Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 24th October 2011, 09:26 AM   #21
Pursuitofhappiness

Pursuitofhappiness is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "The handle is invalid" error when saving publication

(My comments apply to Pageplus version X5)

I think this problem is caused by working on a document in a folder synced by Windows Live Mesh or similar. It occurs when you try to save twice in quick succession. Basically you save the file once, and windows live mesh locks the file while it uploads it to Skydrive or your other synced computers. If you then try and save again too quickly while mesh is doing that, Pageplus cannot save again to the file, it then leaves the tmp file (which is the .ppp file you wanted it to save)in the directory. The original file seems to be deleted which means that Pageplus loses contact with the file it had been working on thus causing the Handle invalid problem we have been seeing.

Unless Serif patch Pageplus with a work around, the only way to avoid this is to make sure you don't save twice in quick succession and if you do, you need to go and rescue the .tmp file in the save destination directory by renaming it with a .ppp extension.

Can other people who found this problem confirm they were using some kind of syncing technology? (or other program that might have locked the file)

Can Serif confirm they have seen this explanation (even if it's not right?)
Old 24th October 2011, 11:42 AM   #22
awhiting
Advanced Member

awhiting is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: The Handle is Invalid

Hello there,

We are currently trying to investigate this problem based on the description you have provided - however we need to have some internal network settings altered in order for us to be able to use LiveMesh so it may take a day or two to replicate this problem, working on the premise that we can do so based on your description.

Apologies for this issue, if you have any further information that you feel might be pertinent then please be sure to let us know.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:48 AM   #23
Pursuitofhappiness

Default Re: The Handle is Invalid

Adam,

Detailed, action-based, non-holding response in less than 2.5 hours. That's fantastic customer service. Google needs to take note (average response time in my experience - 7 months!)

Many thanks!
Old 24th October 2011, 03:36 PM   #24
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

I have been re-investigating this issue since last week in WebPlus. The code is common to PagePlus so it also relates to your experience.

When this issue was first reported, we confirmed that the problem was caused by another process locking the temporary copy of the saved file that is created during the save process. We were not able to reproduce any conditions under which the error occurred internally, so fixing it was tricky. We thought that it had been fixed by work done for it during the beta testing of WebPlus X5, but recent reports have shown otherwise in some circumstances.

PagePlus X5 was released before WebPlus X5 so has not yet been able to benefit from the initial fixes that were put into WebPlus. A further fix is going into WebPlus X5 and all the fixes from WebPlus X5 will also be going into PagePlus X5. An update for both programs will be released soon to include these, and other, fixes.

Many thanks for everyone's patience on this issue.
Old 24th October 2011, 07:49 PM   #25
deemat

deemat is on a distinguished road

Yes, I can confirm that I had Windows Live Mesh syncing my desktop and laptop docs when the problem occurred. It's very helpful to be able to pin things down to a very likely cause, and I trust Serif can do something about it fairly quickly. Thanks for your help on this.
Old 24th October 2011, 10:22 PM   #26
Pursuitofhappiness

Just to confirm, I can reliably reproduce this error with windows live mesh and pageplus, and its good to see deemat can confirm. However, interestingly using the same technique I cannot get drop box to cause the same problem, so guess there is a work around that they have developed their end.

Also I note that I have experienced a similar problem with Mind Jet's Mind Manager 9 where the same situation causes the program to force a "save as" as an alternative to a failed save. (Just to note, this is not an ideal (although better) way to handle this as you then have to reconcile the files again (you can not save as the original file name a few seconds later), but at least you don't lose your work (in pageplus, unless you are savy enough to go looking for the tmp file and rename it you cannot even "save as" another file. Ideally Pageplus would either make its tmp file and move it over later when it gets access or probably best would throw up a waiting box to inform the user that they need to wait for pageplus to gain access to the file again. (unless the .ppp file is huge - which I guess some might be) this would only be a matter or a few seconds in most cases).

Last edited by Pursuitofhappiness; 24th October 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 17th November 2011, 03:11 AM   #27
druseth

druseth is on a distinguished road

Pleased to say that I no longer have this problem! Without any program to sync files online, the problem seems to have cleared up. Now, I'm using Synctoy and a thumbdrive. Lame, I know, but I'd rather have that than this problem; or stop using PP altogether.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Old 19th November 2011, 02:38 AM   #28
Pursuitofhappiness

Question Re: "The handle is invalid" error when saving publication

It certainly is a VERY annoying problem. Unfortunately I rely too heavily on sync software, but I don't want to stop using PP either, so I really hope Serif are making some progress on this!

-Guys?!
Old 21st November 2011, 03:13 PM   #29
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

There 15.0.5 update is still in progress. I'm afraid it moved down the schedule a little due to some other very urgent work which came up in the last couple of weeks. It hasn't been forgotten though and will be released as soon it's ready.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:57 AM   #30
Patrick Marks

Patrick Marks is on a distinguished road

I do not think this problem is solved yet, or maybe there is a similar issue?

I have just lost a 'nearly ready' 28 page newsletter for the second time. The PC is running XP Pro and there is an automatic backup system running on a Lexar USB plug in memory stick. [PagePlus 15.05.030]

I keep a manually generated backup copy whhich I shall ' version B' for this description, the original being 'version A'.

I opened the 'A'version and brought in a picture from a website via the clipboard, then imported some text from Word via the clipboard, and did some basic editing such as font size, de-hyphenation, etc.

I then did a 'Save As...' and selected the 'B' version ('A' was not visible in the list). On pressing 'Save' the following error message came up: "Failed to save... Unspecified error."

Note that this is not exactly the same message as others have reported in this thread.

Both versions 'A and 'B' have vanished from the hard disc and there is nothing on the Lexar backup either.

This is actually the fourth time this has happened since October 2011, albeit with other publications and it is causing a lot of frustration and grief as I produce four publications on a regular basis: urgent help required, please.

Last edited by Patrick Marks; 2nd March 2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: syntax errors
Old 28th May 2012, 11:10 AM   #31
Alan Brown

Alan Brown is on a distinguished road

Hi all

I just this week started getting this error message on my X4 version. Having looked on the web for help ,I too shut my firewall and Antivirus down just in case something was preventing a save. No good.

Tried saving under a different name too.. no good.

I had to abandon the work.

Found a temp file in the directory I was using for my work.. took out the temp references so that it left the original name. It then opened up with my work intact. I immediately saved a copy elsewhere.

This seems to be an old problem.. even affecting X5 and X6.

I'm a little scared of using it now... I have the latest updates to vs 12.05
Old 3rd November 2012, 06:19 PM   #32
Patrick Marks

Umm... Has this thread gone dead? Have Serif found the real cause of this bug. Has the answer been reported somewhere else?

Since removing the Lexar automatic backup USB plug-in chip, the problem has not occurred again, so I guess that any background backup system might be the issue?

As someone who uses PP X5 almost daily having worked up from the early days (PP3 I think), and purchased many Serif products and recommended them widely, I am disappointed that the response from Serif appears to be nil.
Old 4th November 2012, 04:26 PM   #33
Art

Art is a jewel in the roughArt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Marks View Post
Umm... Has this thread gone dead? Have Serif found the real cause of this bug. Has the answer been reported somewhere else?

Since removing the Lexar automatic backup USB plug-in chip, the problem has not occurred again, so I guess that any background backup system might be the issue?

As someone who uses PP X5 almost daily having worked up from the early days (PP3 I think), and purchased many Serif products and recommended them widely, I am disappointed that the response from Serif appears to be nil.
Like this in Support?

Art

** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem **
Old 5th November 2012, 03:19 PM   #34
Patrick Marks

Ah-ha! Thank you for that. I have never seen this page before and was unaware of its existance. I used your link but how should I find it otherwise?

Thanks, Patrick.
Old 5th November 2012, 07:33 PM   #35
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ah-ha! Thank you for that. I have never seen this page before and was unaware of its existance. I used your link but how should I find it otherwise?

Thanks, Patrick.
Click on the Serif logo at the top of this page and follow the links to Support Portal.

Geoff
Old 7th November 2012, 05:16 PM   #36
Art

Art is a jewel in the roughArt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Thanks, Patrick.
Same way I did Patrick. Went to the Serif main site > Support & Community > Support portal > Knowledgebase > "search the knowledge base" and keyed in "the handle is invalid" and pressed enter - top hit!

Art

** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem **
Old 28th December 2012, 06:46 PM   #37
cbradshw

cbradshw is on a distinguished road

I was having this problem too when I had to switch over to a different computer and tried to operate my website work (WPX4) from a flash drive.
I did 2 things that seem to have ended it. Firstly I decided to move all the files to the computer's C: drive and keep the filepath short (I now use the flash chip for backups).
Second was to rename some of the folder names as some were quite long and thought that could be producing some sort of problem.

So far the problem hasn't reappeared and I'm pleased that it hasn't. This is just a 2 cents of thought.

Cheers,
Christopher