Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 4th April 2013, 02:32 AM   #41
SaphyConcept

SaphyConcept is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Serif Launches DrawPlus X6

Then it's a Microsoft laxism ?
So, my apologies. I'll wrong perhaps because a friend of mine can use his scanner within his Photoshop under his Windows 64bit. (Windows 7 not 8).

Curious decision from Microsoft, anybody reported that issue to Microsoft or nobody take care of that? :/
Old 4th April 2013, 09:45 AM   #42
Ken Cope
Expert

Ken Cope is just really niceKen Cope is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphyConcept View Post
Then it's a Microsoft laxism ?
So, my apologies. I'll wrong perhaps because a friend of mine can use his scanner within his Photoshop under his Windows 64bit. (Windows 7 not 8).

Curious decision from Microsoft, anybody reported that issue to Microsoft or nobody take care of that? :/
Perhaps your friend can use WIA with his scanner. Microsoft supports this function but not all scanner manufacturers do. WIA has less functionality than TWAIN.

Windows 10 64bit AMD A10-6700 APU AMD Radeon HD8670D + R7 240 2GB Dual Graphics 16GB DDR3 Ram
Old 4th April 2013, 11:07 PM   #43
SaphyConcept

Oh ok, then it is perhaps the explanation! I will ask to him as soon as possible.
Old 5th April 2013, 08:37 AM   #44
adi

adi is on a distinguished road

Newer versions of Photoshop use WIA on windows, Twain support isn't included but is offered as a plugin for the 32bit version of Photoshop for windows only.

Adobe recommend using the software supplied with the scanner and saving images as Tiff files for use in Photoshop rather than using Twain or WIA to import images.
Old 6th April 2013, 08:08 PM   #45
SaphyConcept

I asked him and yes adi, you are right he use WIA not TWAIN... My mistake I tough that it was TWAIN.. Sorry for false answer. (he not use TWAIN even as plugin).

Bad news for Serif's products users.. perhaps you think that Serif must use also WIA then?
Old 7th April 2013, 01:13 PM   #46
Ken Cope
Expert

Ken Cope is just really niceKen Cope is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphyConcept View Post
I asked him and yes adi, you are right he use WIA not TWAIN... My mistake I tough that it was TWAIN.. Sorry for false answer. (he not use TWAIN even as plugin).

Bad news for Serif's products users.. perhaps you think that Serif must use also WIA then?
The scanner manufacturers are responsible for providing WIA, so again, it's not Serif's responsibility, but the Scanner manufaturer to provide WIA software. I'm sure that in time the manufacturers will produce good quality WIA drivers/software.

If I had installed the 64bit version then I would use the software that came with my scanner to import images to DP. It's only one more step. As it is I'm still on XP 32bit so Twain is available for me.

Windows 10 64bit AMD A10-6700 APU AMD Radeon HD8670D + R7 240 2GB Dual Graphics 16GB DDR3 Ram
Old 9th April 2013, 02:23 PM   #47
SaphyConcept

Yes true Ken Cope, it's a good workaround So now we must stop this discussion since that threads is not made for that kind of discussion, but thanks (really) for bringing here some precisions like you made
Old 9th April 2013, 11:38 PM   #48
longtimer

longtimer is on a distinguished road

As I started the thread can I just repeat some of my origional points.
If, by installing the 64 bit version, the TWAIN problem will arise, should not this be mentioned before an installation is begun.
Workarounds are all very well but Serif prides itself on the intuitive, ease of use of its software. After 15 years of using Serif software I could use the workarounds but a newcomer or computer beginner (I'm 73) might not be too impressed.
Maybe somewhat incidentally, I tried to solve the problem by uninstalling DrawPlys X6, even cleaned the registery and ran Ccleaner. After all I did have the backup disc and could reinstall the 32 bit version. Big mistake. The backup disc did not work and my download time from Serif had run out. (Unfortunatly I now llive in Australia and the disc had come from 'Cleverbridge'). I have spent three or four days and many emails to Technical and Customer Services trying to sort out the mess. I am hoping this morning I can install the 32 bit version.
Old 10th April 2013, 03:20 PM   #49
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimer View Post
As I started the thread can I just repeat some of my origional points.
If, by installing the 64 bit version, the TWAIN problem will arise, should not this be mentioned before an installation is begun.
Workarounds are all very well but Serif prides itself on the intuitive, ease of use of its software. After 15 years of using Serif software I could use the workarounds but a newcomer or computer beginner (I'm 73) might not be too impressed.
Maybe somewhat incidentally, I tried to solve the problem by uninstalling DrawPlys X6, even cleaned the registery and ran Ccleaner. After all I did have the backup disc and could reinstall the 32 bit version. Big mistake. The backup disc did not work and my download time from Serif had run out. (Unfortunatly I now llive in Australia and the disc had come from 'Cleverbridge'). I have spent three or four days and many emails to Technical and Customer Services trying to sort out the mess. I am hoping this morning I can install the 32 bit version.
Simon Monahan of Serif started the thread to announce the launch of DPX6. You joined the thread several posts later.

As you will realise, I hope, by reading this and other threads, it is not Serif's fault that support for TWAIN has been removed in 64-bit software. Many of us have had to find workarounds in order to be able to use older hardware: I have a TWAIN scanner that I use every day on my Windows 7 PC, which I have deliberately kept at 32-bit so that my scanner and an A3+ format printer will work.

If there is a WIA driver available for your hardware, I understand this will work.

I am sorry that the back-up disk you created of your download failed you, but it isn't really Serif's problem: the responsibility for testing it lay with you.

I am sorry if my comments appear harsh: they are not meant to be, but they do reflect the reality of your situation, I think. You are not the first to have been caught out in this way, and you won't be the last, but I do not agree with you that Serif should have provided any warning, since understanding how the move to 64-bit will affect us is really the end user's responsibility before upgrading.

Old 11th April 2013, 01:00 AM   #50
longtimer

longtimer is on a distinguished road

OK. I joined a thread about DrawPlus X6 but I certainly started the TWAIN saga.

I have not blamed Serif just suggested that this problem should be mentioned before people purchase and you seem to agree.

My point about 'Workarounds are all very well but Serif prides itself on the intuitive, ease of use of its software.' still stands.

I did not make the back up disc I said '(Unfortunatly I now llive in Australia and the disc had come from 'Cleverbridge')'. Apparently this is now normal if you pay for Serif software in anything but Sterling. Though in this case I did pay from a UK bank in Sterling.

Serif Technical support have, eventually, been very helpful and I now have the 32 bit version installed but it has taken many emails between them and I.
Old 12th April 2013, 11:36 AM   #51
JackMac

JackMac is on a distinguished road

Anyone have a problem with thumbnails?
Old 12th April 2013, 12:15 PM   #52
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMac View Post
Thumbnails where?

Old 12th April 2013, 12:30 PM   #53
JackMac

In DrawPlus X 6 when I go to file>open I cannot see thumbnails of dpp files. Instead there are serif icons. I have set up the coorect view options on the folder. I have win 7 64 bit. I had no such problems with DrawPlus 5.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:40 PM   #54
Foxy
Advanced Member

Foxy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jack,

If you mean that you cannot view a thumbnail when inserting a picture, I think it was removed since version X5?

George
Old 12th April 2013, 01:08 PM   #55
JackMac

Thanks George, The problem is when I go to file>open I cannot see thumbnails of my dpp files - only the serif icon and the file name. I have set of the folder view options to view thumbnails but I am still only getting the Serif Logo. I have win 7 64 bit. Serif tell me that it is a microsoft problem.
Regards
Dermot
Old 12th April 2013, 01:10 PM   #56
JackMac

The problem is when I go to file>open I cannot see thumbnails of my dpp files - only the serif icon and the file name. I have set up the folder view options to view thumbnails but I am still only getting the Serif Logo. I have win 7 64 bit. Serif tell me that it is a microsoft problem.
Old 12th April 2013, 05:14 PM   #57
gerrycud

gerrycud is a jewel in the roughgerrycud is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The problem is when I go to file>open I cannot see thumbnails of my dpp files - only the serif icon and the file name. I have set up the folder view options to view thumbnails but I am still only getting the Serif Logo. I have win 7 64 bit. Serif tell me that it is a microsoft problem.
It works for me. Do you have your icons set to medium size? Small size only displays the DrawPlus icon for me.
Old 12th April 2013, 08:07 PM   #58
JackMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrycud View Post
It works for me. Do you have your icons set to medium size? Small size only displays the DrawPlus icon for me.
The problem is there for all sizes.
Dermot
Old 14th April 2013, 08:03 AM   #59
gerrycud

gerrycud is a jewel in the roughgerrycud is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The problem is there for all sizes.
Dermot
It may be a Windows setting. Try this. Open a file explorer window and click on "View" at the top. This will open a dialog at the top of the window. Towards the right of that window, click on options. Another dialog will open. Check in the list under the View tab to make sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is not selected. See image. Please note, this information is based on the Win 8 environment, but there should be something similar in Win 7. Check your Windows help file for more info. I typed "thumbnail" into the search screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	folder options.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	41097  
Old 15th April 2013, 12:40 AM   #60
JackMac

Gerry, Thanks for giving some thought to this. I have resolved the problem by uninstalling DrawPlus X6 and re-installing it. So, it's fixed, but I don't know why. Thanks again for your time.
Best Regards