Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PanoramaPlus

Notices

PanoramaPlus Questions about using PanoramaPlus for digital image stitching

Old 17th March 2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Patrick Connor
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb PanoramaPlus 3.0.1 Patch Available

Dear All.

Serif Ltd. is pleased to announce the release of a patch for PanoramaPlus 3 (build number 3.0.1.013).

The main purpose of the patch is to resolve a number of issues discovered after the release of PanoramaPlus 3, for which we apologise.

We would recommend that ALL users of PanoramaPlus 3 (English) download and install this patch. If you are using Windows 98SE or ME you may have a problem installing this patch. If you do please contact Technical Support.

Serif recommend that patching should be done within the program, by using the "Check for update from web" option in the Help Menu of PanoramaPlus 3. This will get the right patch for your version of the software (CD or download) and install it too. The downloads page www.serif.com/downloads.asp has the patch also, which is 0.8 MB. The patch for the English download PanoramaPlus 3 is the same as for the English CD version.

A list of the changes/fixes in this patch are listed below, some are phrased in the negative in the database, but are nevertheless fixed ...

* More reliable panorama generation on large images.

* Rotated cropped panoramas preview correctly.

* Auto-close application under Vista more reliable.

Please report any problems updating PanoramaPlus 3 in this thread.

Regards,
Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

:seriffooterPConnor839:}

Old 18th March 2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Sweedie

Lightbulb Re:*PanoramaPlus 3.0.1 Patch Available

Yesterday I made a comparison of three panorama stitching tools in this forum. Today I installed the PanoramaPlus 3.0.1 Patch and made a new comparing pano. The result was the same concerning time. A big difference is that Panorama Plus 3 not save any other size than the automated size. If I try the Optimum size or any other size nothing happens, I still get the same automated size every time, although the program makes the calculation for a bigger size. Is something wrong whith this patch?

Old 18th March 2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Geoff Blanthorn

Lightbulb Re: PanoramaPlus 3.0.1 Patch Available

Henry,

It seems OK here. After resizing I can save in the new size OK, both larger and smaller.

Geoff

Old 18th March 2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Sweedie

The attached screencut shows the Optimum Size setting that does not work for me. I use 5 photos that are 8 megapixels each. I can not save the optimum size, just the cashed size. If I choose some other size than the cashed, it still writes the cached size.

If I scale down the photos before adding them into Panorama Plus I can use the Optimum size thou. I downsized them to 1600 x 1067 (instead of the original size 3264 x 2176, thats a 25% of the original) and everything worked out just fine.

I think Panorama Plus Can't handle too big size?

Old 19th March 2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Geoff Blanthorn

Henry,

I get a similar screen while resizing is being performed, but the resultant file saved is the Optimum size.

Geoff

Old 19th March 2008, 12:38 PM   #6
Adam Whiting

Hi Sweedie,

The code around the resize dialog has been changed in 3.0.1 to improve it's stability, though we do not believe the behaviour is ever worse than in 3.0.0. In the previous build of PanoramaPlus 3 (before you patched) the application may have simply crashed when exporting such a big panorama. With the new build it fail's silently, though there should probably be some sort of warning dialog explaining what has happened and why, it is still preferable to the 3.0.0 behaviour. If you think that the results are worse in this build, please post back or uninstall the patch and try for yourself. I hope that this is ok.

Firstly i'd recommend that with input files of that size that you don't try and export them at "optimum" size, since this is the biggest size the image can be exported at without losing any quality - obviously with such a high quality camera this size is going to be huge, probably too big to do anything with (to even view it on your computer you would need to be zoomed right out, and you would need an extremely large printer to print it off ). What would be a good idea is to establish exactly how big you want your exported panorama to be, and then manually specify those dimensions in the resize dialog - hopefully the size you want to work with won't be too big to resize on your computer. So in the current build you will need to use trial and error to see how big you can go, sorry.

However if you do still want to export at the "optimum" size, or if the size you manually specify still produces this result, i would then suggest you increase your system's memory, either with a hardware upgrade or by increasing the size of the Page File that Windows is using. Hopefully then you will be able to get the desired results.

Regards,
Adam Whiting
Development Department
Serif (Europe) Ltd

Old 19th March 2008, 11:23 PM   #7
Sweedie

Success!

I used the trick you told me; I maximized the pagefile to 4096 Mb and turned off all Vista's good looks. That freed the memory and I also used the Instant Memory Cleaner to free even more. Then Panorama Plus 3 saved the file at c:a 6000 x 3000 pixels.

I need big files to make a good printout at the size of 60 x 30 centimetres 250 dpi. I even make 60 x 40 centimetres printouts at 6000 x 4000 pixels (that is; I let a printshop print them for me) and because of this it is necessary to stitch some photos, 4 or 6 togeather, to make a good quality photo for an exibition.

And yess, the patch improved it, the program does not crash anymore.

Still Hugin and Microsoft Live Photo Gallery are many times faster and makes the job with so much better memory handling. Will Serif catch up?

Thanks for the help!

Sweedie

Old 7th April 2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Geoff Blanthorn

On:3/17/2008 2:19:21 PM - Patrick Connor wrote:
Quote:
If you are using Windows 98SE or ME you may have a problem installing this patch. If you do please contact Technical Support.
Patrick,

I get a message: An Unknown Patch error occurred.

Technical Support have replied:

This message normally occurs when you always have the patch installed. You can check this by clicking Help > About Panorama Plus. It should be running Panorama Plus build 3.0.0.009. If you are running this version, everything is fine. If you are not running this version, click Help > Check for updates and the program will install the update for you.

Are they unaware of 3.0.1.013, or, contrary to your message, is this new patch not applicable to W98SE/ME? Using "Check for Update" still gives that same message, and PnP3 remains at 3.0.0.9.

Geoff