Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 16th February 2011, 01:07 AM   #1
wcmozart

wcmozart is on a distinguished road
Default Q re using ICC profile for a color printer in PPX4

Have PPX4, am running Wdoz 7.

I now have an Epson Artisan 835 color inkjet printer and I will be using Inkpress paper (tends to be cheaper and about as good). I have downloaded the appropriate Inkpress ICC profile, and stuck it in the correct folder (Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color)

Now, I enable color management in PPX4, click proof for current printer profile, and select the Inkpress printer ICCprofile.

Question:
To use the Inkpress ICC profile, in the Epson printer dialog, in the Color Management options, I need to select the ICM radio button. In the options below the radio button, I need to select “Off (No Color Adjustment)”.

These settings assume that PPX4 is handling ALL COLOR MANAGEMENT, INCLUDING PRINTING .. is this correct???

This is not clear from what is said in the PPX4 manual .. if I click 'proof for current printer profile', the manual mentions this previews the document on my screen using the printer color profile.

However, it does NOT say if this printer profile is used when the document is actually printed

So the question is -- is PPX4 doing all the color management through to the actual printing????

If not, how do I get printing to use the Inkpress ICC profile (I cant do this via the Epson print dialogue -- this only handles Epson ICC profiles). Or don't I ??
Old 16th February 2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Adam
Serif Europe Limited

Adam is a glorious beacon of lightAdam is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Q re using ICC profile for a color printer in PPX4

Hi wcmozart,

PagePlus X4 and X5 do *not* manage the colour handling in the print path. You have to instead set it up in the printer driver. As you have correctly deduced PagePlus does allow you to proof the print job on screen.

This is a known limitation and implementing the feature is present on the PagePlus Road Map but I'm afraid I can't really give you a time scale at the moment.
Old 16th February 2011, 08:22 PM   #3
wcmozart

Thanx Adam for the info -- I thought this was the case, though I was hoping PPX5 managed the print path, given the wording in the manual which I downloaded (the wording is a bit misleading, I might add .. it implies PPX5 does manage the print path).

I guess being able to have a screen preview of what the result will look like is only useful if you can actually print using the ICC paper profile you have chosen to preview .. which at the moment, I'm guessing, would require some kind of generic printer driver, since printer manufacturers seem to support only their papers

re two other Serif products -- PhotoPlus, DrawPlus -- do they have this same limitation at the moment??? ie they do not control the actual printing???

If these do have this limitation .. I guess I will be restricted to the papers the printer manufacturer makes, since they seem to only deal with their own ICC paper profiles and do not let you substitute others .. will have to keep this in mind
Old 17th February 2011, 02:38 AM   #4
DDW

DDW is on a distinguished road

You can still use the ICC profile. Go into your Printer Properties through the control panel, and select "Color Management". (In Windows 7, you'll have to select your printer at this point.) Now you can select the "Add" button to add your paper profile, then you can select the profile and set it as the default profile for your printer. Close the dialogs, and it will be used when you next print. (No need to reboot.) At that point, everything you print (unless that application specifically handles color profiles) will use the selected profile.

Hope that helps!
Old 17th February 2011, 06:27 PM   #5
wcmozart

thanks a lot -- would have never found this ..

question I have ..

in wdoz 7 .. went to the color management screen, advanced, system defaults, devices, selected my epson printer, set profile selection - manual, added the ICC profile for the paper I have, selected this as the default profile and closed things up

now when i go to print, and the epson print dialog pops up, it still looks the same, and still gives me the same choices i had previously (I pick the paper i have put into the printer, and it selects the appropriate profile to use).. the above default setting is not shown anywhere

so my question is -- does the default setting i established in the color mamagement area now OVERIDE the epson print dialogue, or does the epson print dialogue overide / discard the default setting so i end up where i was before???

Or in the epson print dialogue do i have to select ICM and then their 'no color mamagement' button (however i think this approach is only used when the application - like PPX4 or 5 or eg photoshop - has complete contro over everything)
Old 17th February 2011, 06:52 PM   #6
DDW

You shouldn't have to do anything in the Epson print dialog as far as ICM and color management, just select your paper type and the print quality. If you select "No ICM", that may disable the ICC profile? I don't believe I've tried that. The only other thing to set, or not set are things like "photo enhance" which would be "on top" of the ICC profile.

The best thing, obviously, is to try it. Install the ICC profile, set the print dialog as you wish (without messing with the ICM section) and print something. Now go back and take the ICC profile out of the "color management" section, save, and reprint using the same printer dialog settings and paper. Compare the two printouts. Depending on how dramatic the ICC profile is, you should see a noticeable difference in certain colors. (Obviously, the more colorful your printout, the more chances to see differences with and without the profile.)

Hope that helps!
Old 17th February 2011, 09:01 PM   #7
wcmozart

thanks !! great advice -- will try

I am wondering what exactly the following excerpt from the PPX5 Users Guide I downloaded means(in particular the second sentence) .. ie in what way has the color management in PPX5 has been improved over PPX4 .. hopefully someone from serif will read this and answer ..

" Improved Colour Management (see PagePlus Help) ..Manage colour for multiple images with different embedded ICC profiles—allow or ignore image colour conversion to the document's working space.

RGB and CMYK images display correctly to screen and print.

( etc etc)"
Old 17th February 2011, 10:49 PM   #8
DDW

Good question, and I could only guess at an answer. But if I had to guess, then possibly if you have images with embedded ICC profiles, you can tell PPX5 to use or ignore those profiles when it is displaying and/or printing those images. Again, that's only a guess.

Hopefully someone with real knowledge will jump in and let us know for sure.

--
Dave D-W