Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 12th February 2009, 10:51 PM   #41
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New Applications ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
Rewrite and redesign ImpactPlus/3DPlus. Make it easier to use or integrate into Movie Plus. Have it animate text as well as imported AI or EPS objects. Textured backgrounds, particles (fire, smoke, fairy dust, explosions, gunfire, etc.), fully support 32bit alpha channel output so we can use the footage in NLE.
ImpactPlus can animate text and do particle effects already and integrates well with MoviePlus.

Mike
Old 13th February 2009, 12:04 PM   #42
M@tto

M@tto is on a distinguished road

On the better tutorials=better sales theme , the myriad of DrawPlus KFA Event and Actions can be daunting for so many users who initially have no idea what combinations of options and their settings are used for specific results. Left to their own experimentation, some everyday uses may never be discovered by individual users.
Why sell your excellent product short?
Please at least develop a table: Use This with Settings.'x'. Together With This with Settings..'y'.To Do This (with link to example KFA)
Incidently on the Object Colour change action can we please have both options to change either the object's line or the fille colour?
I'm also posting this in the Wish List section
Old 13th February 2009, 01:48 PM   #43
M@tto

M@tto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Re:*I would like to suggest

To expand this ProjectPlus idea, for me the essential developments include:
1/The Critical Path Manager. This in essence is a multi-track time line chart that needs a Calendar view (to check compatibilty with other non-product events) and a Team View (who's doing what). An auto critical-date reminder feature would improve control for both the project manager and team leaders of sub groups. These group lists are also the Mailing and PDF distribution addresses for revisions or changes to the drawing pages they are working on.
2/ A multi-page Tech drg file that allows mulit-scale pages and alternative page orientation
3/ A Page Manager that obliges the user to name the page and drawing version. This user page name is locked to the page content independent of repagination caused by adding or deleting other pages or repositioning pages.
4/ As the project developes through stages, most PDF exports include just a few pages sent to to one of the distribution lists (see point 1) for approval, review or revision. Each PDF is concerned with Page content not number. To avoid major changes to the basic Windows PDF Export or Print dialogues, open either of these also triggered a popup of the Page Manager's current list of Page Names to Page Numbers. This allows the user to choose the specific range of pages numbers covering the targeted group's drawings. Note as a group email addresses are linked to their drawings page numbers it might also be possible to choose the group by a collective name that would automatically insert the reqiired page number range into the export PDF or print dialogue.

If any draughtman likes to add other key needs, we might persuade Patrick to take a closer look. We are not aiming at the professional level although it might be useful for real-life project feasibility studies (even a major Thames Estuary Airiport down through local community needs to designing a flat pack from a marketing research survey. It certainly should fill a growing range of amateur needs. In these dark economic days someone could build a small business around project planning and management.
Old 13th February 2009, 01:57 PM   #44
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
ImpactPlus can animate text and do particle effects already and integrates well with MoviePlus.
Unfortunately, ImpactPlus is not compatible with Windows Vista.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 13th February 2009, 06:03 PM   #45
abba

abba is on a distinguished road

Webplus Importable Calendar ( changes each day)
Flash video player ( with different skins, able to be imported into webplus with no stress)
Webplus Social network maker
Old 14th February 2009, 05:39 AM   #46
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

Impact Plus is a separate application. When I say 'integrated', I mean actually part OF MvP. Just because IP can export to a file that MvP can use is NOT integration in my book. And you over looked EASIER to use. ImpactPlus is far from easy. BluffTitler is much easier to understand and I really like Zaxwerk's ProAnimator, but it's out of my price range.
Old 15th February 2009, 05:18 PM   #47
sue120502

sue120502 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Re:*I would like to suggest

I totally agree with this.

www.susanleonard.co.uk
Old 17th February 2009, 06:56 PM   #48
Gordon L

Gordon L is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the opportunity to suggest apps.
I'd like to see Serif Graphics Central - similar to Clipmate or other clipboard extenders but with enhanced graphic capabilities and built in (once purchased) to all Serif Apps but also able to work outside of the Serif s/w family.
You work on a design in PP but then want to continue in PhP or DP or drop it into a video in MP. Drag the whole thing to Graphics Central, choose some convert options (dpi, layers etc) then off you go.
Add great search capabilities and graphic capture options.
I find Clipmate very useful for text - be great to have a similar app for graphics too.

ALSO
How about a top notch audio editor that can integrate with MP. Garageband for the Mac would be a good model - intuitive and powerful with lots of samples and looks a whole lot better than Audition, Sadie, even Pro tools...
Add something that generates reasonable music just by choosing a few options (mood, tempo, length etc) and this would be ideal for movie makers.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:36 PM   #49
notdodgy
Advanced Member

notdodgy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Animated Stats & Graphs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Most people are stuck with whatever Excel & Powerpoint provide: Graphs & charts which often over-simplify & mislead, rather than inform.

These two examples show how animated graphics can explore, explain & communicate a complicated topic much more effectively than ordinary (static) Powerpoint slides:

I have started another thread suggesting a presentation program or "add-on", for similar reasons to yours.

I was also influenced by seeing a www.TED.com presentation, where the slides revolved like sides of a cube and thought "that's way better than powerpoint".

Hence I stressed a way to get presentations to take an audience on a journey or to tell a story.

Seeing these animated graphs showing values changing over time is not too disimilar to how drawplus can animate position or size changes between two key frames.

Roger
Old 26th February 2009, 02:00 AM   #50
gm10

gm10 is on a distinguished road

I've already mentioned ones web based CMS. All you need is a browser to work with them.

For ideas you can have a look at Artisteer that simplifies creating and design templates and themes for existing CMS such as Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal.

gm
Old 26th February 2009, 02:17 AM   #51
pmcleod

pmcleod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Unfortunately, ImpactPlus is not compatible with Windows Vista.

Alfred
In what way is it incompatible? it works here in vista, though I do have uac turned off and accept the minimal security risk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	impactplus.gif
Views:	98
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1538  
Old 27th February 2009, 12:00 AM   #52
Sam Grove

Sam Grove is on a distinguished road

This is far afield, but I am thinking that DrawPlus would be exceedingly great if it could do proper schematic and pcb layout with Gerber export, etc.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:29 AM   #53
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default LINUX Versions, Maybe?

Perhaps begin a LINUX version of Serif's programs?

The netbook style of computers seems to be selling well and various versions of LINUX seem to be pre-installed on many Netbooks. Instant user-base.

There seems to be an increasing trend of people to move from Windows to various flavors of Linux. An increasing user-base.

Between the new netbooks and migration, Microsoft seems to be concerned about market penetration by Linux.

Wikipedia states that Ubuntu LINUX is the current largest distribution of LINUX.

Canonical seems to be a rather well-funded company developing and supporting Ubuntu. Red Hat's Fedora is rather popular, too.

Although with Serif using LeadTools so much, and Serif's products seemingly so tightly wrapped around Windows services and features, it might be easier and faster and lower cost to build from scratch than to try to convert. Maybe.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 27th February 2009, 03:08 PM   #54
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcleod View Post
In what way is it incompatible? it works here in vista, though I do have uac turned off and accept the minimal security risk
Apologies for the rather sweeping — and therefore perhaps not entirely accurate — statement. I do have IP kicking around somewhere but I've never tried to install it on this system (Vista Home Premium) so I'm relying on reports from other users; there's also this page on the FreeSerifSoftware site, which indicates that although IP will work with Vista it isn't designed to be Vista compatible.

In particular, Direct3D Retained Mode (D3DRM) is not included in Windows Vista. In theory you can copy d3drm.dll from elsewhere and put it in your System32 folder (or SysWOW64, for 64-bit Vista) but it isn't licensed for use with any version of Windows other than the one with which it was supplied.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 28th February 2009, 11:21 AM   #55
Ken Cope
Expert

Ken Cope is just really niceKen Cope is just really nice
Default Re: LINUX Versions, Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Perhaps begin a LINUX version of Serif's programs?

The netbook style of computers seems to be selling well and various versions of LINUX seem to be pre-installed on many Netbooks. Instant user-base.

There seems to be an increasing trend of people to move from Windows to various flavors of Linux. An increasing user-base.

Between the new netbooks and migration, Microsoft seems to be concerned about market penetration by Linux.

Wikipedia states that Ubuntu LINUX is the current largest distribution of LINUX.

Canonical seems to be a rather well-funded company developing and supporting Ubuntu. Red Hat's Fedora is rather popular, too.

Although with Serif using LeadTools so much, and Serif's products seemingly so tightly wrapped around Windows services and features, it might be easier and faster and lower cost to build from scratch than to try to convert. Maybe.
I'd like to see Serif on Linux too - then I could ditch Windows for a more secure OS altogether (Ubuntu being my flavourite!).

Windows 10 64bit ¤ AMD A10-6700 APU ¤ AMD Radeon HD8670D + R7 240 2GB Dual Graphics ¤ 16GB DDR3 Ram
Old 3rd May 2009, 09:06 PM   #56
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I would like to suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Connor View Post
Would you like to suggest any new applications that would compliment the range of products we currently sell?

Remember we are a small company, but we have big ambitions and talented staff.

Patrick Connor
Production Manager
Serif Europe

:seriffooterPConnor839:}
I would like to suggest a new program based on an old (paper) notebook. In a notebook, you can write or draw anywhere on the page and remind yourself of things but it is awkward to translate or store this digitally, so it can be useful and searchable at a future time. Also, in a book you can't have clickable links. For instance, travelling by train half an hour each way, I might write a story, do some research on a work based item, note some good quotes from a self-development book I am reading, write a reminder or idea for a website update and remind myself to look up a site someone suggested. I might even do some project management or to do list type notes or write down a paragraph that has just come to me and that will disappear if I don't get it down. Some notebooks allow you to reorder your pages, or have different coloured sections. You can also draw diagrams, or mindmaps or expert maps or concept maps (I am "into" visual mapping) or add lists. I think this new program would need to have features of PagePlus (for putting notes anywhere on a page), DSA (for adding colourful reminders) and WebPlus (to create pages that you can link to and see and create child pages and move to easily as you carry out your research. It might also need some simple drawing mechanism for diagrams or mindmaps. I have seen some programs that have elements of what I would like, such as netsnippets (now discontinued) which saved webpages for you in a special area that you could organise as you wished. Even if the webpage you had saved disappeared, it still kept what you had saved. The latest program I have seen that reminded me of this is Microsoft's One Note, which apparently you can buy separately from Office. It has an area where you write anywhere on the page and you can organise and rearrange the pages and export individual pages as web pages or adobe PDFs to send to people, if necessary. I hope this idea makes sense. I don't think it is just another use for Pageplus. I have used Pageplus a lot and I don't think it can do all of the above, especially not child pages and saving pictures of useful webpages you might want to refer to.
Old 5th May 2009, 01:34 PM   #57
vicar

vicar is on a distinguished road
Default there's a gem in here somewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Connor View Post
Would you like to suggest any new applications that would compliment the range of products we currently sell?

Remember we are a small company, but we have big ambitions and talented staff.

Patrick Connor
Production Manager
Serif Europe
For five years I've been running a website for aspiring book writers. Many members are interested in self-publishing books. Last week I purchased PagePlus 9. I was told it could enable me to create PDF files from Word docs. These PDF files, I felt, could help writers brief book designers as to precisely what they had in mind for their book.

Having spent the weekend trawling through your 'Help' menus and tutorials, I have managed to produce a PDF file - but I've also concluded that under the Trades Descriptions Act I'd be inviting law suits if I were to describe your software as accessible.

This is a pity. If you had a 'wizard' aimed at aspiring book writers and could cut all the ludicrous computer/Gates/graphic/typing/printing/publishing terminology you currently employ (aimed, I appreciate at people already steeped in such gobbledegook) and use plain words, in common use, and provide maybe six options for book writers to select from rather than thousands, I for one would cheer your product from the rooftops.

I'm using this forum to contact you as your 'contact us' support staff, whilst polite, courteous and prompt, have sent me a series of replies that make John Prescott sound literate - and that takes some doing.

I'm on your side in this - honest - but my patience is already wafer thin after hours of wrestling with the instructions published by your company
Old 5th May 2009, 03:26 PM   #58
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: there's a gem in here somewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicar View Post

If you had a 'wizard' aimed at aspiring book writers...I for one would cheer your product from the rooftops.
Patrick,

Along Vicar's idea, there have been numerous mentions scattered about the forums that an ebook maker would be a welcome addition to the Serif stable. Such a program would pull in work from DP, PP, DSA, PhP, etc, and allow the end user to create the entire book content, complete with drawings and images, produce a cover for the book, and then export the entire project as an ebook which could then be posted for downloading in WP or any other web authoring software. This software would also contain the controls for limiting the number of free pages an end-reader could read for free before purchasing the entire book. How the interface would work with a shopping cart is beyond my tech abilities, but a one-application-does-it-all approach is what I am thinking of.
Old 6th May 2009, 06:00 PM   #59
bookmarkmns01

bookmarkmns01 is a name known to allbookmarkmns01 is a name known to all

Hi Patrick

Thank you for asking for suggestions about products.

I wonder about expanding the number of programs and would like to see fewer programs. Why?

Fewer programs could mean more Development time and a greater focus. Add-on modules and paid-for, or premium, creative content could generate more revenues.

Modules
CMS system
Flash Authoring
Additional web modules

Creative Content
Brushes
Digipacks
Effect Filters
Stock photos

Import/ Export
I would be prepared to pay more to increase the formats that I could export to. Does the MvP model of unlocking offer a workable model? or where you can purchase an additional licence to unlock features?

It will be very interesting to see what Serif decides.

Mark
Old 29th June 2009, 12:04 PM   #60
Griff

Location: A very small and beautiful island somewhere east of the Atlantic...
Griff is on a distinguished road

Hi Patrick,

I would like a utility that checks everyday (or a preset interval) which of my Serif Software Products need updating, rather than updating them on a piece-meal basis.

Other companies with the comprehensive range do this, and I would really appreciate it if Serif did the same...

Just an idea.

Regards,

Griff