem and so might respond.

The trouble with the support is I needed to register the product through the programme when it installed but it wont install. The last e-mail I had from support asked again for the registration account information so they could help me :o)

Who knew it would be so complicated :o)

Anyway thanks for the advice

No apologies needed, Stu.

It sounds to me that Tech Support did not understand
the issue.

Just try with them again.

One way or another, you will get the support you need.
Old 25th October 2011, 11:28 PM   #11
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
I was rather hoping that Stu could Google to see what time 9.00 am Wednesday morning in the UK (this weeks) is in his time zone. As we alter our clocks this weekend - it will be different again next week
I find http://timeanddate.com to be a good "one stop shop" for this kind of thing.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 26th October 2011, 03:26 PM   #12
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

I looked up Stuart's Support Ticket, he has now had a Serif account created and he received a reply from Technical Support this morning so hopefully he should be up and running soon
Old 26th October 2011, 05:27 PM   #13
elderflower

elderflower will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
I looked up Stuart's Support Ticket, he has now had a Serif account created and he received a reply from Technical Support this morning so hopefully he should be up and running soon
Hope it's good news for StuG.

There's little worse than getting all excited about trying a new programme, only to have all expectations dashed.

And Stuart - don't worry about stirring up a cuffuffle - we have quite a few of those around here
Old 26th October 2011, 08:52 PM   #14
StuG

Well got decent e-mail support last night the guy registered me without all the information needed. Got a little bored waiting this morning got through to technical support fairly quickly and so began the shocks!!!!

The guy was very very good couldn't fault him was very polite and respectful but brilliantly took his lead from my more jokey nature and it became a very enjoyable experience (not often you get to say that about tech supports anywhere). He took control of my computer and in a fairly good length of time worked out the problem and got it all installed and up and running.

If this is Serifs normal level of customer care I can't praise it enough, if it isn't they should get training from the guy who dealt with my problem :o).

For any interested the problem was that on my computer the opening of msi files had been taken away from microsoft installer hence the problem.

Thanks again for all the advice
Old 26th October 2011, 08:55 PM   #15
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Well got decent e-mail support last night the guy registered me without all the information needed. Got a little bored waiting this morning got through to technical support fairly quickly and so began the shocks!!!!

The guy was very very good couldn't fault him was very polite and respectful but brilliantly took his lead from my more jokey nature and it became a very enjoyable experience (not often you get to say that about tech supports anywhere). He took control of my computer and in a fairly good length of time worked out the problem and got it all installed and up and running.

If this is Serifs normal level of customer care I can't praise it enough, if it isn't they should get training from the guy who dealt with my problem :o).

For any interested the problem was that on my computer the opening of msi files had been taken away from microsoft installer hence the problem.

That's great. It's good to know that your problem got dealt with satisfactorily.
Old 26th October 2011, 08:57 PM   #16
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
That's great. It's good to know that your problem got dealt with satisfactorily.
ditto

Old 26th October 2011, 09:47 PM   #17
sunset

Brill! Glad it's all sorted!!
Old 26th October 2011, 09:58 PM   #18
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:

Hiya again StuG

Who was it in Serif's Tech Support this morning that provided remote assistance and got things squared away for you, jokey and all

Curious minds want to know.

And, we are waiting for you to post your first CraftArtist project here, too. We really like seeing the work of others.
Old 27th October 2011, 09:14 AM   #19
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

That's great news, I'm glad to hear it's been resolved so well I've passed your feedback on to Technical Support.
Old 31st October 2011, 11:41 AM   #20
Taras

Taras is well on the road to greatness

Quote:

Glad its all sorted for you now Stuart. It's always good to get positive feedback, It is appreciated

And remember - Keep your eyes peeled around October/November 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Hiya again StuG

Who was it in Serif's Tech Support this morning that provided remote assistance and got things squared away for you, jokey and all

Curious minds want to know.

And, we are waiting for you to post your first CraftArtist project here, too. We really like seeing the work of others.
It was moi