Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Notices

ImpactPlus / 3DPlus ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Old 24th July 2010, 01:43 PM   #1
civiliza
Advanced Member

civiliza is well on the road to greatness
Default Export partial animation

I suspect that I already know the answer ( No ), but is there any way to export a portion of the animation from the middle of the timeline without exporting the whole animation?

The reason I am asking is that I am experimenting with the Particle Effects and have discovered one that produces a reasonable approximation of sea waves. Trouble is that it takes something like 150 frames for the individual particles to fill the relevant portion of the screen.

Is there any way I can start my export from the 150th frame?

Last edited by civiliza; 24th July 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 3rd August 2010, 07:54 PM   #2
gerrycud

gerrycud is a jewel in the roughgerrycud is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Export partial animation

I've been trying out ImpactPlus 4, and I would say no. There doesn't appear to be a way to export partial timelines.
Old 9th August 2010, 05:37 PM   #3
civiliza
Advanced Member

Shame - fortunately I am only meddling around with it as a Desktop animated gif at the moment and can use PhotoPlus to removing the early frames.

Disappointing thing is that I like it enough that I would like to use it as a signature opening (a-la the Tristar horse sequence) for any home movies I might make, so it would be nice to be able to export just the key part in the relevant resolution/aspect ratio.
Old 11th August 2010, 08:33 AM   #4
gerrycud

Quote:
Originally Posted by civiliza View Post
Shame - fortunately I am only meddling around with it as a Desktop animated gif at the moment and can use PhotoPlus to removing the early frames.

Disappointing thing is that I like it enough that I would like to use it as a signature opening (a-la the Tristar horse sequence) for any home movies I might make, so it would be nice to be able to export just the key part in the relevant resolution/aspect ratio.
In that case, output the whole clip from ImpactPlus as AVI and edit it down to what you want in your video editing program.
Old 11th August 2010, 02:37 PM   #5
civiliza
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrycud View Post
In that case, output the whole clip from ImpactPlus as AVI and edit it down to what you want in your video editing program.
Yes, I was aware that was always an option. To be honest, it is pretty much what I was planning as/when I start to get some usable content from my newish camcorder. What I have yet to decide is the best aspect ratio and resolution to use for future projects. That is why I haven't gone down that path already.

EDIT - Sorry if that came across as a bit abrupt Gerry, it's the lack of the facility I'm frustrated with, not your suggestion.

Last edited by civiliza; 11th August 2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12th August 2010, 08:41 AM   #6
gerrycud

Having used programs like "Blender" and such, I do find that ImpactPlus is a little limited in it capabilities. It definitely has an easier learning curve though.
Old 3rd January 2011, 02:43 AM   #7
Tronman

Tronman is on a distinguished road

How about turning off the object you don't want in the video by unchecking it's 'x' in the Navigator window, then exporting your animation? Does that work?
Old 3rd January 2011, 07:01 PM   #8
civiliza
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronman View Post
How about turning off the object you don't want in the video by unchecking it's 'x' in the Navigator window, then exporting your animation? Does that work?
Unfortunately it's not that simple - it's not that I don't want an object.

I am relying on a particle effect moving forward from an emitter on the virtual horizon to the cut off point at the bottom of the screen.

It takes time for the emitted particles to cover the intervening distance, and the problem is that I have many frames at the start of the animation where the first of the particles is still en-route.

Until the first of the particles has reached the bottom of the screen, there is a blank space at the bottom of the screen - very unconvincing for what (once established) looks like a sea of waves moving from the horizon to below the viewer.

I need the animation to only start once the particles have filled the intervening space.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:36 PM   #9
deekaybe

deekaybe is on a distinguished road

Hello Civiliza.

You can tell a particle effect to start later than frame 0, but not earlier. I am afraid that rendering the full video and and using only the part you really want in your video editing application is the only possibility.
Old 4th January 2011, 10:33 PM   #10
deekaybe

deekaybe is on a distinguished road

Hi Civiliza.

I was thinking about your problem. Perhaps you can solve it using a texture displacement instead of a particle effect. I once wrote a small tutorial about special effects using texture displacement:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/serifus...7605576999496/

Just an idea.