Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 15th August 2013, 05:35 PM   #41
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: PagePlus X8 Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_iT View Post
Does SERIF really read this wishlist?
Yes, which is why we have it here at their behest.

Quote:
If yes, wouldn't it be better to create a list (in the opening post perhaps) to make the suggestions easier to read?

So anyone could compare the own wishes with the existing ones...

It's a good suggestion, but would be quite time-consuming, I think. Why don't you ask Serif? Maybe a member of Serif staff will respond here.

Old 15th August 2013, 05:37 PM   #42
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

My list in the first post includes some of the frequent requests, but any list will soon become out of date and maintaining it is a chore that no one wants.

Search this thread to see if your wish has already been made.
Old 16th August 2013, 01:17 AM   #43
Hans Nieuwenhuis

Hans Nieuwenhuis has a spectacular aura about

I think it would be a very good idea to have 1 list with 'open' wishes, for which we can vote....the more votes a certain feature would get, the more likely it should be that Serif would implement it.

Implemented wishes could be removed from this list or shown at the bottom with a version number of PagePlus in which that specific wish has been implemented.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:40 AM   #44
KG_iT

KG_iT is on a distinguished road

Some kind of database I have in mind.
But for the next 2 weeks we are in denmark, but when we are back I can setup a proof of concept with a database readable and writeble from all of us.

I think we need some registering to prevent spam :-( or a guest account... but for the first impression it would be open for anyone.

My suggestion for required fields:
Some "kategory field" (Like "Color", "Output", "New functions" and others ...

Short description: to give a fast overview of wishes

And a more hidden long description (I found it very helpfull to read why this function should be integrated ... often I never thought about this points of view)

Some kind of rating: I think about our Nick-Names: the mor nicknames are enterd in this specific field the more important the function will be... (I could count the nicknames)

Integrated: Version of PagePlus the function was integrated.

Is integrated: A hint where to find if the function is already there.

And from time to time we generate some output to put it in this forum thread to help SERIF becoming an impression about user-wisches, if they only want to read this forum thread.

Last edited by KG_iT; 16th August 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 16th August 2013, 01:17 PM   #45
Hans Nieuwenhuis

Hans Nieuwenhuis has a spectacular aura about

You should not count the names to determine how 'important' a feature is.

You can e.g. make 3 kinds of 'answers' for each wish:

* not important for an end-user

* nice to have

* would like to have it very much

And then you will need to count the number of votes for each category for each wish.
Old 16th August 2013, 02:10 PM   #46
KG_iT

A polling would be nice, but not so easy to implement :-). Lets make a beginning first and see what happens.

Improvements can be added anytime if the system works.

Give me some time ;-)
Old 16th August 2013, 04:20 PM   #47
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
A polling would be nice, but not so easy to implement :-). Lets make a beginning first and see what happens.

Improvements can be added anytime if the system works.

Give me some time ;-)
Where are you planning on putting this database?

Old 16th August 2013, 04:49 PM   #48
Adam
Serif Europe Limited

Adam is a glorious beacon of lightAdam is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Does SERIF really read this wishlist?
Yes, I would say that probably all of the team that is reponsible for determining the direction of Serif's products reads these lists, and that contributing to them is one of the best ways of getting an idea widely considered.

I know the list can get a bit um.. rambly at times, but I don't think there is any harm in repeating a suggestion already made. Bear in mind that nobody, at Serif at least, is really 'in charge' of the list, or has time to maintain it properly. In short, it's far from ideal, but it's stacks better than nothing, and numerous suggestions over the years have been accommodated in some way or another.
Old 19th August 2013, 07:51 PM   #49
KG_iT

OK, OK!

To maintain a list is in deed not as easy as it seems. If SERIF is able to manage the suggestions here, it's fine.

For me: I will set up a database for my suggestions. I'm a database friend ;-) (And this is my first wish: SQLITE :-)
Old 19th August 2013, 11:49 PM   #50
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
OK, OK!

To maintain a list is in deed not as easy as it seems. If SERIF is able to manage the suggestions here, it's fine.

For me: I will set up a database for my suggestions. I'm a database friend ;-) (And this is my first wish: SQLITE :-)
I would think (hope) that internally Serif have a data base with all the desirable and possible suggestions gleaned from here and elsewhere, and I imagine that it is checked by developers when new versions or updates are being worked on.

A complete list added here could be useful for users to see if their suggestion has already been made by others, but as Adam says, there's no harm in duplicating a suggestion. That may even emphasise its importance.

Geoff
Old 20th August 2013, 02:42 PM   #51
Dale_Cook
Serif Europe Limited

Dale_Cook has a spectacular aura about

I can second what Adam said and reassure you all, multiple staffers here have been reading and listing your suggestions (together with our own ideas), categorised and prioritised based on a few criteria. My own lists made by visiting here and from many other sources are fed upwards; ultimately it's senior management and product team leaders that decide how to direct the business' resources and roadmap future releases, but please know each wish list thread has definitely been read and noted.

Dale "achy list fingers"
Old 20th August 2013, 04:44 PM   #52
Adam
Serif Europe Limited

Adam is a glorious beacon of lightAdam is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
(And this is my first wish: SQLITE :-)
Thing is, I don't really know what you mean by this. Perhaps you want PagePlus to support multiple tables plus joins and queries (plus a whole load of UI to manage them) rather than the rather rustic 'Address List' format we have at the moment. Or maybe you have a load of data already in an SQLite database you want to use as a merge list (could you use ODBC?), or maybe you're imagining something else entirely. Does sound a bit 'niche', though.
Old 20th August 2013, 05:04 PM   #53
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Thing is, I don't really know what you mean by this. Perhaps you want PagePlus to support multiple tables plus joins and queries (plus a whole load of UI to manage them) rather than the rather rustic 'Address List' format we have at the moment. Or maybe you have a load of data already in an SQLite database you want to use as a merge list (could you use ODBC?), or maybe you're imagining something else entirely. Does sound a bit 'niche', though.
Cough, cough...XML import and tagging to paragraph styles. I like QXP better than ID in this regard.

And database format can readily be transformed (or simply exported) to XML. Far, far better and more capable than the simple merge currently available.

Had to throw this in...
Old 21st August 2013, 05:50 PM   #54
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

Separate bleed settings for inside, outside, top and bottom.
Old 21st August 2013, 06:14 PM   #55
MikeW

PDFX-4 support.
Old 21st August 2013, 06:15 PM   #56
MikeW

Ability to import a PDF as a placed image on a page basis (choose which page in the PDF if more than one).
Old 31st August 2013, 08:31 AM   #57
KG_iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
No GUI Stuff! Only one command line is needed to write a query with full advantages of a nearly full featured database.

Why not using ODBC? I would, but I haven`t figured out how PP works with ODBC on Win 8/64 bit. Spend hours to use a database over ODBC. After giving up, I wrote a converter from SQLite to SDB. It worked for me, but it would be much better to do this without converting.
Old 2nd September 2013, 03:51 PM   #58
KG_iT

- Themecolor concept extended on every definied color It's an old wish. Any defined color MUST be changed in any object if color was changed (behaving like theme colors 1-11)
Old 2nd September 2013, 05:32 PM   #59
Ali
Guru

Quote:
- Themecolor concept extended on every definied color It's an old wish. Any defined color MUST be changed in any object if color was changed (behaving like theme colors 1-11)
Absolutely not! One must be able to cater for objects that do not require a theme colour.

Old 2nd September 2013, 05:39 PM   #60
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Any defined color MUST be changed in any object if color was changed (behaving like theme colors 1-11)
The way to go is to create an Object style (right-click, format, object style, create). Then the colour (and other attributes such as fx) can be applied to any Quick Shapes, Artistic Text, etc. If you want to change the colour for those objects using the style, edit the style.

Using Object Styles Styles (my tutorial)