Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 3rd August 2004, 01:54 PM   #1
Colin
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Shadows

To make IP6 a really usfull tool the ability to cast shadows onto other models in an assembly as well as shadows on the planes needs to be added.

Old 3rd August 2004, 02:21 PM   #2
Steven Bradley

Lightbulb Re:Shadows

You can already cast shadows on planes. Select your light source object, then click the Shadow On/Off icon on the Light Toolbar.

Shadows are not cast on to other objects, so that would be a nice addition, but I think thats down to the fact that IP is not a ray tracer. ?

Steve

Old 5th August 2004, 09:10 AM   #3
Colin

Lightbulb Re:Shadows

I am a first time user of IP and have only had experience of ray tracing in CAD programs, and therfore find not being able to cast shadows onto other objects a little restricting. I will keep my fingers X and hope this feature is added in the future.

Old 9th August 2004, 01:57 PM   #4
codfangler

Lightbulb audio track in Impact Plus

I have been using IP for some time now and I am producing animations for my home videos. I would now like to take this a bit further and actually produce an animated short. If IP had the capability to import an audio file and let me lip synch my charactors, it would take on a whole new user base. There is software out there that can do this but it's much, much more expensive than IP and not as user friendly.

den

Old 27th September 2005, 06:55 PM   #5
swifty

Lightbulb quick keys/ hot keys

Productivity in Impact Plus would be greatly improved by adding quick keys for the tool palette. Things like pressing "r" to get the rotate tool, or "s" for stretch, "d" for distance and so on.

I like using impact plus but I don't use it as much as I might, if it had quick keys. This becomes very important when key framing during animations. If I want to move an objects postion in many different aspects I have to keep going back to the tool pallete, to make slight adustments. = a lot of extra time. Left hand keyboard, right hand mouse, improved productivity.

Old 27th September 2005, 07:12 PM   #6
swifty

Lightbulb Align and Blend

Two other features that I would enjoy seeing in Impact Plus in the future would be alignment tool and a blend tool.

These may be complicated in a 3D program, I don't know. I do Multimedia and graphic design work, but I don't do programming. Not much anyway. So I am just thinking of what tools would be helpful to me.

Aligning objects would help a lot. An example would be aligning wheels on a motorcycle or such objects.

Blending one object shape with another would also be nice. A circle to a square with the objects each having the initial shape with a blend between them.

Again, a feature in programs that I use for Graphic design. They are generally 2D though. At least until recently an I haven't used the 3D and blend features together yet.

Any way yakkity yakkity

swifty

Old 30th September 2005, 09:56 PM   #7
Dogma

Lightbulb 2 suggestions

1) Allow us to change the background so that it can transition from one state to another. For instance, transitioning background color from white to black, instead of only being able to have one background color for the entire scene.

2) This is a big one for me...Allow the ability to insert a previously created animation before, anywhere in the middle, or after one currently being edited.

Old 13th December 2005, 11:36 AM   #8
Steve V

Lightbulb Status Bar

Hi,

a nice simple one. When exporting, show the status in a window in the middle of the screen, rather than the tiny little thing at the bottom.

As an added feature, it might be good to show it in terms of frames. It would help to see where the time is going, and whether certain areas can be optimised.

Old 9th May 2006, 10:39 PM   #9
M-M

Lightbulb more export options

With Direct X meshes being the only option for exporting my models, I have to find another program that will convert .X files. I wish IP 5.0 would have more export options. Say like .3ds and .obj files. It would make everything easier.

Old 19th May 2006, 03:58 AM   #10
Craig Dollimore

Lightbulb Re:more export options

I was going to direct you to AccuTrans 3D] http://www.micromouse.ca/fileformats.html [/url] but I see now in the file list that it is Write Only to .x
There is also PolyTrans] http://www.okino.com/conv/filefrmt_3dimport.htm [/url] that seems to convert .x, and there is the one that I use called Bryce] http://www.daz3d.com/program/bryce/55features.php [/url] 'course if you have Bryce you will probably not use IP as much, though IP makes good anaglyphs.

Craig
Using DP7; IP4; PP11
on a Win2K P4
near London, ON

Old 26th May 2006, 06:02 PM   #11
TBones

Lightbulb Re:audio track in Impact Plus

have yiou tried using a different editing programme to import your animation and your audio track into together, the best editing software in my oppinion is adobe prem pro, i think you can download a 30 day trial of this somewhere but i can't remeber where. have a search on google it may help.
good luck

TBones
(www.tbones.co.uk)

Old 29th May 2006, 07:03 AM   #12
M-M

Lightbulb Re:more export options

PolyTrans costs $500. That's not worth it.

Old 15th July 2006, 02:10 AM   #13
lelek

Lightbulb more import 3D file formats

more import 3D file formats

Old 11th August 2006, 12:34 PM   #14
VeryHappyUser

Lightbulb Re:more import 3D file formats

-I would really like to see smoother animation. When I animate an object I want to see it move gracefully and not so sharply.

-Resizable particle effects!

-Lights you can see when you play the animation.

Serif Rocks!

Old 27th September 2006, 03:33 PM   #15
VeryHappyUser

Lightbulb Wish list

A cutting tool would be nice. With it you could slice any object into small pieces.

There should be a 3d workshop.

The program should also support characters like humans and animals. That would be great!

Faster loading times! I've waited up to 2 hours just to preview one animation to make sure it was what I wanted.

Light and glowing objects should have visible light shinning from them.

Movable backgrounds! My space animation won't be cool with the same space background.

Give it lots and lots of new features but as always, keep it simple and easy to use!
Oh, and release it soon!
Serif rocks!

Old 11th October 2006, 11:27 AM   #16
Kevin

Lightbulb Request for GIF files export to be 24-32Bit

Currently Impact Plus 5 exports GIF stills and animations at only the old 8-bit format is there some kind of limitation that prevents GIF files from being exported at the current standard resolutions like 24-32bit so they can become compatible with current standard 24-32bit graphic files?

Old 11th October 2006, 11:39 AM   #17
Kevin

Lightbulb No Navigator Planes on startup requested

Currently when you start Impact Plus 5 you always get at least the BOTTOM plane of the navigator upon startup.

Is there a way to implement an option to startup the program with no navigator planes with just the black screen upon startup in the next Impact Plus 6 program?

Old 6th November 2006, 09:02 PM   #18
Dominique Krem

Lightbulb IP6 enhancements

Actually the rotation center of an object or a group is always the center of this object or group. It would be nice to be able to move the rotation point to another position (like in DrawPlus, but in 3D).
Another nice to have would be to have multiple custom views. Alternative, it would help to be able to store the view position to some memory cells so that the custom view can rapidelly be switched from one position to another with just one button click. The positions would be saved within the project.

Old 11th December 2006, 09:25 PM   #19
Andy H

Lightbulb wish list

A new version please

Old 6th January 2007, 02:32 AM   #20
Swifty

Lightbulb I hear IP6 by mid 2007... HOT/QUICK KEYS PLEASE!!!

Please be sure to put hotkeys in IP6 for everything from the tool palet to the timeline. Faster animating = MORE FUN!

Some way to jump from one keyframe to the next.(maybe it exists allready, and I've been to lazy to figure it out.)

v=Move/Size Tool
r=Rotate Tool
s=Stretch tool
d=Distance Tool
z=Zoom Tool
v=Viewpoint Free
x=View Distance Tool
f=Deform Tool

Would possibly need more for lighting and stuff. Any Way that is just an example. Perhaps even allowing them to be changed in preferences would allow people to set up the arrangement that is most productive for their work environment. I would like to possibly offer IP options to my media clients but I can't do that because it is to time consuming the way it is right now.

It is fun though.

Keep up the great work Serif.

Cheers
Swifty