Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

View Poll Results: Would you use Serif Products on a GNU platform?
Yes I want a GNU versions of Serif products 56 66.67%
Not interested in any GNU version 21 25.00%
I am intersted in a OSX version 13 15.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th April 2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Greg
Advanced Member

Greg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vote for Serif on a Linux platform

Please vote for Serif on a Linux platform
Old 8th April 2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Adam
Serif Europe Limited

Adam is a glorious beacon of lightAdam is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Vote for Serif on a Linux platform

How much would you be prepared to pay for Serif on a Linux Platform?
Old 8th April 2009, 12:56 PM   #3
KeithSloan

KeithSloan is on a distinguished road

I would pay the same amount as for Windows versions.

I do not buy new versions because I use Ubuntu and before that I had Windows 2000 so could not run the latest versions anyway. If the new versions worked on Wine/Crossover I would go for them.
Old 8th April 2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Greg
Advanced Member

Greg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I would probably pay the same as the windows version. Not more, I want to be encouraged to move away from M$.

I do not expect all the Serif titles on Linux, there are some very good software titles for free already and there is no point in trying to compete if your main point in being in business is to make a profit. On the other hand, if Serif do have free Linux versions of their software I would like to give it a go
Old 9th April 2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Ken Cope
Expert

Ken Cope is just really niceKen Cope is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Hello Adam,

I would be prepared to pay the same as on Windows. Just because the OS is Open Source and in some cases free (like in Ubuntu - my Linux OS), doesn't mean the software has to be free. I know Serif are not in the same league, but the Linux platform of Maya has just as heavy a price tag as the Windows version.

I strongly believe there will be a move towards Linux over the next few years, possibly reaching a 25% market share in OS. I'd like to see more than this, but many manufacturers will still be tied into the Microsoft bundled OS. If it wasn't for this fact, I don't think many end users would bat an eylid if the OS were MS or Linux - particularly some of the larger flavours like Ubuntu. Some of the new Netbooks are introducing a wider audience to Linux than ever before because they don't rely on such high power and resource hungry OS. Ubuntu have released a Netbook targeted OS this month.

In many ways a cut down Serif version could be free - no different to PhotoPlus SE being free for Windows users, but the full version charged for. Let's face it the software is being developed by a commercial company so it should be expected there will be a financial cost involved when downloading the software. Crossover is not free - I've not bought into it because my favourite programs (Serif stable) are not tested to be compatible.

I don't know how typical a user I am though

Windows 10 64bit AMD A10-6700 APU AMD Radeon HD8670D + R7 240 2GB Dual Graphics 16GB DDR3 Ram
Old 9th April 2009, 10:12 PM   #6
PaulD
Sans Serif

PaulD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cope View Post
many manufacturers will still be tied into the Microsoft bundled OS.
Shouldn't that read "tied into Micrsoft's bungled OS" ?

Quote:
Ubuntu have released a Netbook targeted OS this month.
Do you mean "Easy-Peasy" - the Distro formerly known as eee-Ubuntu ?

If so, it's not a core part of the Ubuntu project, but an offshoot Distro - however it still rocks and is a mega simple install.

Looks the dog's doodahs as well on my Eee 1000...

PaulD

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
I occasionally post pointless drivel on Twitter
Old 10th April 2009, 10:33 AM   #7
Ken Cope
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Shouldn't that read "tied into Micrsoft's bungled OS" ?
Sounds about right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Do you mean "Easy-Peasy" - the Distro formerly known as eee-Ubuntu ?

If so, it's not a core part of the Ubuntu project, but an offshoot Distro - however it still rocks and is a mega simple install.

Looks the dog's doodahs as well on my Eee 1000...

PaulD
Not quite - a beta version is currently available - due for final version release any day now
Quote:
Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix Edition brings a new easy to use interface that is designed to be used on the smaller screens of netbook devices. This is the first release of UNR to be fully
integrated into the Ubuntu family, fully up to date with the latest
applications and hardware support.
Certainly the best OS IMHO

Windows 10 64bit AMD A10-6700 APU AMD Radeon HD8670D + R7 240 2GB Dual Graphics 16GB DDR3 Ram
Old 10th April 2009, 10:50 AM   #8
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light

I think, as a purely commercial decision, Serif needs to get into Linux. As take-up increases those companies who have supported it will gain an advantage over those who have not.

The first application I would port to Linux is MoviePlus, because this is the greatest area of weakness in Linux software - and one of Serif's best products (although it urgently needs some patching!).

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 10th April 2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Not quite - a beta version is currently available - due for final version release any day now
IIRC, Dell has been using some form of Ubuntu's netbook remix in the Dell Netbooks at least in late 2008 & early 2009 which is one of the reasons I was considering getting the Dell Netbook when I was shopping for a netbook.

Instead of a netbook, I got an eMachines notebook with a 15.x widescreen, 160 GB HDD 1 GB RAM (expanded to 2 GB), wireless, no Windows installed or on disk, and more.

I ran the notebook long enough to see if the hardware worked, then I installed Ubuntu 8.10. The notebook (mostly) works fine, except for the wireless because I haven't spent the time to find and install the appropriate drivers.

How much would I pay for Serif on Ubuntu Linux? Possibly as high as 2X the current Windows price for PagePlus, WebPlus, DrawPlus, PhotoPlus, and PanoPlus. I either rarely or never use, or don't have, the rest of the software.

But I think a big part of the problem of developing for LINUX might be finding (or creating) alternatives for the components that Serif uses from LEAD Technologies and elsewhere, and the close ties of Serif's programs to various parts of Windows.

JMO.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 10th April 2009, 10:33 PM   #10
Ken Cope
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
IIRC, Dell has been using some form of Ubuntu's netbook remix in the Dell Netbooks at least in late 2008 & early 2009 which is one of the reasons I was considering getting the Dell Netbook when I was shopping for a netbook.
Dell have been selling notebooks and desktop machines with Ubuntu pre-installed (no M$ Windows) since May 2007 see here for the first report.

I've been an Ubuntu fan since June 2006 (Ubuntu 6.06LTS) and been upgrading to the latest version on their six monthly release cycle ever since. I prefer the Linux environment to Windows.

Our Eee 904 will be getting the new Ubuntu release in a few days time and it has resurrected an 'old' PIII 866 with 1GB of RAM, running very nicely, thank you!

I know what you mean about the lock in to LEAD with Serif, but hope the Serif take up of Linux isn't too far off!

Old 11th April 2009, 09:51 AM   #11
KeithSloan

KeithSloan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know what you mean about the lock in to LEAD with Serif, but hope the Serif take up of Linux isn't too far off!
Is this the same LEAD Technologies that support Linux
http://www.leadtools.com/home2/press/Linux_press.htm
Old 11th April 2009, 10:10 AM   #12
Ken Cope
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithSloan View Post
http://www.leadtools.com/home2/press/Linux_press.htm
Probably

Old 11th April 2009, 06:47 PM   #13
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithSloan View Post
Great!

If the LEAD Linux components are maintained similarly to the Windows components, then there is possibly one less reason for Serif to not create a Linux version of their fantastic and oh so great value-for-money software to reach an ever-increasing market of new users looking for quality software.

Old 20th May 2009, 03:31 AM   #14
cinnabardk

cinnabardk is on a distinguished road

I would be willing to pay the same price as the Windows version costs, probably a bit more. Wanted for Ubuntu Linux: Pageplus X3, and Drawplus X3. There are no substitutes for Linux that are anywhere near the featureset of either program. (just Wine support on Linux would be a good start)

I have had to re-install XP x64 bit, because I miss some essential programs on Ubuntu Linux, such as the programs mentioned above.

Unfortunately XP x64 bit is not well supported as a software platform - because not very many people use it. When there are more PAID applications that run on Linux, I will switch.
Old 20th May 2009, 08:46 AM   #15
Will(UK)

Will(UK) is on a distinguished road

Greg
as it is only my reliance on Serif programs (PP and WP) that keeps me on Windows I would have to vote with a BIG YES to Serif on Linux.

Adam
I would say the same money as for windows.

How about if you bought a Program from Serif both Windows and Linux versions would be bundled together.

Who can say how the OS scene will pan out, with MS back pedaling away from Vista and into Se7en with uncharacteristic haste, anything could happen. If Linux ends up with only 5% that is still a huge market to sell into. On Linux the office and photo market is covered with good free programs but free and paid for versions of PagePlus and WebPlus would have a field day.

Cheers - Will.

WOW- I have just noticed my spell checker is no longer flagging up PagePlus!

Last edited by Will(UK); 20th May 2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Too many repetitions
Old 20th May 2009, 09:48 PM   #16
dave61430

dave61430 is on a distinguished road

My machine just doesn't seem to like Linux. I can get 7.10 of Ubuntu to stay up and running, but then there's the problem of all the windows apps that I would have to give up. I don't experience any of the supposed problems using winxp. Vista could be another story but hopefully I will never have to use that. I'm not interested in os wars, I'll use whatever works and runs my preferred apps.
Dave Cohen
Old 21st May 2009, 03:36 PM   #17
M@tto

M@tto is on a distinguished road

Perhaps Adam would hazard a comment on the impact on Serif staffing levels. Would Serif have to take on more dev and support staff to develop both their windows core business apps and new linux versions, or could each product work on both Windows and Linux? With separate linux versions on offer and perhaps more attendant support staff, then a slice of current Serif users would switch to linux, BUT would the total sales stay about the same or struggle to increase over several years before catching up with higher operating costs?

Being an old dog I'd shy away from learning a lot of new tricks.

Personally for what I need I would not swtch to linux but will upgrade to Win7 after a patch or two. WinXp is also bundled with Win7
Old 21st May 2009, 04:20 PM   #18
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@tto View Post
WinXp is also bundled with Win7
A Windows XP virtualizer is said to be inculded only in the top three of the planned six versions of Windows 7.

Windows 7 is said to be more costly than the similar versions of Windows VISTA.

The two versions (desktop and sever) of Ubuntu Linux are free. Here is the Ubuntu home page.

WINE is said to work on/with/under Ubuntu. WINE is a free, Windows-like environment for (some, maybe many, but not all) Windows programs to run on a Linux-based computer.

When I first started using Ubuntu, I quickly discovered that the Ubuntu graphical user interface (GUI) is so similar to Microsoft's Windows that I had no problem using it.

Last edited by Jim B.; 21st May 2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fixd a speling erorr n aded a lynk.
Old 21st May 2009, 05:31 PM   #19
M@tto

M@tto is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the insight, Jim, which is more attractive than I knew.
Old 23rd July 2009, 06:57 PM   #20
teachtopia

teachtopia is on a distinguished road

I would love for Serif to support Linux. We all know that Wine does not work. I would pay 2X the amount to avoid having to boot up windows for webplus...

The last time I could recall a similar company supporting Linux with an end user product like Webplus or Pageplus was Wordperfect but that was at a time when Linux adoption was minimal.
and about 50 more!!