Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 29th June 2014, 03:04 PM   #1
masasa

masasa is on a distinguished road
Default automatic page height for a booking code (hotel)

Hi,
is it possible in wp7 to make the page high from 2000px to automatic high? I have an html code for an booking code from hotel. So the high from the page is on every step not the same. Can anyone help me?
Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Martin Taylor
Expert

Martin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant future
Default Re: automatic page height for a booking code (hotel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masasa View Post
Hi,
is it possible in wp7 to make the page high from 2000px to automatic high? I have an html code for an booking code from hotel. So the high from the page is on every step not the same. Can anyone help me?
Thanks
Unfortunately, no, in WP you cannot have a page whose height changes to fit the content. Everything has a fixed size and position.
Old 29th June 2014, 04:24 PM   #3
masasa

masasa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Taylor View Post
Unfortunately, no, in WP you cannot have a page whose height changes to fit the content. Everything has a fixed size and position.
Thanks Martin!
Old 29th June 2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Gaga
Advanced Member

Gaga is a glorious beacon of lightGaga is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by masasa View Post
Hi,
Thanks
Yes, you can do that in X6 and although I don't have X7 myself I would be amazed if you could not also do it in X7. Presumably the HTML for your booking code is inside a Div and the height of that Div changes depending on the circumstances (or something like that). In such a case then the displayed height of the page should automatically increase accordingly (the body will not do so, which can be important in some circumstances, but it is easy to add code to fix that). everything on your page will remain in their normal fixed position but you can easily add Javascript code to check the actual height of your "booking Div" whenever it changes and to then change the position of other elements, including your footer etc, accordingly. Ideally you would like the Div itself (your included booking HTML code) to automatically generate an event when its height or position changes, but that is not essential an if it is outside your own control then you can code around it. It is all very doable.

Mike
Old 29th June 2014, 08:29 PM   #5
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

As Mike says the code for the booking object would change its height according to its needs. The problem is that it may change but other objects will not move (down) to accommodate it, so it could end up overlapping say your footer for example.

One way around this would be to have your have all the objects that need to go beneath the booking form on another page, say footer.html. Your booking code right at the end then contain code similar to the one below..

<iframe id="footer" name="footer" src="footer.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="position:relative;left:0px;bottom:5px;width :960px;height:55px;">Footer</iframe>

..to display the footer page via an iframe. Thereby as the booking object +/- in size the footer always stays at the end.

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 29th June 2014, 08:47 PM   #6
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
As Mike says the code for the booking object would change its height according to its needs. The problem is that it may change but other objects will not move (down) to accommodate it, so it could end up overlapping say your footer for example.

One way around this would be to have your have all the objects that need to go beneath the booking form on another page, say footer.html. Your booking code right at the end then contain code similar to the one below..

<iframe id="footer" name="footer" src="footer.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="position:relative;left:0px;bottom:5px;width :960px;height:55px;">Footer</iframe>

..to display the footer page via an iframe. Thereby as the booking object +/- in size the footer always stays at the end.
In a similar situation I have put footer content in a panel and used JavaScript to shift the panel by the same amount as each change in page height.
Old 29th June 2014, 09:35 PM   #7
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course one option would be not to have a footer. Simply put the 'Footer' items in a sidebar.

Footers are not a compulsory feature of a web site.
Old 29th June 2014, 09:57 PM   #8
Gaga
Advanced Member

Gaga is a glorious beacon of lightGaga is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc212 View Post
Of course one option would be not to have a footer. Simply put the 'Footer' items in a sidebar.

Footers are not a compulsory feature of a web site.
Yep, that's true, but the reason I gave my own specific solution of using Javascript to measure the size of the booking Div whenever it changed and to then use the same code to reposition other page elements accordingly is that I didn't know (and still don't know) the layout of the OP's page and in fact he could have this Div almost anywhere on it, and it is also theoretically possible that the Div's width could change as well as its height so I decided that the method I suggested would be the most flexible to accommodate all layout possibilities. The OP of course, who knows his page layout, should use whichever of all the solutions offered happens to be the simplest for his own specific layout.

Mike
Old 29th June 2014, 10:58 PM   #9
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaga View Post
Yep, that's true, but the reason I gave my own specific solution of using Javascript to measure the size of the booking Div whenever it changed and to then use the same code to reposition other page elements accordingly is that I didn't know (and still don't know) the layout of the OP's page and in fact he could have this Div almost anywhere on it, and it is also theoretically possible that the Div's width could change as well as its height so I decided that the method I suggested would be the most flexible to accommodate all layout possibilities. The OP of course, who knows his page layout, should use whichever of all the solutions offered happens to be the simplest for his own specific layout.

Mike
Quite, without actually seeing the page in question it is difficult to say which is the best course of action to take.

I should perhaps have said in the post above that it is a good idea to take into account any desired function that could impinge on the rigid positioning when deciding on a page layout at the outset.