Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > Scan, Stitch & Share

Notices

Scan, Stitch & Share Questions about using Scan, Stitch & Share for scanning and assembling large documents

Old 21st February 2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Dollyknitts

Dollyknitts is on a distinguished road
Default unable to scan

When I try to scan a document it tells that 'An error occurred - The paremeter is incorrect', and I can go no further. Could anyone help on this. I have a HP7500a printer scanner. It will let me scan a preview.
Old 21st February 2011, 07:09 PM   #2
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future
Default Re: unable to scan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollyknitts View Post
When I try to scan a document it tells that 'An error occurred - The paremeter is incorrect', and I can go no further. Could anyone help on this. I have a HP7500a printer scanner. It will let me scan a preview.
My ancient HP scanners work fine.

Are you using the TWAIN driver (which uses the HP software), or the WIA driver?

Which version of MS Windows?
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 21st February 2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Dollyknitts

It uses the usb WIA option but if I try the twain option it still will not work.
Old 21st February 2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

As a work around for now, you could scan using IrfanView, or some other program, save the individual scans, then load them in SSS to stitch them.
Old 21st February 2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Dollyknitts

I have resorted to doing that and I now find that both projects that I have tried to stitch will not do it. It tells me that 'images cannot be stitched as no matching features can be found'. The items I tried to stitch were two pages from a book, one with text and the other with text and picture. I am so annoyed at myself for buying this software. I have since learnt that photoshop elements do a photo merge so I will be trying that and hope it works. Thanks for the replies.
Old 21st February 2011, 11:10 PM   #6
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I now find that both projects that I have tried to stitch will not do it. It tells me that 'images cannot be stitched as no matching features can be found'.
You have to allow a significant overlap of the two images. As much as 30% IIRC.

If Serif cannot get your scanner to work with the software, then you may as well ask for a refund. There are so many different scanners on the market that it is impossible to test with them all.

A free alternative is Microsoft's Image Composite Editor. I find it easier to use, but you will still have to scan and save the images first, and again, you will need a good overlap on the images for it to work.

Serif say that their stitching algorithm is better. Try and see is the best way to find out.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21st February 2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 21st February 2011, 11:15 PM   #7
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
I have resorted to doing that and I now find that both projects that I have tried to stitch will not do it. It tells me that 'images cannot be stitched as no matching features can be found'. The items I tried to stitch were two pages from a book, one with text and the other with text and picture. I am so annoyed at myself for buying this software. I have since learnt that photoshop elements do a photo merge so I will be trying that and hope it works. Thanks for the replies.
I don't have SSS installed on this PC. But I have successfully used it to stitch image files (actually JPGs, photos of a long banner).

As far as I remember, there were a couple of situations which triggered the "no matching features" error message:

- Insufficient overlap: There must be a generous overlap between images.

- Too many Pixels: There is a maximum limit on the number of Pixels in the stitched image.

ps. If you're still within the "money-back" time, you could contact Serif for a refund.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 21st February 2011, 11:25 PM   #8
Dollyknitts

Thankyou for your replies, I have now tried the photoshop elements that I have installed and have used the photomerge (never knew it was there until I did a search on the internet for solutions) it works just fine for what I need it for.
Old 21st February 2011, 11:30 PM   #9
RichardS
Master

Quote:
Thankyou for your replies, I have now tried the photoshop elements that I have installed and have used the photomerge (never knew it was there until I did a search on the internet for solutions) it works just fine for what I need it for.
Glad it worked.