Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 26th April 2014, 09:36 PM   #21
BroadwayLion

BroadwayLion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WebPlus X8 - Wishlist #1

For WebPlus, and actually for all Serif Products...

I was using the Resource Manager, and wanted to keep it open while I was fixing things, but the program would not let me keep a dialog box open while editing the project.

I had to close the dialog in order to edit, and then reopen it to navigate to the next missing link (or whatever).

Our website is older than the last three computers and is also one company domain beyond some of the links. OF COURSE they are broken!

I have gotten into the habit of checking to be sure that all photos are embedded. Perhaps a PagePlus document does not need such long-lived links, but in WebPlus it is absolutely imperative that all resources MUST be embedded.

Elias
Old 27th April 2014, 12:57 AM   #22
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayLion View Post
...I have gotten into the habit of checking to be sure that all photos are embedded...in WebPlus it is absolutely imperative that all resources MUST be embedded.
Uh, no it's not. I choose not to embed. Ever.

But it is nice that one can do so if desired.
Old 27th April 2014, 09:34 AM   #23
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
Uh, no it's not. I choose not to embed. Ever.

But it is nice that one can do so if desired.
I never embed resources, either: it makes for a much too bulky .wpp file that can become sluggish. It also means lots of enormous back-up files, especially if the .wpp project is image-intensive. There are other advantages to linking versus embedding, too: if the linked resource is altered in an external application, then the next time the .wpp file is opened, that change is reflected.

Of course, linking does require better organisation of resources: you need to be certain that you are not going to accidentally move or delete them. Embedding resources is only really any use if you are sharing a .wpp file, but even then, more and more people are using file sharing services like DropBox and keeping all resources in folders there, so embedding can be superfluous to requirements.

Old 27th April 2014, 09:39 AM   #24
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

What WebPlus X8 needs is Save as Package, like PagePlus, to save a site with all resources (including fonts) embedded for easy transfer to other PCs.

Like others, I always link files to make file open, save, and backup faster. I think it also means that file corruption is less likely to happen.
Old 27th April 2014, 01:57 PM   #25
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
What WebPlus X8 needs is Save as Package, like PagePlus, to save a site with all resources (including fonts) embedded for easy transfer to other PCs.

Like others, I always link files to make file open, save, and backup faster. I think it also means that file corruption is less likely to happen.
Agreed, and it has been on the wishlist for a long, long time!

Old 27th April 2014, 02:46 PM   #26
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

Quote:

I agree about the packaging as well. It would help people who do not organize and use appropriate sub-folders for resources to move and exchange files.

I cannot remember anymore, but if resources are in sub-folders of the project/site folder, if W+ used relative paths to those resources, that would be incredibly useful. (Same with PP.)
Old 27th April 2014, 05:13 PM   #27
BroadwayLion

BroadwayLion is on a distinguished road

The life of a website is measured in decades, the life of a computer is measured in years.

I want to be able to sit down at any computer in our organization, open the wpp file and find all of the resources that I need right there.

Some of the linked resources were pointed bask to a Windows Domain that was long since replaced. They pointed back to a user name that had long since been deleted.

Computers come and go. I'll pay for the loading time of a huge file, and I'll pay for the disk space to hold it. And that is a thing that I precisely DO NOT WANT, is for some joker to make changes to a linked resource.

I'll gladly put all of my eggs in one basket, and then replicate that file to three different computers AND to a good cloud backup.

If you have a fire that takes out your main servers, wouldn't be nice to have those photos embedded in the cloud.

But then the problem was started with Serif! YUP, I got a note on the screen saying something about using a different version and needing to re-upload the entire website. THAT is when the on-line version came up with voids in it, because the links were long gone. It is true, I *can* set up my document to do that (if I would think to do so), and others may choose to link by default, (go to it -- it is your project!)

BUT...

Be that as it may, my ORIGINAL request was for a Resource Manager that opened in a new window rather than in a dialog box. I want to keep the Resource Manager open while I edit the wpp document. As a dialog, it must be closed again before editing may resume. THAT is a pain in the keyboard! And THAT should be an easy enough modification to make across the whole product line.

Elias
Old 27th April 2014, 05:51 PM   #28
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
I agree about the packaging as well. It would help people who do not organize and use appropriate sub-folders for resources to move and exchange files.

I cannot remember anymore, but if resources are in sub-folders of the project/site folder, if W+ used relative paths to those resources, that would be incredibly useful. (Same with PP.)
I agree too.

See this thread: WebPlus X6: Moving Website Resources - Relative Addressing

Which discusses the topic.

Relative addressing does not work for image in galleries - but everything else seems to.
Old 28th April 2014, 01:09 AM   #29
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Agreed!
Old 28th April 2014, 01:45 AM   #30
MikeW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alspar View Post
I agree too.

See this thread: WebPlus X6: Moving Website Resources - Relative Addressing

Which discusses the topic.

Relative addressing does not work for image in galleries - but everything else seems to.
Thanks, Alan.

The few sites I have worked on in the past used folders below the project folder. It's just been too long since I did one and evidently was too lazy to open W+ to check.

Mike
Old 28th April 2014, 06:14 AM   #31
alltrade

alltrade is on a distinguished road

I was planning on upgrading soon from X5. I don't want to buy 7 if X8 is coming soon though. Does anyone know when Webplus X8 will be out? Thanks

goqualityfinance.com
Old 28th April 2014, 09:21 AM   #32
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltrade View Post
Does anyone know when Webplus X8 will be out?
Nobody knows yet probably not even Serif staff. WebPlus X7 was only released in November, so don't expect X8 before next year.
Old 4th May 2014, 12:33 AM   #33
millerd

millerd is on a distinguished road

Greetings:

I would like to see better usability with the content management system (CMS).

But I love Serif
Old 7th May 2014, 12:57 AM   #34
TheRedHedgehog

TheRedHedgehog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WebPlus X8 - Wishlist #1 My Designs, Graphics, Page Content etc

The following functionality would be seriously useful.

1 The functionality to be able to put titles on each box of content, with a macro to display or not display the titles. (Or an 'on/off' button which I can set to a macro myself.

2 The actual contents of the box to display as a rollover popup when you hover over it.

3 A grouping function within each of them.
Old 13th May 2014, 01:15 AM   #35
TheRedHedgehog

Default Re: WebPlus X8 - Wishlist #1 'Format Painter'

I find it impossible to use the styles in WebPlus. If you go into the list, there are dozens of the things, created automatically from every different thing you've done. The text ones are hard to distinguish from the paragraph layouts. Yet any attempt to organise them is doomed; There's no folder system.

So, an increidbly useful feature would be the FORMAT PAINTER functionality you get in Microsoft word, by which you tap within a formatting you want, then run the mouse across the text you want to format, and the customisation is done.

That would save heaps of time.
Old 13th May 2014, 01:16 AM   #36
TheRedHedgehog

Default Re: WebPlus X8 - Wishlist #1 Font Increase / Decrease

Likewise, another Microsoft functionality I could do with is the toolbar icon that allows you to increase or decrease the font size on a piece of text, without having to go into the font size box.
Old 21st May 2014, 08:57 AM   #37
TheRedHedgehog

Default Re: WebPlus X8 - Wishlist #1 ASSETS PACKS

1. When an assets pack is open, the asset pack filename should display in the panel, either before My Designs or after Resource Files.

2. The item that displays in Pictures / Page / Page Content etc in a box enlarges slightly on mouse roll-over, but only very slightly. Could it not zoom larger so it's easier to see what it is?

3. The name that attaches over an item is likewise hard to read. The text is black and when it displays over a black quick shape or dark page design, is hard to read. Could the name display underneath the object, black text on white?
Old 21st May 2014, 08:59 AM   #38
TheRedHedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltrade View Post
I was planning on upgrading soon from X5. I don't want to buy 7 if X8 is coming soon though. Does anyone know when Webplus X8 will be out? Thanks

goqualityfinance.com
I wouldn't hang about if you're still on WebPlus 5. Recommend you upgrade anyway. Webplus 7 is fantastic. I started on version 6, but there are vast improvements in 7.
Old 14th June 2014, 03:20 PM   #39
Rushdydesign

Rushdydesign is on a distinguished road

Fluid Backgrounds!