Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > Web Hosting

Notices

Web Hosting Questions about using or uploading to your hosting from WebPlus.net or other providers

Old 20th February 2014, 10:57 AM   #1
k212

k212 is on a distinguished road
Default 1and1 unlimited

Hi there,

I have unlimited hosting with 1 and 1,
and I just wondered who else has this service and whether there is a maximum recommended websites you should run on this server?

If I do load two many, will it effect the load time of my websites?

Many Thanks in advance for your help.

Kayleigh
Old 20th February 2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1and1 unlimited

The loading time of your web sites depends on how much content is on each page. Optimise your images to use JPG where appropriate and PNG where appropriate. It doesn't matter if there's four thousand pages, if users only visit one page at a time, it will load fast enough, especially if it is only text as my site is (on free hosting).
Old 22nd April 2014, 03:46 PM   #3
Owl549

Owl549 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by k212 View Post
Hi there,

and I just wondered who else has this service and whether there is a maximum recommended websites you should run on this server?

Kayleigh

Hey Keyleigh,

I'm glad you posted about 1and1. I'm thinking about using them for hosting, too. Do you (or anyone else that might be reading this) also use their web design services? Here's a little about it here http://website.1and1.co.uk/web-design-software. I'm just looking for something simple to use and it seems like it would work great for my needs.

I just wanted to see what you thought about it if you have any experience with their software.
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:54 PM   #4
grovesie

grovesie has much to be proud ofgrovesie has much to be proud ofgrovesie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl549 View Post
Hey Keyleigh,

I'm glad you posted about 1and1. I'm thinking about using them for hosting, too. Do you (or anyone else that might be reading this) also use their web design services? Here's a little about it here http://website.1and1.co.uk/web-design-software. I'm just looking for something simple to use and it seems like it would work great for my needs.

I just wanted to see what you thought about it if you have any experience with their software.
If you think it suits your needs, and you're doing a site just for yourself or just for your business, then it may well be suitable.

If you're thinking about creating sites for others then I would suggest that you learn to use some web design software that is a bit more flexible.

I use 1and1 unlimited and have never been tempted to use their website builder.

Steve
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:21 PM   #5
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl549 View Post
Hey Keyleigh,

Consider downloading and installing the free WebPlus Starter Edition and see how easy it is to design your business site.
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:35 AM   #6
splatter

splatter has a spectacular aura about

I use 1and1 and overall have found them to be great..customer service is good when you need it and the control panel is intuitive and well laid out...as far as speed goes, to a large extent thats an in-site issue yes. I would suggest WebPlus is an infinitely more versatile solution than using 1and1s websitebuilder software.
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:04 PM   #7
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi there,

Kayleigh
Kayleigh

I've used 1 and 1 very satisfactorily for years.

I use a number of programs to develop websites (including WebPlus) to host there.

I did try early versions of their WebBuilder years ago, but did not continue with it.
Old 23rd April 2014, 02:36 PM   #8
Owl549

Owl549 is on a distinguished road

Thanks all! (and sorry Kayleigh for hijacking the thread). Seems like I should keep doing research and try a few things before settling with any particular web builder. It's nice to know that others are please with 1and1's hosting services though.

Thanks for the help.
Old 24th April 2014, 11:50 AM   #9
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi there,

Kayleigh
Regardless of the promises and advertising guff, common sense would tell anyone that there is of course limitations on the service.

All resources on any server are finite and ultimately cannot be exceeded. Therefore there will be a finite limit on disk space i.e. where you store your files, databases and database capacity and bandwidth.

If you go to the 1&1 terms and conditions applicable to the account you will in the small print find the details pertaining to the limitations on their unlimited accounts. This is commonly known as a Fair Use Policy and has to be implemented or it would possible, though unlikely, for a single user to dominate the entire 1&1 infrastructure.

Bandwidth is the resource that will be most strictly controlled. The bandwidth available to 1&1 will be finite so this must be shared between every account on their servers. You will generally find that when the state unlimited bandwidth what they mean is that they will simply reduce the bandwidth available if you exceed a threshold rather than charge an excess or simply block access to and from the site.