Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 2nd August 2011, 09:39 PM   #21
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: PagePlus for Linux ?

I had followed Linux many years ago and was one of the first beta testers fro Xandros. I really liked that version because it was very much like Windows and very easy to use. Even tried out Lindows which had to change it's name. The linux community expects things to be free. Companies can't even make a living selling the OS. Much less applications.
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:34 PM   #22
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptiRick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
lukas said that he disagreed with Ali's statement about the consensus.
I don't believe he did.
I think it is logical to assume (given that neither of us know for sure) that he was disagreeing with the second part of her reply given that it is this that he backs up with facts.
I find it hard to understand how you came to that conclusion, but perhaps that's because I can't see a "second part" to Ali's reply! Lukas wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas View Post
Hi,

Are there plans to make a Linux version of PagePlus and other Serifa software ?

Lukas
To which Ali replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
No. It has been raised before, and the consensus is that it is unlikely in the extreme because it would not be a financially viable venture for a company like Serif with such a tiny development team.
This elicited the following response from Lukas:
Quote:
Hello,

And thank you for your replay [sic]. I must disagree with you.
So what do you think Lukas was disagreeing with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptiRick View Post
How could he possibly be disagreeing with the consensus?
That isn't what Bhikkhu Pesala said. He said (and I agree with him) that Lukas disagreed with Ali's statement about the consensus. In other words, Ali outlined her understanding of the consensus view but Lukas seemed to think that she had got it wrong.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:54 PM   #23
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
I find it hard to understand how you came to that conclusion, but perhaps that's because I can't see a "second part" to Ali's reply! Lukas wrote:

To which Ali replied:

This elicited the following response from Lukas:
So what do you think Lukas was disagreeing with?

That isn't what Bhikkhu Pesala said. He said (and I agree with him) that Lukas disagreed with Ali's statement about the consensus. In other words, Ali outlined her understanding of the consensus view but Lukas seemed to think that she had got it wrong.

Alfred
I concur

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:28 AM   #24
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
I concur
And I'm fed up of the whole thing ... Talk about mountains out of molehills!!! I thought that Lukas was disagreeing with my summary of the consensus view, but maybe he was disagreeing with the part about it being financially viable (or not, as the case may be). Had his initial response been more explicit in this regard, we wouldn't be going round in circles like this. As it stands, I don't really think this thread is going anywhere useful.

Old 5th August 2011, 10:13 PM   #25
wstidolph

wstidolph is on a distinguished road

I second this - I am a multi-product owner (sitting here with DrawPlus X5 in my hand going back years, but I only use the Serif products occasionally because I have to reboot or go find a different computer. I'd like to use the products more often, but I won't until they run somehow under Linux ... a WINE version would be OK (that's how SparxSystems Enterprise Architect keeps me as a paying customer!) but the Serif stuff errors out during installation.

There's followon effects: since *I* seldom use the products, so I can't help with any non-trivial user issues, neither will the colleagues to whom I try to recommend it. I don't think there's a big enough market in direct Linux sales to justify the investment of a port - but, considering that Linux users are a passionate and influential bunch, and that testing and fixing under WINE would probably be the same order of magnitude as maintaining another version of Windows, maybe it could make sense?

Please?
Old 25th September 2012, 04:55 PM   #26
Billr

Billr is on a distinguished road

I know this thread is a bit old, but, of course, Linux users are always hopeful that their favorite apps from Windows will eventually make it to Linux.

I am needing to replace a Linux photo server that died on me. I've got it on life support on a very old machine but I really need a better machine (one of the many advantages of Linux is that you can just put the boot hard-drive in another machine and you're back in business). I have another machine but I keep it Windows because of PagePlus.

That puts me in a position of needing to buy a new computer (servers need to be dedicated, not dual-boot) or give up PagePlus.

This is not a trivial matter. I've been using PagePlus since 1997 for a monthly newsletter. That's 15 years of PagePlus formatted files. And I've recently passed on the reins to someone else, who has just mastered PagePlus. Learning a new set of programs and training someone all over again is out of the question. So for me, I'm biting the bullet and dedicating that one machine to PagePlus. It's a hassle protecting it from virus, etc, but, as an experienced computer user it only takes me about 2 days every few months to update it, change security programs if needed and do the scans.

However, for young users who aren't entrenched in PagePlus and just must use Linux, I would suggest comparing PagePlus to Scribus with Gimp, Inkscape and OpenOffice for your DTP needs on a Linux platform. There's also a commercial product called PageStream that is available multi-platform (including Linux) but I have no experience with it.

When the program you use is not on Linux, don't bug the program maker about it, just find a different way. Life it too short to spend in useless arguments.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:45 AM   #27
Gurb

Gurb is on a distinguished road

WINE support would be nice.

I would love to ditch Windows for something other than Mac. However I fear Linux will ever be suitable for mainstream adoption; the free mentality and licensing, while noble, seem to be a recipe for commercial disaster.

I hope Android, along with iOS, can mature over the next couple of years into a viable market for Serif's products.
Old 30th September 2012, 06:20 PM   #28
Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib is on a distinguished road

You guys should check out ReactOS then
Free, OpenSource win32 compatible OS built from the ground up in a clean-room approach.

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 30th September 2012, 06:25 PM   #29
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
Free, OpenSource win32 compatible OS built from the ground up in a clean-room approach.

I don't get it, it markets itself as "a modern OS based on Windows XP/NT" ? Windows XP is now nearly a decade old. It seems to be re-creating windows...why bother? why not just use Windows? or have i missed something

If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 30th September 2012, 06:31 PM   #30
Saijin_Naib

Quote:
I don't get it, it markets itself as "a modern OS based on Windows XP/NT" ? Windows XP is now nearly a decade old. It seems to be re-creating windows...why bother? why not just use Windows? or have i missed something
It is targeting win32 paradigms from Server 2003 era, so look/feel mostly.

The ReactOS team and the WINE team work hand-in-hand to provide binary compatibility for win32 API on linux kernel based operating systems.

If you want to ditch windows for whatever reason (not pay the license fee, or what have you) then this will provide a free/open-source OS that is designed to run win32 API applications and drivers.

If nothing else, support the ReactOS team because, like I said, they and the WINE team work hand in hand to improve win32 API compatibility in the WINE project.

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 1st October 2012, 04:52 AM   #31
Bill Schuhle

Bill Schuhle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
...Linux currently lacks a professional DTP software...
Though it's not apparently widely known, I think this DTP software would qualify as professional and is priced comparably to Serif's PagePlus.

http://www.pagestream.org/

I once purchased and installed the Windows version and found the interface to be a bit out-of-date (it reminded me an awful lot of PageMaker) and not as intuitive/user-friendly as PagePlus, but it does seem to have a full complement of professional features. I decided not to pursue learning it since I already know PagePlus well enough to do all that I want to do, but it might be worth a look as it might fulfill your wish for professional DTP software written for Linux.

Desktop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 4GB ReadyBoost
Laptop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 1.9GHz Athalon X2 QL-60, 3GB RAM, 128GB SSD
Old 1st October 2012, 05:00 AM   #32
Saijin_Naib

This may be naive, but isn't Scribus fairly powerful and feature-rich? I use it under OS/2 (eComStation)

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 6th October 2012, 09:43 AM   #33
Arun Sarkar

Arun Sarkar has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
I know it from 2009 and still in Alfa Stage.
Though I was successful to install my PP 9 on React, But did not work properly.
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:42 PM   #34
michaelak

michaelak is on a distinguished road

Since the recent released of Windows 8. I have completely given up Windows and migrated to Ubuntu Linux. There are many free open source applications that will do the job but sometimes it's nice to use commercial products with 'familiar' interface. Like Corel has released Aftershot Pro (I'm a proud owner of it) that has similar capabilities as Adobe Lightroom. Wake up Serif! Everyone knows that Linux is more stable then Windows. That's the reason why most graphic designers use Mac because OSX runs on BSD.
Old 3rd December 2012, 06:20 PM   #35
Saijin_Naib

Oh dear. It depends heavily upon the distro you're using, what kernel modules you have loaded, hardware configuaration, etc.

I have 4 hardware configurations here that are far less stable and nowhere near as fast in Linux as they are in various versions of Windows.

However, yes, if tweaked properly, most linux distros can be stable, just as Win can be incredibly stable as well.

Also, graphics designers use OSX not because of stability, but because of marketing. If you've actually used OSX for any length of time, you'll see that it is just as crash prone as any other OS.

The only OS I've used that I can say is actually far and beyond more stable than anything else is AIX, but that isn't exactly consumer grade.

That being said, I'd rather not see Serif pour resources into a dedicated linux version, but rather in ensuring the Serif products can be run through WINE.

Brett Edmond Carlock
Old 4th December 2012, 05:00 PM   #36
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelak View Post
Everyone knows that Linux is more stable then Windows.
Yep, really good Apple marketing. Drink the koolaid. Give me five min on any Mac and I can crash it. One time all I did was accidentally laid my arm on the keyboard and got the 'circle of death'.
Old 4th December 2012, 07:15 PM   #37
Bill Schuhle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
Yep, really good Apple marketing. Drink the koolaid. Give me five min on any Mac and I can crash it. One time all I did was accidentally laid my arm on the keyboard and got the 'circle of death'.
My recollection is that Mac OSX originated as a version of Unix, tweaked by Jobs' crew at NEXT Computer, which Jobs then brought with him as part of the package when he returned to Apple where it was further tweaked into something called Apple Unix, given a pretty face, and christened Mac OSX. I don't believe Linux was involved anywhere and someone else earlier in this thread said that Linux was a completely different development from Unix (though I had always assumed, given the name, that it was a form thereof).

Desktop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 4GB ReadyBoost
Old 4th December 2012, 07:17 PM   #38
Naz
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Schuhle View Post
My recollection is that Mac OSX originated as a version of Unix, tweaked by Jobs' crew at NEXT Computer, which Jobs then brought with him as part of the package when he returned to Apple where it was further tweaked into something called Apple Unix, given a pretty face, and christened Mac OSX. I don't believe Linux was involved anywhere and someone else earlier in this thread said that Linux was a completely different development from Unix (though I had always assumed, given the name, that it was a form thereof).

Bring back DOS!!!

Old 4th December 2012, 07:24 PM   #39
Bill Schuhle

Quote:
Bring back DOS!!!
No thanks...

Old 4th December 2012, 10:10 PM   #40
PlusDesign

PlusDesign is on a distinguished road

I believe Hell is a place with hundreds of threads like this.