Ticket submitted 15th June 2012.
Old 15th June 2012, 03:17 PM   #42
Art

Art is a jewel in the roughArt is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Basics Features Missing or Broken : DrawPlus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumeco View Post
Which version are you using, Art?

For me it's as if the handles are influenced by a totally different grid to the nodes, one that is offset. They do snap in PagePlus, but not as they should. I've looked at everything to do with snapping and grids and nothing makes it work normally.
PP6 - Just to check, you are using Align Centre as the stroke alignment when you are drawing your lines. Align Outer or Inner will not be correct as the handle will snap to the edge of the line that is on the guide if you follow me.

Art

** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem **
Old 15th June 2012, 11:59 PM   #43
pumeco

pumeco is on a distinguished road

@civiliza
That sounded so promising when I read it but it's still not making any difference for me. The snapping is screwed-up in both DP and PP even when I try using either of them in inches mode.

When you say you can snap the handles after they've been placed, are you talking about PP or DP?

For me, DrawPlus simply will not allow handles to snap after they've been placed, and placing them in the first place is even more of a nightmare because of the grid offset issue (thanks for reporting it BTW, I appreciate it).

@Art
Thanks for the clarification, and yes, already considered that. At least now civiliza has noticed it too, I know it's not something I'm doing. I just hope Serif will fix the grid and enable handle snapping after the handles have been placed (in DrawPlus mainly, but PagePlus as well if possible).

I can understand adi's request for more diverse snapping options as well, DrawPlus is a bit thin on the ground in that respect. On the plus side, the Pen Tool is otherwise nicely implemented and has plenty of node options.

Just a shame it's screwed-up like this!
Old 16th June 2012, 10:21 AM   #44
civiliza
Advanced Member

civiliza is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumeco View Post
@civiliza

When you say you can snap the handles after they've been placed, are you talking about PP or DP?
I'm sorry you misunderstood me Pumeco, I am fully aware that (unlike the Nodes) the Handles cannot be snapped at all in DrawPlus (I don't have PagePlus by the way). For what it's worth I have seconded the Handles part of your post in the DrawPlus Wishlist thread.

As such I consider it a feature (without judgement) that is just not implemented.

The ticket I have raised is on the snapping of the Nodes (ie your Grid Offset) and I raised it because it is a feature that while implemented is clearly not working the way it should.

I try not to make a judgement on whether or not a feature should be implemented, but I draw the line at features that are effectively broken.

Last edited by civiliza; 16th June 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 16th June 2012, 01:54 PM   #45
pumeco

Thanks for the clarification and for the support in the request thread, civiliza, you too adi

At the very least it's out there now, hopefully a bit more noticeable than before, and I really hope they work on both issues because I can't even use it otherwise.

Fingers crossed!
Old 3rd June 2014, 04:04 AM   #46
Joni

Joni is on a distinguished road

Hi, it has been about two years since this thread, so has there been any work on these issues in that time? Just wondering.
Old 4th June 2014, 10:16 PM   #47
adi

adi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Hi, it has been about two years since this thread, so has there been any work on these issues in that time? Just wondering.
DPX6 on Windows 7 and 8.1.1
Snapping to a metric grid with the pen tool is sloppy while drawing, nodes often miss the grid lines at main intersections, once placed a node can be moved and snapped to the grid much more accurately but having to place nodes after the fact is a boggle.

Quick Shapes will sort of snap to grid while being drawn but it's half hearted and wimpy.

The Snap just isn't snappy, there doesn't seem to be any attraction or gravity to it, like throwing darts with a rubber wrist, mehh
Old 5th June 2014, 07:18 PM   #48
pumeco

Thanks for the heads-up adi (and thanks for asking, Joni).

I've officially lost my patience with Serif now, but at least I've not spent a penny on their software. I wanted to support them, but stuff this. Perhaps now, Bhikkhu will understand why this stuff was enquired about in the manner I enquired about it.

It's because, as demonstrated yet again, Serif obviously don't grasp the importance of being able to snap handles to grids, and having a grid that actually works in a vector program.

I said it before and I'll say it again; I'm guessing Adobe and Corel must be laughing themselves senseless at the fact that Serif cannot grasp these simple 'bread'n'butter' requirements that come as standard in all vector-based design programs.

When I say all, I mean all but Serif, naturally.

Inkscape is cool, I'll use that.