Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 26th November 2003, 08:27 PM   #1
chuck
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Font Install/uninstall question...

After solving the mysterrie of the 400+ missing PP9 fonts (they are actually on the PP8pdf CDs), I started playing with the newly found fonts) Using the "Fisher Font Thing" I made a some collections and then tried to install them. Several of the fonts refused to install (maybe because they wre already installed in the Windows Fonts folder??) They showed up as not installed in the Font thing Browser window, but were in the WinXP Fonts folder.

Meanwhile I tried using some fonts in PP9. I wanted to try Tennesee Light, but of all the tennesey varients (listed as nash*.ttf in the windows folder) only Tennesee heavy showed up. I tried installing them, unsuccessfully. but was able to "Load" them and then eventually use Tennesee Light in PP9.

Can anyone explain this behavior and tel me how to install these fonbts so they are regularly available in PP9???

Chuck

Old 26th November 2003, 08:31 PM   #2
David A.

Lightbulb Re:Font Install/uninstall question...

Go to Control Panel > Fonts > menu FILE > Install New Fonts
Be warned a substantial number of fonts severely affects system performance, and make sure you only use *QUALITY* fonts. Many fonts just do not cut it and fail to meet the TrueType or OpenType specification.

Old 26th November 2003, 11:20 PM   #3
chuck

Thanks I'll give that a try. I can only assume they are *quality* fonts as they coame from a *quality* company, namely SERIF

Old 27th November 2003, 12:20 AM   #4
David A.

If you are only using the fonts to print to your desktop printer, they will suffice.
You can run all your fonts through the Microsoft Font Validator and see for yourself which are good or bad.

Old 3rd December 2003, 02:06 AM   #5
chuck

FWIW, That installing from the control panel did the trick! Thanks!

Apparently "the font thing" has some issues trying to install a font which it beleives is not installed, but windows thinks is...

Chuck

Old 3rd December 2003, 06:36 PM   #6
Geoff Barns

Chuck,

I have no trouble with "The Font Thing". It installs, uninstalls, loads and unloads fonts as required. I would think that if you try to "install a font which it beleives is not installed, but windows thinks is..." you have a conflict that needs to be resolved, not necessarily a problem inherent in "The Font Thing".

Geoff Barns

Old 3rd December 2003, 06:49 PM   #7
mjh

Geoff

Could you please post a link to the font Thing? THis software may well be helpful to me, too.
thanks

mjh

Old 3rd December 2003, 07:13 PM   #8
Geoff Barns

Marilyn,

The Font Thing is here: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~scef/. Once again, a reminder that the program appears to be no longer supported; but as far as I can tell, it is fully functional.

Geoff Barns