Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

View Poll Results: Would you use Serif Products on a GNU platform?
Yes I want a GNU versions of Serif products 56 66.67%
Not interested in any GNU version 21 25.00%
I am intersted in a OSX version 13 15.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th May 2013, 02:45 PM   #201
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Vote for Serif on a Linux platform

The one major issue I have always had with linux - app installation. It's a nightmare. I don't want to hear about 'dependencies' . I just want the app to install so i can use it. I was a beta tester for Xandros. I really liked the UI, but hardware drivers weren't great. Lindows (no idea what's called these days) had a good idea with App Store long before Apple did! Was a good idea, but then limited apps there and usually not what I was looking for.

I think Google has a good chance of breaking into the desktop with Android, but they would need a 'desktop' UI separate from phone and tablet. I've never seen a Chrome netbook so have no idea what that desktop UI looks like.
Old 9th December 2013, 08:51 PM   #202
MarcSayer

MarcSayer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
Just 1.24% of active members (49/3,953) have voted for Serif apps on Limux after over two years, which should give you some idea of its importance. Only 20 are "not interested", and just 13 are interested in an OSX version, which leaves 3,871 so disinterested that they haven't even registered a vote.
All absolutely true, ... but your study is seriously flawed. You are basing your assessment on a poll on a Serif forum. That means it is full of people who already own and use Windows and already own and use Windows based Serif software. Of course the vast majority of them are going to be invested in Windows and uninterested in porting to another OS. That's like going to a Marine Corps base and asking how many people would like to see the Defense Dept. spend money developing things for the Air Force. If you really want to see what sort of market there is in Linux (and I'll admit I am completely unsure just what the real market would be), you need to go to Linux forums with this poll. Find out how may Linux users would like to see Serif products available to them, and what they'd pay for them. Sure there are some long time Windows users who are getting fed up and looking to move to Linux, but that is not the core of the Linux market. The core is those already using Linux. You need to find out how many of them want Serif products. It may still turn out to be unfeasible financially, but that way you would at least have a realistic picture of the market.

BTW for anyone who cares, I have found a way to get PP X2 to work in Ubuntu 13.x with PlayOnLinux. I've talked a bit about it in this thread http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=95607 It is stable and so far everything works. Turns out what I've done follows along the lines of what others did with PP v11 a few years back with Crossover/Wine (see http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...um=1;msg=65399), so a method of making this work with various versions of Linux and PP should be possible. Not the best solution, certainly not a native Linux version of Serif software, but it does remove one more obstacle to moving from Windows to Linux, and it give Linux users the opportunity to use PP at least, and perhaps other Serif programs.
Old 9th December 2013, 09:45 PM   #203
Greg
Advanced Member

Greg is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with all Mark Sayer has written.

As the originator of this thread, at this point in time, I am no longer interested in the outcome. I have retired from website design and sold off by design business.

If I were to start a web design business now I would not be using WebPlus. Unfortunately for Serif it is still using a precise positioning system without a top notch CMS and a user friendly management. Towards the end of my design years most business people I came into contact with wanted a method of editing their own site. I will admit there are ways to edit Serif designs on line but at best they are all work-a-rounds and at worst cack-handed.

I believe Linux will eventually win the lion share of the internet and everything connected to it, it is going to take a few decades. Most servers run Linux. Android is a branch of Linux. Google also use a version of Linux. There are already established Linux business applications and growing all the time. Many large businesses, local authorities, and countries use Linux.

I would hazard a guess, and that is all it is, there are more individual pieces of hardware using a Linux based operating system than any other type.

By coincidence rather than choice, my recent new laptop has Windows 8. The only reason I kept with Win 8 was because I needed a windows based computer for Serif products, the need no longer exists, but I will keep Win8 until the next generation of Windows arrives or the laptop fails or is sold. Then I will be 100% linux
Old 10th December 2013, 09:26 PM   #204
Roberto Muscia

Roberto Muscia is on a distinguished road

Hi Greg,

Interesting you say: "then I will be 100% Linux".
In an earlier post you explained you had it with Linux after an email "disaster", telling Linux was not mature and smooth yet :-)))
But I suppose you managed to solve the issue.

MarcSayer has an excellent point indeed: Linux poll on a Serif forum is totally useless for the outstanding arguments.

Personally my opinion still stands: being a fed-up Windows user I definately would switch to Linux when Serif's products would be available for Linux.
My best pc years were those when using XP. ALL software I used ran stable as a rock -for mány years- as well as all hardware.

After the XP days MS kept coming up with versions that were further and further away from how I like the OS to be. Postponed using XP very long until I was forced to upgrade due to latest software becoming buggy or not working at all. Before that I already switched to more affordable software for being tired of the ever increasing update pricing. Had/have to get familiar with quite some new software. Looking for alternatives was the reason I got known to Serif and being so excited about the first one or two programs eventually I ended up having almost all their products.

Now being a Windows 7 user and in the mean time having switched to quite some alternative software (free or affordable) I actually experienced more than ever annoyances and hardware incompatibilities. Partly covered Windows 7 inconveniences with third party solutions (e.g. using Winstep Nexus) but all-in-all I don't like using the computer as I did before anymore.
For hardware incompatibilities I have my old pc still working with XP installed.

Inconveniences includes email and webbrowsing issues but that might be an Opera thing, which got worse during the years. Nowadays use Google Chrome which is much better in performance and speed.
On top of that loosing all my 32bit plugins (which PhotoPlus is supposed to support but somehow never did as well as Adobe software) with switching to 64bit also hurts big deal.

Looking back everything that kept me away from switching to Linux is exactly what I experienced with switching to Windows 7: "loosing" favorite software and hardware, need to learn new software, learning new OS, involved costs.

In the past I had Linux Open Suse installed and I was highly impressed with the UI logics, versatility of included software, the looks, the automated update (of all software) feature, flexibility in settings and maybe more. Never got to actually learning Open Suse as I was still using Windows software and playing with Open Suse was something for spare time.

If Serif software would be Linux compatible I definately would make the switch and based on todays Windows inconveniences I think I would be very able to bare some Linux issues. The few left-over favorite Windows software I could leave behind as well, as I'm sure I will find Linux alternatives (e.g. DPlot and Abacom PCB software.
Maybe not as pro as used to but I'm not a pro user of any program anyway.

Roberto
Old 11th December 2013, 12:17 AM   #205
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSayer View Post
All absolutely true, ... but your study is seriously flawed. You are basing your assessment on a poll on a Serif forum. That means it is full of people who already own and use Windows and already own and use Windows based Serif software. Of course the vast majority of them are going to be invested in Windows and uninterested in porting to another OS. That's like going to a Marine Corps base and asking how many people would like to see the Defense Dept. spend money developing things for the Air Force. If you really want to see what sort of market there is in Linux (and I'll admit I am completely unsure just what the real market would be), you need to go to Linux forums with this poll. Find out how may Linux users would like to see Serif products available to them, and what they'd pay for them. Sure there are some long time Windows users who are getting fed up and looking to move to Linux, but that is not the core of the Linux market. The core is those already using Linux. You need to find out how many of them want Serif products. It may still turn out to be unfeasible financially, but that way you would at least have a realistic picture of the market.

BTW for anyone who cares, I have found a way to get PP X2 to work in Ubuntu 13.x with PlayOnLinux. I've talked a bit about it in this thread http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=95607 It is stable and so far everything works. Turns out what I've done follows along the lines of what others did with PP v11 a few years back with Crossover/Wine (see http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...um=1;msg=65399), so a method of making this work with various versions of Linux and PP should be possible. Not the best solution, certainly not a native Linux version of Serif software, but it does remove one more obstacle to moving from Windows to Linux, and it give Linux users the opportunity to use PP at least, and perhaps other Serif programs.
What you say may well be true, but again because Mac is bigger than Linux it would make sense to go down that route before Linx.

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 11th December 2013, 01:18 AM   #206
Greg
Advanced Member

I had gone off Ubuntu, but there has been a major update or 2 since then and is now far more usable

I go along with all you say, I have had very similar experience.

It is only with hind sight and experience I can say if someone was to need a website design tool today WebPlus is not the best choice by a long shot. The better choice is a Linux based CMS such as Duropal, Wordpress, etc. Something that is open source, free, and contributed by millions of users.

I have only stuck with Windows because I have a Windows XP CD that has unlimited instal allowance, and has been installed on at least 15 machines over the years. In theory I could stick with XP for ever. My only regret it is a 32 bit, and in the past a 64 bit would have suited the processing power I needed, now it does not matter. After all Android needs next to nothing to run.

Now that I have almost retired, it is more likely I will use an Android Tablet in the future as a main machine, and everything will be streamed. Android is likely to become the most used OS internationally, and I cannot see any reason why it cannot run the most sophisticated of programs. MS, in my opinion, only exists because its users are either ignorant of other OS, lazy, or so tided in changing will cause financial loss. Anyone using a computer to run MS Office has no need not to change to linux. Why would anyone want to pay for getting on towards £500 or more for just 2 lumps of software.

Last edited by Greg; 11th December 2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11th December 2013, 10:34 AM   #207
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSayer View Post
If you really want to see what sort of market there is in Linux (and I'll admit I am completely unsure just what the real market would be), you need to go to Linux forums with this poll. Find out how may Linux users would like to see Serif products available to them, and what they'd pay for them.
That poll would also be seriously flawed, since many Linux users will already be using Scribus etc., and will have no experience of Serif software.

The uncertainty surrounding the issue, which you also admit, is not going to encourage Serif to invest in porting their products to the Linux platform. This issue is as old as Linux itself.

The future more likely lies in porting apps to Android or other Operating Systems for portable devices.
Old 11th December 2013, 04:13 PM   #208
ggrussell
Expert

The only way linux would make a dent in the desktop would be a lot of money for hardware startup AND tons of mass marketing. Awhile back, Walmart was actually selling nice machines with Linux preinstalled. That lasted one or two years.

Chromebook pixel is interesting, but I won't use this type of device that depends on 'the cloud'. Call me paranoid, but I will NEVER trust my personal info and file to any entity.
Old 11th December 2013, 09:52 PM   #209
SpillTheBeans

SpillTheBeans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
Call me paranoid, but I will NEVER trust my personal info and file to any entity.
Glad my wife and I aren't the only ones!
Old 11th December 2013, 10:32 PM   #210
Greg
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
The only way linux would make a dent in the desktop would be a lot of money for hardware startup AND tons of mass marketing.
The dent is already present. There are already more Andriod devices than anything else all with the capability to use 'Office' like apps

The desk top is already in decline, sales prove that, when was the last time you saw one advertised on TV (UK). There is still a strong hold with the gaming community, and heavy weight apps like Autocad, and film processing
Old 12th December 2013, 01:56 AM   #211
ggrussell
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
The dent is already present. There are already more Andriod devices than anything else all with the capability to use 'Office' like apps
Matter of opinion .... I'm sure MS has still sold many millions of copies of Windows 8 for the desktop. 'Android devices' covers a lot of things but not desktop computers. I don't even consider ChromeBook a 'computer'. Capability of running an 'Office' like app also doesn't make an Android devices even come close to what a desktop is capable of doing.

My brother-in-law bought a Surface RT tablet because it can run MS Office. I tried to talk him out of it and I think he will be very disappointed. Should have gone with the Surface Pro. At least, I know he would be able to install printer drivers, etc., with no issues.
Old 12th December 2013, 09:21 AM   #212
Greg
Advanced Member

I agree, it is a matter of opinion if a tablet is a full computer or not, but it cannot be denied they are capable of 'Office' like work. I can send/receive emails, make appointments, save notes, process photos, almost the same as on a desk top,and that's just my phone.

Android devices are using quad core processors and gigabytes of RAM, it will not be long before this power will increase, and so will the sophistication of the apps.

IMO Android is doing what MS has never been able to do, work efficiently without bloat. You can be sure of one thing, MS will alway be tied to a cable supplied power source for any time over a few hours.