Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 27th September 2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Patrick Connor
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb I would like to suggest

Would you like to suggest any new applications that would compliment the range of products we currently sell?

Remember we are a small company, but we have big ambitions and talented staff.

Patrick Connor
Production Manager
Serif Europe

Last edited by Patrick Connor; 5th May 2009 at 09:40 AM.

Old 29th September 2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala

Lightbulb Re:*I would like to suggest

A PDF Editor
• Open PDF files for editing of content
• Include a tool for merging selected text frames.
• Drag and drop bookmarks
• Bookmarks manager
• Links manager
• Reorder pages
• Optimise PDF files for the web
• Extract Images
• OCR for converting images to text

PagePlus Lite
Rebadge PagePlus 11 as PagePlus Lite for 19.99.

TV Scheduler
• Record programs for later playback
• Alert users that programs are due to start soon
• Export clips for editing in Movie Plus

Mapping / Route Scheduling Program
I guess the greatest cost here is licensing the mapping data, but Serif™ should be able to make an easiy to use interface, and add some useful output options to image formats or PDF with overlayed text, lines, and quick shapes, etc.

Old 29th September 2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Kent

A program that would compete with Adobe Aftereffects including the video mask tracking features. If you can make Page Plus at a fraction of the cost of Quark, you should be able to do this.

Old 5th October 2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Swifty

Lightbulb Re: I would like to suggest

I agree with Kent, an Adobe, After Effects like program. One that allowed you to create and animate 3D objects also. That had a particle and special effects workshop. For lighting and explosive effects. Then make it integrate well with MoviePlus. That allowed you to manipulate video files to fly in and out of screen. Something that really has an Impact. That's what you could call it. ImpactPlus.

Wow I think Serif would really be on to something that was a great companion to the very popular MoviePlus.

I think you would have a winner there.

Cheers
Swifty

Old 5th October 2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Adama

Dear Mr. Connor:

I would like to suggest:

An easy to use GIF animator, with a simple interface and tools, that would allow people to make a quick animated image.

a - That it be a standalone program, on a CD or DVD.

b - And, that it would be compatible with Vista, PhotoPlus X2, Photoshop, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Adama

Old 6th October 2008, 03:59 AM   #6
Willabong

It seems we all have similar ideas, so I suggest a combination: I like the idea of a stand alone 2D animation program that will allow you to draw a background or import one, then allow you to copy the background over many frames, then let you draw your animations on top of it, and let you edit the background on each frame.
It would need Onion skinning and a transparency effect where the previous frame could be seen through the frame you are working on.
This would be something I would definitely buy.
There are NO really good Animation studios free or paid for at a reasonable price on the Web that are any good. If you want a good one you need to pay many 100's of dollars.
I know Draw Plus and Photo Plus have basic animation tools, but a stand alone product could have many more features and be upgradeable just like the other Serif programs.

Old 7th October 2008, 01:11 PM   #7
brucio

Willabong, you've got mail.
Bruce
Homemade Puzzles www.homemadepuzzles.co.uk

Old 11th October 2008, 04:27 PM   #8
Bill Tilton

Every 18 months or so, Serif seems to come out with a new version of each product in its line. And as I look at the new features, it's clear to me that these features will appeal to fewer and fewer people. I used to purchase upgrades regularly, but I'm finding that now I really can't make use of the expanded feature sets for the most part.

What I think is missing is better information regarding the feature sets that are already in the software. Photoshop, for example, has some additional features over PhotoPlus, but the biggest advantage is the many educational opportunities that are available. Go to YouTube.com or visit your local bookstore and you will find details on how to do many complex (and useful) tasks.

The PDF help files in PhotoPlus are helpful as far as they go, but they are no substitute for serious training materials. Most of what I know about retouching did NOT come from Serif materials. In most cases, I have "translated" Photoshop books or videos. But, sometimes, the translation is too obscure. And many users won't be willing to spend the time I have in all these translations.

I'm sure that with a modest amount of effort, I could come up with a list of topics that should be in your training video. You could easily hire a Photoshop expert for a few weeks and require them to do their daily work in PhotoPlus. What a goldmine a video like that would be!

Of course, some users only want to do fairly simple tasks. But those people aren't the ones that will be inclined to purchase newer versions with advanced feature sets.

Old 11th October 2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Swifty

Lightbulb Re: I would like to suggest

I will second that one. If Serif spent some time effort and $ on making some tutorials, it would highlight the capabilities of their product range as well give users a resource to expand their own abilities. This would probably make any new feature sets more valuable to customers as well.

And maybe useful products like ImpactPlus or the new and improved aftereffects/ImpactPlus like products would find a larger user base.

There really is nothing like seeing how something is done as opposed to reading about how it is done.

Great Idea.

Cheers
Swifty

Old 14th October 2008, 02:56 PM   #10
Bhikkhu Pesala

Lightbulb Inkscape Tutorials

Even the free and OpenSource program Inkscape has some professional looking tutorials like this one to make a clockface http://screencasters.heathenx.org/episode-047/.

Not particularly cheap nor easy to do well — the linked tutorial has a lot of inefficiencies that could be removed. It is hard to see how this could make money for Serif™ I should think it would take the whole day to make one good tutorial. Each major Serif product might need at least fifty tutorials.

Old 14th October 2008, 07:58 PM   #11
Bill Tilton

Lightbulb Re:*Inkscape Tutorials

I didn't suggest that making an excellent tutorial would be either cheap or easy. But neither is creating a new version of PhotoPlus, WebPlus, etc. And if you create those new versions without corresponding educational materials, I think there is not much money to be made with them either.

I'm also not suggesting a collection of mini-tutorials. What I would be looking for would be a several hour video covering a wide range of serious retouching techniques (for PhotoPlus, or WebPlus, etc.) I have such a video for Photoshop and I've learned more from it than I ever did from all the PhotoPlus tutorial stuff. It sells for $79 for subscriber members and $149 for others sort of a loyalty discount. I don't recall now how much I actually paid. But it was certainly more than I was paying for PhotoPlus.

I guess only Serif knows what is financially worth their time and effort. I'd just like to suggest that educational materials be among the considerations.

Old 16th October 2008, 06:18 AM   #12
Swifty

It may cost money to make tutorials, but if it sells products by educating users and highlighting program features is seems like a worthwhile investment. And... Bill is correct in making any and all suggestions for "New Applications." I think that was the point of this thread. Serif can decide which ideas are feasible and which are not. I know that users have created tutorials, and I doubt they got paid for them.

I like the idea.

Cheers
Swifty

Old 16th October 2008, 10:56 AM   #13
Bhikkhu Pesala

It was just a comment. This seems like something that belongs in the Wish-list for improvements to existing applications rather than a New Application, though a series of Program Tutorial DVDs is obviously a possibility.

Old 16th October 2008, 04:29 PM   #14
gm10

I like a few small programs like Screen Ruler http://www.tigercolor.com/screen-Ruler.htm, Irfanview, SnagIt. You may get some ideas if you explore shareware and freeware programs at tucows.

gm

WebPlus FAQs, tricks and helpful files, and Alfred's pages, too - yours FREE www.foxhillers.com/webplus/

Old 16th October 2008, 08:25 PM   #15
Branis

An After Effects like program is a great suggestion.
I'd also like to see a fully featured DVD authoring program a la DVD architect, with multiple audio and subtitle tracks.

Old 20th October 2008, 06:14 PM   #16
Alison G. Wright

On:20/10/2008 16:53:49 - Kent wrote:
Quote:
Edited to correct grammer.
I think you mean 'grammar'.

Ali
The Falcon Inn & Hotel at Long Whatton www.thefalconinnlongwhatton.com
Marilyn's Useful WebPlus Hints & Tips http://www.foxhillers.com/webplus/ | Ken's Sharing the Fun with Serif Software http://www.major-confusion.co.uk/ | Alfred's Serif-related Pages http://serif.punster.info/ | DonD's WebPlus Pages http://www.dond.ulmb.com/

Old 21st October 2008, 05:06 AM   #17
Kent

Alison - should I re-edit to correct spelling also?

Old 21st October 2008, 10:22 AM   #18
Alison G. Wright

On:21/10/2008 04:06:19 - Kent wrote:
Quote:
Alison - should I re-edit to correct spelling also?
Up to you, Kent! Just thought it ironic ...

Ali
The Falcon Inn & Hotel at Long Whatton www.thefalconinnlongwhatton.com
Marilyn's Useful WebPlus Hints & Tips http://www.foxhillers.com/webplus/ | Ken's Sharing the Fun with Serif Software http://www.major-confusion.co.uk/ | Alfred's Serif-related Pages http://serif.punster.info/ | DonD's WebPlus Pages http://www.dond.ulmb.com/

Old 21st October 2008, 03:41 PM   #19
Kent

One of the good things about an After Effects type program is that it could work with DV and uncompressed AVI codec for getting into and out of it as a standalone application. You wouldn't need to licence a lot of different ones. That way it could be used with almost any NLE. Just render the segment you need from your NLE into AVI, open it in EFFECTS PLUS, create, then render back to AVI for bringing it back to your NLE.

Edited to correct grammar.
Edited to correct spelling.

Old 23rd October 2008, 06:20 PM   #20
Frank

Apart from some of the good ideas near the top of this thread, I'd like to see you develop a Project Management product using PDF to communicate between sections of the project team, gathering data or feedback from interested parties, controlling tech drawings and critical path management. Any project that amateurs could take up to the point where it is handed over to the Town Planning, any sports project, any find raising appeal, etc. etc. Most of the basic elements are scattered across several of your existing products. A techno ProjectPlus?

Would also like your Calendar applets to become far more multi-cultural. Could you add a jigsaw creator Perhaps develop an on-line games site (not gambling, of course. )

Frank