Notices

Digital Scrapbook Artist Digital Scrapbooking Software

Old 24th August 2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Ash
Serif Europe Limited

Ash is on a distinguished road
Default Serif Launches Free Scrapbooking Software

Hi All,

Today we have launched a free version of our Digital Scrapbooking Software: Digital Scrapbook Artist Compact.

It's available from DaisyTrail here. It has some of the more advanced features of DSA removed from it, but is still more than enough for most people to create great scrapbooks, cards, invites, etc. There is a short video on the page above which gives an overview of the features.

I hope you like it. Of course we're trying to get the word out about this as much as possible over the coming weeks so if you think it's something any other forums or communities you're members of might be interested in please let them know

Thanks,
Ash

Last edited by Patrick Connor; 24th August 2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 24th August 2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Serif Launches Free Scrapbooking Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Today we have launched a free version of our Digital Scrapbooking Software: Digital Scrapbook Artist Compact.

It's available from DaisyTrail here. It has some of the more advanced features of DSA removed from it, but is still more than enough for most people to create great scrapbooks, cards, invites, etc.
Hmmm.

I wonder if Serif might be planning to also release free, reduced-features versions of other programs?

Even with some of the more advanced features removed from, for example, PagePlus, that would be great, as I already don't use, or even have a need for, most of the "advanced" features.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 24th August 2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
I wonder if Serif might be planning to also release free, reduced-features versions of other programs?
Like WebPlus SE, DrawPlus SE, PhotoPlus SE and PanoramaPlus SE?

I'd include PagePlus SE as well but it's currently a cut down PagePlus 9 so it's not as up to date as the other ones.
Old 25th August 2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Sean Riley

Sean Riley is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much Serif, it's not often you get a company giving free updated software
Well Done

Sean
Old 26th August 2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Gordon

Gordon is on a distinguished road

I have quite a bit of software from Serif is there a big advantage to use this freebie or is PagePlus,Drawplus,WebPlus,MoviePlus , etc enough?? Is this freebie compatible re images , text, pdf's Etc?
Old 26th August 2009, 05:33 PM   #6
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I have quite a bit of software from Serif is there a big advantage to use this freebie or is PagePlus,Drawplus,WebPlus,MoviePlus , etc enough?? Is this freebie compatible re images , text, pdf's Etc?

Gordon

If you like to play around and do not have DSA, then go ahead and avail yourself to this freebee.

www.freeserifsoftware.com
Old 26th August 2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
I have quite a bit of software from Serif is there a big advantage to use this freebie
No. It is just a cut-down version of DSA. But it is free.

Quote:
or is PagePlus,Drawplus,WebPlus,MoviePlus , etc enough??
Enough... for?

PP, DP, WP, MP and DSA are all different tools designed for different jobs, although there is some duplication of functions.

The free version of DSA is... er... free, so there is nothing to lose by trying it.

See also Free Serif Software.

Old 26th August 2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
The free version of DSA is... er... free, so there is nothing to lose by trying it.
Time is precious. After a quick look, I suspect that if someone already has DrawPlus X2 or X3 they won't find a lot that they cannot do without DSA, but someone who is familiar with both programs may be able to tell us more and save us many hours of searching and testing.
Old 26th August 2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
I suspect that if someone already has DrawPlus X2 or X3 they won't find a lot that they cannot do without DSA
My thought, too.

Old 26th August 2009, 11:15 PM   #10
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Time is precious. After a quick look, I suspect that if someone already has DrawPlus X2 or X3 they won't find a lot that they cannot do without DSA, but someone who is familiar with both programs may be able to tell us more and save us many hours of searching and testing.
The main difference that springs to mind is that DSA has intelligent picture frames. Like the ones in PagePlus X4 they come with a wide variety of bitmap edges (depending on the Digikits you have installed) but the free upgrade from version 1.0 to version 1.5 gives the user the ability to create new Digikit elements including frames and bitmap lettering. DSA also makes it easy to share creations by uploading to DaisyTrail.com in much the same way as you can share DrawPlus creations via DrawPlus.com.

DSA Compact seems to lack all of the DSA/DP tools apart from the Brush Tool, but I haven't been able to test it here. Unlike the SE versions of other Serif programs, you cannot have DSA 1.x and DSA Compact installed concurrently.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 26th August 2009, 11:21 PM   #11
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

DSA has all of those nifty templates and bits and pieces so it is handy for those of us who are design challenged.
Old 28th September 2009, 07:45 PM   #12
Sick ofPC

Sick ofPC is on a distinguished road

Took one look at the icon just after I installed the free version of scrapbook and scrapped it, I HATE HATE HATE that icon

beerrr I HATE it

No, I did not take time to look at the program before deleting
Old 28th September 2009, 08:02 PM   #13
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick ofPC View Post
Took one look at the icon just after I installed the free version of scrapbook and scrapped it,
Since you can change the icon used on the shortcut that seems a bit extreme.

I uninstalled it because the menu font was too small to read, and I couldn't be bothered to learn how to use the program since I couldn't read the menus (they ignore my Windows font settings). Anyway, I have DrawPlus X3 and PagePlus X4 so I don't have much motivation to overcome any such problems.
Old 28th September 2009, 10:31 PM   #14
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
you can change the icon used on the shortcut
The "advertised" shortcut created by the installer uses a fixed icon. You can only change the icon used on a direct shortcut to the program executable.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 29th September 2009, 09:16 AM   #15
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
The "advertised" shortcut created by the installer uses a fixed icon. You can only change the icon used on a direct shortcut to the program executable. Alfred
Perhaps Serif has found a modern replacement for the hated "nag screens": Registered users could be offered a nicer icon in place of a ghastly Nag-icon©.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 5th October 2009, 12:48 PM   #16
Mark Ingram
Serif Europe Limited

Mark Ingram is on a distinguished road

Deleting something because you don't like the icon? Isn't that a little bit like judging a book by it's cover? I'm sure there's a saying about that

Mark Ingram
DrawPlus and CraftArtist Project Manager

Reporting Software Issues To Serif
Old 5th October 2009, 01:25 PM   #17
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick ofPC View Post
Took one look at the icon just after I installed the free version of scrapbook and scrapped it, I HATE HATE HATE that icon

beerrr I HATE it

No, I did not take time to look at the program before deleting
I don't much care for the current DrawPlus GUI, but it doesn't alter the fact that it is a very good and powerful program. I certainly wouldn't dismiss it on that basis. You say you don't like the icon? Well, you don't have to look at the icon when you're using the program, do you? And you can keep it hidden away in menus at other times ... But then again, if you have already 'scrapped' the scrapbooking software, there's not a lot of point in my saying that, is there?

Old 5th October 2009, 04:29 PM   #18
William

William is just really niceWilliam is just really nice

Stupid is as stupid does!