Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > Scan, Stitch & Share

Notices

Scan, Stitch & Share Questions about using Scan, Stitch & Share for scanning and assembling large documents

Old 6th August 2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold
Default Serif launches Scan, Stitch & Share

Hello everyone!

Serif is delighted to announce the launch of Scan, Stitch & Share, the brand new program that makes the scanning and saving of large documents easier than ever before. Use Scan, Stitch & Share to seamlessly combine then digitally store and share printed documents that are too large to be scanned as one complete image by flatbed scanners. Now you can digitally preserve documents on your PC without the inconvenience of having to view segments separately.

Fully automated and optimised to stitch all types of scans with accuracy, Scan Stitch & Share is ideal for use with all types of home and office documents. It can be used to stitch:

Home: Building Plans & Diagrams, Children’s Drawings, Newspapers & Magazines, Posters, Scrapbooks

Business: Long Bills & Contracts, Portfolios, Press clippings, Maps, Marketing Materials

...and nearly anything else you can think of!

Some of the excellent features and benefits include:

Simple Scanning and Importing: Easily scan in multiple images and stitch them together seamlessly.

Works With All Scanners: Scan, Stitch & Share works with all TWAIN/WIA compatible scanning devices.

Automated Image Stitching: No matter which way the images are rotated, Scan, Stitch & Share will automatically detect the overlapping features of your documents.

Easy Sharing: Export and share your documents as a PDF, an image file, via email, or directly upload them to Flickr, Facebook, or DaisyTrail.

Find out more about Scan, Stitch & Share on Serif.com
Old 6th August 2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Serif launches Scan, Stitch & Share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
Automated Image Stitching: No matter which way the images are rotated, Scan, Stitch & Share will automatically detect the overlapping features of your documents.
Hmmmm. almost sounds like PanoPlus has found a new use.

I've read the S3 pages and the forum posts, but I didn't see (or perhaps didn't notice) a specific mention that a scanned and stitched document that contains text, whether that text is rendered in an editable form. Is the scanned text editable in the current S3?

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 6th August 2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jim,

SSS works only on flat images, it doesn't do OCR or anything similar to pick up text in the scanned documents.
Old 6th August 2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
SSS works only on flat images, it doesn't do OCR or anything similar to pick up text in the scanned documents.
Ah, ok. Thanks.

Woulda been nice as an alternative to Nuance or Abbyy, etc. especially at the Serif price for S3.

I'm (still) using TextBridge Pro 11.

Old 8th August 2009, 02:21 AM   #5
Saberking13

Saberking13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mmm, this sounds important. Hey, this is a historical document here, and should not be tempered with

Involving the software, it sounds very useful

Good job, but to whom?
Old 11th August 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
David J. Billingham

David J. Billingham is on a distinguished road

Saberking13, what is it that you are asking exactly?
Old 11th August 2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Saberking13

Saberking13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Umm, I dunno actualy, to be honest.
I think I was just saying good job and the new software sounds good, or something like that
Old 12th August 2009, 10:14 AM   #8
kewlkiwi

kewlkiwi is on a distinguished road

I can think of at least one use for this straight off - scanning paper maps to be used with GPS software.

It would depend, of course, on how accurate the program is, and if it has any options to 'prioritize' features on the scans, such as grid lines (which can be somewhat faint)

Bob
Old 13th August 2009, 08:35 PM   #9
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Hi Jim,

I could have done with this a couple of years ago . I had some old Christmas sheet music for sale on ebay and the person buying was worried that the piano player, who was an old lady in an old people's home, wouldn't be able to read it with her poor eyesight. I suggested scanning the music and printing it out at a higher magnification but that was a difficult job, because even though I have an A3 printer, my scanner is only A4.This would have made that job a lot easier.
Old 25th August 2009, 10:40 PM   #10
PaulEast

PaulEast is on a distinguished road

Yes, I think the only snag is that this is the sort of job that only comes along once in a few years - and then you're really grateful for anyhting that makes it easy! I notice above a query about OCR and a mention of ABBY, which I have. I know I paid very little for it and it still seems top outperform the Omnipage top-of-range! I guess the recognition algorithm is very different as font-type never seems to be a problem. Something to do with being developed for Cyrillic users, perhaps?
Old 4th November 2009, 11:05 PM   #11
John W

John W is on a distinguished road

Serif on the phone tonight informing me of the product. Sounds useful but it's only for scanned images? if it could stitch digital photographs I could probably use it as panorama only stitches horizontally I believe.
Old 5th November 2009, 06:40 AM   #12
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W View Post
If it could stitch digital photographs I could probably use it as panorama only stitches horizontally I believe.
It will also stitch screen captures or digital camera images.

The resulting image size is limited though so you might have trouble stitching high resolution digital camera images. I was unable to stich two 600 dpi scans on my hardware (each approx 4750 x 6000 pixels) with a generous overlap.

I don't have Panorama Plus but if it can stitch horizontally, you could simply rotate the images to stitch them vertically, then rotate the stitched image back again.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 6th November 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 6th November 2009, 07:12 PM   #13
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
panorama only stitches horizontally I believe.
John,

I haven't used PanoramaPlus for a long time and I don't currently have it installed. However, I'm pretty sure version 3 stitches either horizontally or vertically (but not both at the same time) so you could presumably use it several times to create a set of strips, and then stitch those strips together.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 6th November 2009, 08:59 PM   #14
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
I'm pretty sure version 3 stitches either horizontally or vertically (but not both at the same time)
I think that PanoPlus 3 can stitch H, or V, or both!

From the PanoPlus web page:

Quote:
PanoramaPlus 3 works in two dimensions, creating vertical as well as horizontal panoramas – the sky’s the limit!
And PanoPlus is based on Autostitch which can do "2D" panos/stitches.

I've got PanoPlus 3 installed, but I've never used it to create a 2D "panorama".

Hmmm. A potential weekend project.

Old 6th November 2009, 10:43 PM   #15
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
I think that PanoPlus 3 can stitch H, or V, or both!
Thanks for that, Jim. If it can do both at the same time it would, of course, make the whole process much easier!

Quote:
Hmmm. A potential weekend project.
I'm sure we can rely on you to report back if such a project comes to fruition.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 7th November 2009, 04:34 PM   #16
David J. Billingham

David J. Billingham is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
And PanoPlus is based on Autostitch which can do "2D" panos/stitches.
So is 3S.
Old 7th November 2009, 04:58 PM   #17
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
I'm sure we can rely on you to report back if such a project comes to fruition.

Alfred
I have only used it to stitch horizontal panorama, but if memory serves me right (and I can't confirm this just at the moment), there is a tutorial in the manual that uses what is effectively a 3x5 (?) grid of photos to stitch a panorama shot of the inner courtyard of the Trent Building at Nottingham University (which is almost nextdoor to the Portland Building, famous for its Portland stone and funded by Jesse Boot, I believe, the name behind Boot's the Chemist ... I digress). This would suggest that it can stitch in both directions at once. I did once run through the tutorial, and it worked.

Old 7th November 2009, 08:41 PM   #18
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
I have only used it to stitch horizontal panorama, but if memory serves me right (and I can't confirm this just at the moment), there is a tutorial in the manual that uses what is effectively a 3x5
Both PnP and 3S will stitch pictures that overlap regardless of which bits overlap, top, bottom, side or corners. This is evident in some of the samples provided, and confirmed by my own experiences. Landscape and portrait orientation can also be mixed, and they can be loaded in any order. They are amazingly clever programs!

It may in some instances be necessary to rotate some pictures, or stitch them in small batches, then stitch the batches, to get the best results. And you need patience. The process can take a few minutes.

Geoff
Old 8th November 2009, 10:13 AM   #19
John W

John W is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your posts and you are correct PnP does indeed stitch vertically so that helps me out

Then I can't think of a need for S3.

Photo zoom was another bit of software Serif tried to sell to me, anyone used it?
Old 8th November 2009, 10:26 AM   #20
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Photo zoom was another bit of software Serif tried to sell to me, anyone used it?
Yes, it works very well, usually giving better results than can be obtained with PhP.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.