Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 14th December 2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold
Default Update Announcement (15.0.5)

Dear All.

Serif (Europe) Ltd. is announcing the release of an update for the English Language PagePlus X5 (build number 15.0.5.030).

The main purpose of the build is to resolve issues discovered after the release of PagePlus 15.0.4, for which we apologise. As well as a number of minor fixes, this update addresses the following issues.
  • Fixed interaction of File Save with file sharing apps such as Windows Live Mesh
  • Fixed possible File Save failure after inserting another PagePlus File
  • Fixed crash when inserting PP file containing an OLE object
  • Fixed crash loading specific border from X4 document
  • Fixed crash when Print Previewing a document that has Photo Merge features
  • Fixed problem with grouped items in a Repeating Area get duplicated on output
  • Fixed crash loading specific SVG file
  • Fixed image pixellation problem with Format > Picture > Size and Resolution
  • Fixed PhotoLab Straighten Tool slider
  • Fixed crash when promoting from master page and creating a new page
  • Fixed problem with Detach Line after parameters are changed on Quick Shapes
  • Fixed regeneration of wrap outlines after parameters are changed on Quick Shapes
  • Fixed crash when using Ctrl-Drag to copy a table
  • Fixed problem with TOC generation breaking keyboard shortcuts
  • Fixed problem where modifying hyperlink text style loses hyperlinks
  • Fixed issue with Undo after drag drop text between tables and frames
  • Fixed problem with Calendar Event Manager 'Calendar Events by Date' failing in foreign language builds
  • Fixed problem with Web Site Properties 'Optimize overlapping images' option not staying checked
  • Fixed possible print problem with A3 'Alpine Brochure' template
  • Fixed Publish PDF dialog - context-sensitive Help fails to launch
  • 32-bit Thumbnail Provider is now installed on 64-bit Windows to make previews work in File > Open
  • All issues reported as fixed in 15.0.4 update announced here
We would recommend that ALL users of PagePlus X5 English download and install this file. Serif recommend that updating should be done within the program, by using the "Check for update from web" option in the Help Menu. This will always get any available update for your version of Serif software (DVD or download) and install it too. The downloads page www.serif.com/downloads.asp has the file also, which is 17.8 MB.

To work out if you need this update choose "About PagePlus" in the help menu and if the version number is 15.0.4.027 or less and you are running the English version then you need this update. Helpfully the software checks for updates the first time it runs, so for those yet to install a CD, the latest update will be found on first use if needed.

Technical Info:

File name: PAGEPLUS-X5-EN_15.0.5.030_Patch-Setup.exe

Size: 17.8 MB (18,707,792 bytes)
Digital Signature: Confirmed
Sig Date/Time: ‎‎07 ‎December ‎2011 09:54:57
MD5: 86D600834C59A7214C6FDF2F5624696E
Removable: Yes.

Please report any problems updating PagePlus X5 in this thread. Create new threads for any issues using the software.
Old 20th December 2011, 10:14 PM   #2
alanrwood

alanrwood is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Update Announcement (15.0.5)

Hi Sarah
Just reinstalling after annual cleanout. Is this a cumulative update or do I also have to install the 4 previous ones.
Regards Alan
Old 20th December 2011, 10:26 PM   #3
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Updates are always cumulative.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:28 PM   #4
alanrwood

Many thanks. I thought so but just wanted to be sure.

Rgds Alan
Old 30th December 2011, 09:52 PM   #5
bww

bww is on a distinguished road

Just a note to say I cannot get this update to work.
I have tried it via web update and also separately downloaded and run the file. I have even tried a repair on the existing installation which is version 15.0.4.27 and then doing the update - to no avail. It says it is looking for SerifPagePlusx5.msi.
Any ideas?

Rob
Old 30th December 2011, 10:08 PM   #6
alanrwood

Hi bww

No expert but an msi file is the installer file for Page plus. Try putting the install CD/DVD in the drive or pointing to the original install location.

Alan
Old 31st December 2011, 07:33 AM   #7
bww

Many thanks Alan for the quick reply.
I have tried that from the original download location as I bought the software online so no disc.
The PC is Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit.
The original file is
ESDPK-PPX5-PagePlusX5-EN
which I have web updated online before with no problems so very strange.

Rob.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:46 PM   #8
alanrwood

Hi

So did I and it installed fine for me even after I had at various times updated with the previous patches. At this stage I would most likely uninstall PagePlus completely, delete all files that get left behind and do clean of the the system and the registry using the free CCleaner program. (the Registry cleaner is the 2nd icon down and you can do a backup of the bits it deletes). Then I would reinstall after a reboot. and try to update the original version just with the latest patch 5. However, you do the CCleaner bit at your own risk as it may just delete something it shouldn't although in its favour I have used it for some years and never had a problem. Alternatively you could use the free version of Revo uninstaller, again at your own risk. Failing that it seems like a phone call to Serif Support is the next option. They are normally very good.

It does seem a bit silly to write a patch that requires the msi file when this is not part of the download. No doubt it is actually there but not available in the compressed exe file but then what do I know, I'm just a user like you.

Rgds Alan
Old 31st December 2011, 02:32 PM   #9
bww

Smile Re: Update Announcement (15.0.5)

Hi Alan,
again many thanks for your prompt assistance.
I uninstalled Page Plus and ran CCleaner registry cleaner which found nothing.
Re-installed from the original download and then added the patch which asked for a reboot which I did
- all fine.

Hopefully it was just my computer and this update doesn't effect others.

Many thanks

Rob
Old 31st December 2011, 02:39 PM   #10
alanrwood

Hi Rob

Glad to have been of some assistance and it is OK now.

Rgds Alan
Old 31st December 2011, 03:58 PM   #11
jacksjacobs

jacksjacobs is a splendid one to beholdjacksjacobs is a splendid one to beholdjacksjacobs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrwood View Post
Hi Rob

Glad to have been of some assistance and it is OK now.

Rgds Alan
Now the original problem may have been solved, can I ask: Where is this file .msi located.
First I looked for SerifPagePlusx5.msi, and then any .msi within Serif program files.
There appear to be no .msi files there.
I even looked briefly in Documents and Settings under Serif - same result.
Not that I need the .msi file, but it would be interesting to know where it is.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

funny cats
Old 31st December 2011, 04:44 PM   #12
alanrwood

Hi

msi means Micro Soft Installer and in Windows is normally the file you click on to install a program. However the installer is not always an msi file. I would guess that if you bought PP on a disk the file would be on the disk and clicking it would start the install. When the file is a download it is probably compressed and converted into an exe file which when clicked expands the data into its original files in the "temp" folder and then installs from there. The files are often left behind when the install is completed but more often than not they are automatically deleted as they are finished with. As I said it seems a bit daft to have a patch file call up the original install file when it is unavailable due to being deleted as part of the original procedure.
If you are really interested you could reinstall PP and see if there is an option which asks where you wish to unpack the files to. Select an empty folder and you might find the file there after it has unpacked. I am only speaking from experience with other programs and what I can remember of the install process for PP so it is not certain that this is true.

It might be a good idea if Serif Support could just confirm the position so that we are all certain.

Rgds Alan
Old 31st December 2011, 06:07 PM   #13
jacksjacobs

jacksjacobs is a splendid one to beholdjacksjacobs is a splendid one to beholdjacksjacobs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrwood View Post
Hi

msi means Micro Soft Installer and in Windows is normally the file you click on to install a program. However the installer is not always an msi file. I would guess that if you bought PP on a disk the file would be on the disk and clicking it would start the install. When the file is a download it is probably compressed and converted into an exe file which when clicked expands the data into its original files in the "temp" folder and then installs from there. The files are often left behind when the install is completed but more often than not they are automatically deleted as they are finished with. As I said it seems a bit daft to have a patch file call up the original install file when it is unavailable due to being deleted as part of the original procedure.
If you are really interested you could reinstall PP and see if there is an option which asks where you wish to unpack the files to. Select an empty folder and you might find the file there after it has unpacked. I am only speaking from experience with other programs and what I can remember of the install process for PP so it is not certain that this is true.

It might be a good idea if Serif Support could just confirm the position so that we are all certain.

Rgds Alan
Ta!
HAPPY NEW YEAR

funny cats
Old 31st December 2011, 09:06 PM   #14
alanrwood

Thanks and a happy New Year to you as well.

Alan
Old 1st January 2012, 12:32 AM   #15
ericlnz

ericlnz is just really niceericlnz is just really nice

If from Windows Control Panel you do a software repair then normally the original disc is required? If there's no disc then it needs the unpacked download files or failing that the original download, so they can be unpacked again? At least that's my impression.

I suspect that something was possibly corrupt, or missing, in Rob's installation and the patch picked this up and wanted to do a repair. Hence the request for the MSI.

Eric
Old 1st January 2012, 11:52 AM   #16
jacksjacobs

How often is PP updated?
About every 18 months or so?
No!

I've just given my copy of PPX2 to my granddaughter, and looking through old emails etc to see if there was a product key, I noticed that X2 came out early 2007 (I got my registration key in April 2007)
Very close to a 4 & 1/2 year span, there have been 4 upgrades (PPX3 to PPX6).

Thats only just over a year between them.
Is my calculation wrong, or has there been, indeed, such a short span between upgrades.

On the other hand, if I had paid full "book" price for each, I could complain more - but as I pay only about half price per upgrade I suppose I do pay the full price only per two year span.

But we should dispel this concept that it upgrades infrequently - once a year is quite often.

I do understand that upgrades incorporate new features that usually can't be built into patches. But it is a little like the concept engineered by King Gillette. "What can I make that will need to be purchased over and over ....."

I sure ain't knocking the product, I have bought every version since way back!

Happy New Year, and enjoy X6

funny cats
Old 12th January 2012, 09:35 AM   #17
bikeman

bikeman is on a distinguished road

I was prompted to update to X5 15.0.5.030, when I tried updating I got an error running the up date file.

When I browsed to it's location and tried to run it again I was told it was not a valid Win32 application.

I am using Vista 32bit.
Old 12th January 2012, 10:03 AM   #18
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

It sounds like the patch might not have downloaded fully. Do the size and the MD5 checksum of the file you downloaded match those listed above?
Old 12th January 2012, 01:12 PM   #19
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
"Other MD5 checksum utilities are available."

HashTab
digestIT 2004
WinMD5Free

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)