Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 6th December 2009, 05:21 PM   #21
Ditlev

Ditlev is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some text slightly overwriting margin

There is a slight problem with OJ. It is true that OJ may look good when not close to a vertical line. But quotation marks are moved so far out in the margin that they may conflict with the printable area of the printer. And they do not look very elegant in that position.

The possibility to use OJ did not exist in the old days of lead. Of course it could be done but it would have been very time-consuming. I believe it was done in some cases with uncials (drop caps). Drop caps are not handled exactly to my taste so if i use them I make them manually and modify the wrap settings of the initial letter.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:03 PM   #22
cjipper
Advanced Member

cjipper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Re:*Some text slightly overwriting margin

Quote:
I think as so many users think it is broken that the sticky is helpful. More helpful would be to write a proper FAQ or link to the support pages, but that would take longer than I have
I know a guy who heard of a guy who says his neighbor's wife's cousin's best friend would be willing to help craft FAQ items...

Do you think it would be helpful to have a knowledgeable member whip up FAQ answers to items like this? We could have a "Needs FAQ Answer" thread where we (the members) could hash out a suitably brief, but thorough, FAQ to posts labeled Optical Justification or the like. Maybe make the thread password protected or by invite only. I for one would be willing to work on this type of project, and I'm sure many of the more knowledgable members would be willing to input their ideas into the process in order to make sure the question were answered thoroughly and concisely.

Then you would basically be able to cut-n-paste your new FAQ into the official document when it was deemed sufficient. Might save you a little work. Just an idea, what do you think?
Old 19th April 2010, 12:40 PM   #23
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

There is ongoing work happening to improve and expand on the Knowledge Base and an article about Optical Justification is already on the "To Do" list.

If anyone has any suggestions for useful new Knowledge Base articles then we're very happy to hear them. Perhaps I can make a sticky thread somewhere for people to post their suggestions in. Either in the General section or the Product Suggestions section, what do you think? I can't guarantee we'll implement all of them, but we'll certainly cherry-pick the best ones to put into the KB.

Thank you for the very kind offer
Old 20th April 2010, 04:33 AM   #24
cjipper
Advanced Member

cjipper is on a distinguished road

Product suggestions seems a neat fit. And cherry-picking is a fine old activity with lots of history!
Old 20th April 2010, 11:01 AM   #25
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

OK, it's done
Old 21st October 2011, 12:09 PM   #26
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditlev View Post
There is a slight problem with OJ. It is true that OJ may look good when not close to a vertical line. But quotation marks are moved so far out in the margin that they may conflict with the printable area of the printer. And they do not look very elegant in that position.
This could happen, but it would be an unusual case since printer margins are typically 0.25" or less, which is considerably smaller than most document margins. OJ is fully adjustable for each character by editing the style, so you can have 100% for “ but 50% for ,;: etc.
  “Hung punctuation quotes are usually 100% outdented,
   but you can use less if you think it looks better.”
The aim is to align the text block inside the quotation marks.

I have added an article on Optical Margin Alignment to Wikipedia.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30th October 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 14th March 2012, 10:25 PM   #27
kealypaul

kealypaul is on a distinguished road

I am glad to know of such a feature, as many times I compose body type galleys at -1 or -2 spacing and should there be a large white space at end of line (I seldom hyphenate my ragged text) I have adjusted the spacing to be wider for that line, or adjusted previous line kerning to somehow balance the flow of the ragged right-hand column edge.

Although I hate the continual updates, having been a client for more than 20 years, I am more than pleased with the advances Serif has made for professional artwork submissions to printshops with the PDF-x features now abiding in PP version x6, with color bars and registration markings, and trying to tame submissions to e-books and Kindle files.