Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > FontManager

Notices

FontManager Typeface Organisation Software

Old 16th March 2012, 07:17 AM   #21
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: FMX3 & PPX5?

IMO your wish is optimistic to say the least. To produce a Truetype font worth using takes a lot more than just tracing the glyph outlines, and you asked for OpenType fonts, which is even more complex.

Scanahand does a fair job of getting the spacing right on ordinary fonts, but it doesn't know what to do with swashes or italics. Later versions might be able to fix that to some extent, but I would always want more control than an application like that can give.

You might as well Autotrace each letter and save it to My Designs, then create words with individual letter shapes, adjusting the spacing manually. That might be OK for a Logo or Headline, but obviously not for anything more than a word or two.

CorelDraw had a TTF export filter from version 4.0, which is why I have a copy. It exported one letter at a time. It was a laborious way to create a font, but it worked. A similar filter in DrawPlus would be a waste of development time.

To produce a standalone Font Editor for the same price as other Serif™ products (< £100) might be feasible, but the market for font editors is small.
Old 16th March 2012, 03:52 PM   #22
HLS Design

HLS Design is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FMX3 & PPX5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
IMO your wish is optimistic to say the least. To produce a Truetype font worth using takes a lot more than just tracing the glyph outlines, and you asked for OpenType fonts, which is even more complex.
Bhikkhu -

I saw and replied to your other reply in regards to this suggestion, so I believe you are much more knowledgeable in this area than I am ( and in case you haven't read it, thank you for helping me 'discover' a workaround !! ).

I have tried just about every FREE or DEMO version out there for font creation ( with the exception of FontForge ), and I do not need all those bells and whistles. While I do agree that there is much more than just tracing the outlines, I do not have the need for anything other than the basics ( Caps, lowercase, numbers, and some punctuation ). As I would not be offering these for commercial resale, I just want the basic letterforms for my everyday graphic work in the form of a font that can be used from the dropdown list from any application.

The mapping of characters/glyphs seemed to be the hardest part ( for me anyway ). Although, the trial version of Type3 made it fairly simple ( 2 clicks ) but limits the export to the first 50 glyphs ( sigh ). I was going to purchase it but the link does not seem to work www.cr8software.net ( can you confirm this for me ? )

Quote:
Scanahand does a fair job of getting the spacing right on ordinary fonts, but it doesn't know what to do with swashes or italics.
Again, I'm just looking for the basic alphabets, numbers and some punctuation ( bolding and italics, could be done by using line thickness variations and skewing - although, the set of fonts I'm currently in the process of creating are already they way I want them. And since they are mostly display fonts, I couldn't imagine kerning to take too much time ( although, I get your point ).

Quote:
You might as well Autotrace each letter and save it to My Designs, then create words with individual letter shapes, adjusting the spacing manually. That might be OK for a Logo or Headline, but obviously not for anything more than a word or two.
I tried that ( using DPX3 ) but, I found that CR8TRACER ( free version available from c/net downloads ) does a much better job at tracing ( with little to no post node clean up ). But again, my goal is to have these available as working fonts to be used across any application.

Quote:
CorelDraw had a TTF export filter from version 4.0, which is why I have a copy. It exported one letter at a time. It was a laborious way to create a font, but it worked. A similar filter in DrawPlus would be a waste of development time.
Ok, this answers my question from the other thread. Thanks!

Quote:
To produce a standalone Font Editor for the same price as other Serif™ products (< £100) might be feasible, but the market for font editors is small.
Agreed on all points! But, as a flyout studio? Maybe? And I mean no disrespect to my Canadian neighbors, but a small software company in Canada ( even smaller than Serif ) has implemented a very basic 'font creator' utility from within their software ( but as stated in the other post, only saves in a proprietary font file format for use in their software ). Which thanks to you, I discovered a workaround, and it works perfectly ( except for the fact that I'm bouncing between 2 programs ) - so thanks for sparking the ideas!

Since there is little to no interest and you seem well versed in font creation, any help or software advice you could add to this thread, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Ron