Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2013, 10:14 PM   #61
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master
 
Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East London, UK
Posts: 16,883
Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

  1. “Adding a point to a line is weird.” I find that if the line is already selected I have to click once, if not I have to click once to select the line, and once more to add the point. That seems logical to me.
  2. “Small text issue.” The drop list shows the most recently used fonts at the top. To do what you want, Ctrl D to show the Character formatting dialogue, where the current font is already selected.
  3. “There's an odd limit to panning.” I don't find it odd that panning is limited to the size of the window. To pan without limit use the Scrollwheel or Shift + Scrollwheel to pan horizontally.
  4. “Custom toolbar configuration needs to be saveable.” In PPX7 and WPX7 the toolbar and menu customisations are save with the workspace. This is a big improvement. Just backup your Workspace Profiles in %AppData% to avoid losing anything.
__________________
Free Serif SoftwarePagePlus ReviewIrfanView HelpMy FontsSerif Fonts
Help: DPX8PPX9WPX8 Specs AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit Edit
Bhikkhu Pesala is offline  
Old 25th November 2013, 10:26 PM   #62
Kuttyjoe
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 92
Kuttyjoe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
  1. “Adding a point to a line is weird.” I find that if the line is already selected I have to click once, if not I have to click once to select the line, and once more to add the point. That seems logical to me.
  2. “Small text issue.” The drop list shows the most recently used fonts at the top. To do what you want, Ctrl D to show the Character formatting dialogue, where the current font is already selected.
  3. “There's an odd limit to panning.” I don't find it odd that panning is limited to the size of the window. To pan without limit use the Scrollwheel or Shift + Scrollwheel to pan horizontally.
  4. “Custom toolbar configuration needs to be saveable.” In PPX7 and WPX7 the toolbar and menu customisations are save with the workspace. This is a big improvement. Just backup your Workspace Profiles in %AppData% to avoid losing anything.
The single click would be fine if it worked consistently. The single click often simply fails. Which leads to more clicking and accidentally creating additional points.

The way the font list works in CorelDraw for example, it shows the the recent fonts at the top, just like Serif DrawPlus. But if you use the down arrow, it will jump straight to the last font used so you can continue from there. Illustrator is similar in holding the position of the font currently selected in the art. Seems to work that way in most programs.

There's a limit to how far you can pan. The scrollwheel has no effect on it. If you create a document, zoom out, you can't scroll or pan at all.

Custom toolbars savable in DrawPlus. Not PPX or WPX

Thanks.
Kuttyjoe is offline  
Old 26th November 2013, 11:52 PM   #63
SpillTheBeans
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: U.K.
Posts: 46
SpillTheBeans is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

  • Multiple Page Sizes within a single document (Eg. Page 1 is A4, Page 2 is A0, etc....).
  • Ability to name pages for easier location, selection, etc.
  • Ability to change page order (IE. Move pages).
  • Improved and enlarged Bevel Editor for Instant 3D.
  • Allow Instant 3D Objects to be edited when they are within a Group.
  • 3D 'lathe'/rotate tool (as in Illustrator).
  • Improved Snapping (it is very hit and miss as it stands).
  • Higher zoom level (on 23" monitor 10,000x is needed for fine work).
  • Ability to scroll the page further (working on a life size drawing sheet 4' x 4' the scrolling is limited so I can't see much of the off paper area).
  • Diagonal Guides.
  • Allow guides over objects to be moved when using Node Tool also over object.
  • Ability to rotate around an objects corners/line centres using drag handles on page, instead of just the white rotate circle (which can be impossible to place accurately on a corner).
  • Improved Layers Studio (E.g.: Scrolling when drag and dropping, more Right Click Menu functions such as 'Group'.)
  • Hot key to make dragged object 50% transparent to aid placement.
  • Hot key to make dragged object stay at their Layer depth to aid placement.
  • Hash & crosshatch fill patterns (customisable).
  • Ability to use the Format Painter with objects directly in the Layer Tab.
  • Ability to automatically select all matching objects by name or other features (maybe all of the same size, or line colour or line weight, etc.?). This feature would have saved me many hours of work so far!
  • Option to select multiple objects then edit each individual one's properties. (E.g. Select 6 circles and then enter a new width/height that is applied to each one NOT the whole group. So if each circle is 3cm across entering 6cm will make EACH one 6cm across not the whole group.)
  • Option to display Dimension Tool Units as Feet AND Inches instead of Feet with decimal points. (Eg. Display "4ft. 8ins" not "4.667ft".
  • Fix bugs in 3D Planes mode.
  • Ability to print specific layers only.
  • Ability to enter 'formulas' in to numeric boxes (Eg. using an equals sign to indicate what follows is a formula:- "=3.776-1.277", or "=34/13"
  • Updated and expanded help file.
  • Lots more bugs fixed! Still crashes a lot for me at least.
I hope most of these features can be added to DP X7, and some as bug fixes for the current X6.
SpillTheBeans is offline  
Old 27th November 2013, 01:32 PM   #64
Adam
Serif Europe Limited
 
Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Serif Mansions
Posts: 1,128
Adam is a glorious beacon of lightAdam is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

@Kuttyjoe and SpillTheBeans, but also everybody in this thread, thanks for your input. There is a 13.0.2 patch which we are hoping to release within a couple of weeks, give or take, that addresses a number of issues in DrawPlus X6. Also we will continue to investigate reported bugs, and hopefully in the next release, cover a few items that have been on the wish list for a while.
__________________
Adam Whitehouse
Project Manager
Serif (Europe) Limited

Last edited by Adam; 27th November 2013 at 05:35 PM.
Adam is offline  
Old 29th November 2013, 02:02 PM   #65
SpillTheBeans
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: U.K.
Posts: 46
SpillTheBeans is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Thanks for the update Adam, looking forward to the patch.

Mine and others suggestions, latest in bold:
  • Multiple Page Sizes within a single document (Eg. Page 1 is A4, Page 2 is A0, etc....).
  • Ability to name pages for easier location, selection, etc.
  • Ability to change page order (IE. Move pages).
  • Improved and enlarged Bevel Editor for Instant 3D.
  • Allow Instant 3D Objects to be edited when they are within a Group.
  • 3D 'lathe'/rotate tool (as in Illustrator).
  • Improved Snapping (it is very hit and miss as it stands).
  • Higher zoom level (on 23" monitor 10,000x is needed for fine work).
  • Ability to scroll the page further (working on a life size drawing sheet 4' x 4' the scrolling is limited so I can't see much of the off paper area).
  • Diagonal Guides.
  • Allow guides over objects to be moved when using Node Tool also over object.
  • Ability to rotate around an objects corners/line centres using drag handles on page, instead of just the white rotate circle (which can be impossible to place accurately on a corner).
  • Improved Layers Studio (E.g.: Scrolling when drag and dropping, more Right Click Menu functions such as 'Group'.)
  • Hot key to make dragged object 50% transparent to aid placement.
  • Hot key to make dragged object stay at their Layer depth to aid placement.
  • Hash & crosshatch fill patterns (customisable).
  • Ability to use the Format Painter with objects directly in the Layer Tab.
  • Ability to automatically select all matching objects by name or other features (maybe all of the same size, or line colour or line weight, etc.?). This feature would have saved me many hours of work so far!
  • Option to select multiple objects then edit each individual one's properties. (E.g. Select 6 circles and then enter a new width/height that is applied to each one NOT the whole group. So if each circle is 3cm across entering 6cm will make EACH one 6cm across not the whole group.)
  • Option to display Dimension Tool Units as Feet AND Inches instead of Feet with decimal points. (Eg. Display "4ft. 8ins" not "4.667ft".
  • Fix bugs in 3D Planes mode.
  • Ability to print specific layers only.
  • Ability to enter 'formulas' in to numeric boxes (Eg. using an equals sign to indicate what follows is a formula:- "=3.776-1.277", or "=34/13"
  • Updated and expanded help file.
  • A plugin system to allow 3rd party addons to be created à la Illustrator.
  • Lots more bugs fixed! Still crashes a lot for me at least.
I hope most of these features can be added to DP X7, and some as bug fixes for the current X6.
SpillTheBeans is offline  
Old 30th November 2013, 09:46 PM   #66
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited
 
Patrick Connor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Serif Nottingham
Posts: 3,460
Patrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

SpillTheBeans, What an excellent list of improvements, thanks for the summary. I wish I had twice the number of programmers so Serif could do all of them.
__________________
Patrick Connor
Head of Software Testing
Serif (Europe) Ltd.
Patrick Connor is offline  
Old 1st December 2013, 08:48 PM   #67
SpillTheBeans
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: U.K.
Posts: 46
SpillTheBeans is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Connor View Post
SpillTheBeans, What an excellent list of improvements, thanks for the summary. I wish I had twice the number of programmers so Serif could do all of them.
You don't need more, just motivate them more... lock them in the room, ration their food and water... a whip helps...
SpillTheBeans is offline  
Old 2nd December 2013, 01:01 PM   #68
Arun Sarkar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,794
Arun Sarkar has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Arun Sarkar is offline  
Old 2nd December 2013, 02:26 PM   #69
AlfredP
Guru
 
AlfredP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 26,444
AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpillTheBeans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Connor View Post
SpillTheBeans, What an excellent list of improvements, thanks for the summary. I wish I had twice the number of programmers so Serif could do all of them.
You don't need more, just motivate them more... lock them in the room, ration their food and water... a whip helps...
I don't think we can assume that Patrick isn't already doing all of that!

Alfred
__________________
Windows 10® Home 64-bit; Intel® Core™ i3-4010U CPU; 4GB DDR3L RAM; Intel® HD Graphics 4400
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
AlfredP is offline  
Old 5th December 2013, 05:16 AM   #70
JET
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
JET will become famous soon enough
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

It's much better in a "new features" discussion to create separate threads for individual wishlist items, so that they can be individually discussed by users. If everyone posts his/her own "wishlist" there is no organization that can be followed for discussing the merits of a particular suggestion.

I've watched this occur on the user forums of all the mainstream drawing programs, and it just results in everybody "competing" to write the "most complete" list; and falls into disarray because everyone then has to read through every post to comment on a particular topic.

But there seems no stopping it. So here are my comments on some of the items in the foregoing list.

Quote:
Multiple Page Sizes within a single document (Eg. Page 1 is A4, Page 2 is A0, etc....).
Agree. The majority of print projects handled by most freelance illustrators / designers are not high page-count "bookish" documents with long threaded stories, many external links, repetitive designs, etc., etc. They are graphics intensive short page count brochures, mailers, ads, trade show displays, business document kits, identity packages, package designs, and so on. These are the countless kinds of projects which can be more efficiently done in a drawing program rather than a conventional-wisdom "page layout" program. But these are also the very kinds of projects which commonly require multiple pages of differing sizes and orientations.

Quote:
Ability to name pages for easier location, selection, etc.
Perhaps a handy convenience, but nothing I would consider a high priority. How many page-layout apps (dealing with many more pages) provide for naming of pages as opposed to simply numbering them, or perhaps naming ranges of numbered pages as with InDesign's Sections? I can easily devise ways to label the relatively few pages in a drawing program document.

Quote:
Ability to change page order (IE. Move pages).
You can rearrange pages by dragging them in the Pages Tab.

Quote:
Improved and enlarged Bevel Editor for Instant 3D.
Improved how, specifically? The existing interface is already vastly more accessible, more intuitive and less cumbersome than what's required to define custom bevels in Illustrator.

Quote:
3D 'lathe'/rotate tool (as in Illustrator).
Illustrator's 3D Effect is vector-based, not a raster-based effect as in DrawPlus (and Xara). Illustrator's 3D Effect is also a severely limited subset of what already existed as Adobe Dimensions. For example, it can't do pipeline or "sweep" extrusions. Nor can it have two objects oriented differently in the same model. So sure, a more capable 3D effect would be great, but I'd hardly make Illustrator's the goal to which to aspire. DrawPlus's 3D effect is just extrude and bevel, for the ubiquitous occasional "superman" title and such. I really don't get excited about a 2D drawing program trying to do much more than that, especially given that proper 3D modelers are now commonplace and affordable. I use a 2D vector drawing program for just that: 2D vector drawing. I'd much rather see improvements focussed on serious 2D drawing functionality rather than yet another "me too" 3D effect for hobbiests.

Quote:
Improved Snapping (it is very hit and miss as it stands).
Completely agree. This is core functionality for serious vector drawing. How did something as crucial as Snap To Points (nodes) get overlooked? Then there's this: DrawPlus includes something that represents a HUGE competitive advantage over Illustrator and most other mainstream drawing programs: its poorly-named 3D Planes feature (axonometric drawing planes). Yet this feature is tragically and debilitatingly flawed by is snapping and dimensioning bugs.

Quote:
Diagonal Guides.
Needs clarification. Most programs nowadays allow any path to be converted to a guide. That would be more versatile than just adding an angle field to the existing Guides dialog. If you mean a diagonal grid, 3D Planes can be used for that.

Quote:
Ability to rotate around an objects corners/line centres using drag handles on page, instead of just the white rotate circle (which can be impossible to place accurately on a corner).
Just one example of the need for a properly-implemented snap to points command, mentioned above.

Quote:
Ability to automatically select all matching objects by name or other features (maybe all of the same size, or line colour or line weight, etc.?).
But see FreeHand's ground-breaking Graphic Find & Replace feature; not Illustrator's vastly less capable grab-bag collection of Select Same... commands and Magic Wand settings.

Quote:
Option to select multiple objects then edit each individual one's properties. (E.g. Select 6 circles and then enter a new width/height that is applied to each one NOT the whole group. So if each circle is 3cm across entering 6cm will make EACH one 6cm across not the whole group.)
See Illustrator's close but short-falling Transform Each dialog. Again, Illustrator is a poor model to follow. For example, its Transform Each leaves out actual dimension fields; size is limited to percentage based values.

Quote:
Option to display Dimension Tool Units as Feet AND Inches instead of Feet with decimal points. (Eg. Display "4ft. 8ins" not "4.667ft".
See Deneba Canvas. One of the best implementations of user-defined ruler scales in mainstream drawing programs.

Quote:
Fix bugs in 3D Planes mode.
This would be at the very top of my list. It is nothing less than tragic for this one truly differentiating feature set to be rendered nearly useless by the glaring bugs. Carefully and thoroughly fixing this should be TOP priority for the next release.

Quote:
Ability to print specific layers only.
Turn off visibility for Layers you don't want to print and make sure the Print All Layers option is off in the print dialog.

Quote:
Ability to enter 'formulas' in to numeric boxes (Eg. using an equals sign to indicate what follows is a formula:- "=3.776-1.277", or "=34/13"
Should be standard-fare in any decent vector drawing program. Again, aim higher than Illustrator, which is limited one math operator. See FreeHand, in which you can enter multiple addition/subtraction and multiplication/division operators in a single expression.

Quote:
Updated and expanded help file.
Be careful what you ask for. Sure, update content if it needs it. But please do not follow the Adobe model of everything online. Adobe's hideous "help" system is causing countless newcomers to the program to find it even more difficult to learn than it always has been. Serif's help application looks very much like--if not the same as--that used in FileMaker Pro, which I've always found to be the best and most no-nonsense treatment of all. Get in, find what you need, get out. Clean, simple, direct, and stored locally. Don't ruin this like Adobe has.

Quote:
A plugin system to allow 3rd party addons to be created à la Illustrator.
No thanks. Completely passe. An ill-conceived and failed business model.

I deliberately avoid mission-critical dependency upon third-party add-ons. They seldom maintain parity with version changes. They are usually offered by small companies which can't keep up or don't last. They often cost as much or more than a competitive side-grade to another drawing program which provides much much more functionality in the deal.

Also unrealistic. Given Serif's comparitively miniscule market share, the likelyhood of attracting the resources of quality add-on developers is probably similarly miniscule. It would no doubt takes just as long to code a C++ plug-in for DrawPlus as it would for Illustrator. Which would more likely prove profitable? Some popular Illustrator plug-ins cost as much as half what AI itself does. A plug-in for DrawPlus would be even more vertical-market than one for Illustrator. To make any money, the developer would likely have to charge as much as or more than the price of the host program.

No, if Serif is ready to branch into customizability, those resources should be applied toward user scripting via a Javascript object model, or failing that, VBA; not by a third-party plug-in architecture and SDK.

Quote:
...bug fixes...
Of course it should go without saying that a drawing program that is not rock-solid is just not ready for prime time.

But there's also the matter of performance. Serif's more immediate competition is Xara. DrawPlus has designer Pro beat on several features. But its performace compares poorly.

Again, if anyone considers any of the many foregoing features worthy of discussion, I hope you'll just start a thread dedicated to that particular, to avoid alot of repetition and facilate a discussion that can be followed.

JET

Last edited by JET; 5th December 2013 at 05:41 AM.
JET is offline  
Old 7th December 2013, 12:21 AM   #71
SpillTheBeans
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: U.K.
Posts: 46
SpillTheBeans is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
It's much better in a "new features" discussion to create separate threads for individual wishlist items, so that they can be individually discussed by users. If everyone posts his/her own "wishlist" there is no organization that can be followed for discussing the merits of a particular suggestion.

I've watched this occur on the user forums of all the mainstream drawing programs, and it just results in everybody "competing" to write the "most complete" list; and falls into disarray because everyone then has to read through every post to comment on a particular topic.

But there seems no stopping it. So here are my comments on some of the items in the foregoing list.

Personal opinion, I do it my way, you do it yours, neither is better than the other. Serif Staff seem to have no problem with either way...


Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Perhaps a handy convenience, but nothing I would consider a high priority. How many page-layout apps (dealing with many more pages) provide for naming of pages as opposed to simply numbering them, or perhaps naming ranges of numbered pages as with InDesign's Sections? I can easily devise ways to label the relatively few pages in a drawing program document.
I would like to be able to look at the Pages Tab and be able to see which one is which by name. Some documents can have dozens of pages which all look the same in the tiny Pages Tab previews. Also a search by page name would make it easier to find the page your after in very large documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
You can rearrange pages by dragging them in the Pages Tab.
Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realise, I will remove it from my Wishlist. I think maybe it would be helpful if the Page Manager and Pages Tab were combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Improved how, specifically? The existing interface is already vastly more accessible, more intuitive and less cumbersome than what's required to define custom bevels in Illustrator.
For a start it needs to be bigger. On my 1920x1080 monitor it is so small it is almost impossible to edit the points om a bevel curve with any level of accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Illustrator's 3D Effect is vector-based, not a raster-based effect as in DrawPlus (and Xara). Illustrator's 3D Effect is also a severely limited subset of what already existed as Adobe Dimensions. For example, it can't do pipeline or "sweep" extrusions. Nor can it have two objects oriented differently in the same model. So sure, a more capable 3D effect would be great, but I'd hardly make Illustrator's the goal to which to aspire. DrawPlus's 3D effect is just extrude and bevel, for the ubiquitous occasional "superman" title and such. I really don't get excited about a 2D drawing program trying to do much more than that, especially given that proper 3D modelers are now commonplace and affordable. I use a 2D vector drawing program for just that: 2D vector drawing. I'd much rather see improvements focussed on serious 2D drawing functionality rather than yet another "me too" 3D effect for hobbiests.
I'm not worried what tech is used behind the scenes as long as you can draw a complex path and then lathe it. E.g. draw a zigzag line and then rotate it to give a disk with concentric circles, then adjust the 3D lighting on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Needs clarification. Most programs nowadays allow any path to be converted to a guide. That would be more versatile than just adding an angle field to the existing Guides dialog. If you mean a diagonal grid, 3D Planes can be used for that.
I was thinking along the lines of beong able to specify a zero point and an angle for the guide line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
But see FreeHand's ground-breaking Graphic Find & Replace feature; not Illustrator's vastly less capable grab-bag collection of Select Same... commands and Magic Wand settings.
Sounds interesting, I've only used Illustrator & CorelDraw in the past. No access to them anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
See Illustrator's close but short-falling Transform Each dialog. Again, Illustrator is a poor model to follow. For example, its Transform Each leaves out actual dimension fields; size is limited to percentage based values.
I think the height and width are the main things people would want to change in multiple selections, at least it would be a start, more could be added as requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Turn off visibility for Layers you don't want to print and make sure the Print All Layers option is off in the print dialog.
Thanks for the info. I still think that maybe adding a print column like the visible and lock columns in the Layers Studio Tab would be helpful. If someone uses lots of Layers it would be quicker/more efficient for them to have the Layers not to be printed permanently set but still be able to see/edit them on screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Be careful what you ask for. Sure, update content if it needs it. But please do not follow the Adobe model of everything online. Adobe's hideous "help" system is causing countless newcomers to the program to find it even more difficult to learn than it always has been. Serif's help application looks very much like--if not the same as--that used in FileMaker Pro, which I've always found to be the best and most no-nonsense treatment of all. Get in, find what you need, get out. Clean, simple, direct, and stored locally. Don't ruin this like Adobe has.
I would not like the help to be online only. I just would like the current Help file to be updated to cover a lot more and more in depth. The actual style of Serifs Help Files/Guide Books is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
No thanks. Completely passe. An ill-conceived and failed business model.

I deliberately avoid mission-critical dependency upon third-party add-ons. They seldom maintain parity with version changes. They are usually offered by small companies which can't keep up or don't last. They often cost as much or more than a competitive side-grade to another drawing program which provides much much more functionality in the deal.

Also unrealistic. Given Serif's comparitively miniscule market share, the likelyhood of attracting the resources of quality add-on developers is probably similarly miniscule. It would no doubt takes just as long to code a C++ plug-in for DrawPlus as it would for Illustrator. Which would more likely prove profitable? Some popular Illustrator plug-ins cost as much as half what AI itself does. A plug-in for DrawPlus would be even more vertical-market than one for Illustrator. To make any money, the developer would likely have to charge as much as or more than the price of the host program.

No, if Serif is ready to branch into customizability, those resources should be applied toward user scripting via a Javascript object model, or failing that, VBA; not by a third-party plug-in architecture and SDK.
I would not say plugins are a passe thing, as for what for they take that depends on Serif. I'm sure there are people out there who would write plugins for DrawPlus (and other Serif programs) if it was possible. One example would be a plugin to automate the process of creating 3D looking Books/DVD cases similar to Esko Packaging Designer plugin for Illustrator..


Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
But there's also the matter of performance. Serif's more immediate competition is Xara. DrawPlus has designer Pro beat on several features. But its performace compares poorly.
On my system DrawPlus is just as fast as any other program! Having watched some videos of Xara in action for me DrawPlus is faster in some areas and about the same in others. Maybe you need an upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Again, if anyone considers any of the many foregoing features worthy of discussion, I hope you'll just start a thread dedicated to that particular, to avoid alot of repetition and facilate a discussion that can be followed.

JET
Serif approved this thread for people to put their wishes in and sticky-ied (?!) it, not to have major discussions about every little detail.

If you want to discuss specific features then you create the threads for them in the appropriate sections.

I will continue to update my little summery list as and when I think neccessary... Of course it will be a lot shorter after the next patch and DPX7
SpillTheBeans is offline  
Old 7th December 2013, 12:37 AM   #72
SpillTheBeans
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: U.K.
Posts: 46
SpillTheBeans is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Thanks for the update Adam, looking forward to the patch.

Mine and others suggestions, latest in bold:
  • Multiple Page Sizes within a single document (Eg. Page 1 is A4, Page 2 is A0, etc....)
  • Multiple Page Orientation within a single document (E.g. Page 1 is Portrait, Page 2 is Landscape.)
  • Ability to name pages for easier location, selection, etc.
  • Combine Page Manager & the Page Tab, or duplicate functionality.
  • Improved and enlarged Bevel Editor for Instant 3D.
  • Allow Instant 3D Objects to be edited when they are within a Group.
  • 3D 'lathe'/rotate tool (as in Illustrator).
  • Improved Snapping (it is very hit and miss as it stands).
  • Higher zoom level (on 23" monitor 10,000x is needed for fine work).
  • Ability to scroll the page further (working on a life size drawing sheet 4' x 4' the scrolling is limited so I can't see much of the off paper area).
  • Diagonal Guides.
  • Allow guides over objects to be moved when using Node Tool also over object.
  • Ability to rotate around an objects corners/line centres using drag handles on page, instead of just the white rotate circle (which can be impossible to place accurately on a corner).
  • Improved Layers Studio (E.g.: Scrolling when drag and dropping, more Right Click Menu functions such as 'Group'.)
  • Allow Docked Tabs to be of a fixed size regardless of content. Eg, Page Tab if docked next to Layers Tab shrinks that section when there is only one page.
  • Hot key to make dragged object 50% transparent to aid placement.
  • Hot key to make dragged object stay at their Layer depth to aid placement.
  • Hash & crosshatch fill patterns (customisable).
  • Ability to use the Format Painter with objects directly in the Layer Tab.
  • Ability to automatically select all matching objects by name or other features (maybe all of the same size, or line colour or line weight, etc.?). This feature would have saved me many hours of work so far!
  • Option to select multiple objects then edit each individual one's properties. (E.g. Select 6 circles and then enter a new width/height that is applied to each one NOT the whole group. So if each circle is 3cm across entering 6cm will make EACH one 6cm across not the whole group.)
  • Option to display Dimension Tool Units as Feet AND Inches instead of Feet with decimal points. (Eg. Display "4ft. 8ins" not "4.667ft".
  • Ability to print specific layers only by adding a column to the Layers Manager Tab. (IE. a clickable icon next to the layer name to toggle whether a layer is printed or not.
  • Allow individual objects in the Layers Tab to be toggled visible or not via an icon as per Layers.
  • Ability to enter 'formulas' in to numeric boxes (Eg. using an equals sign to indicate what follows is a formula:- "=3.776-1.277", or "=34/13"
  • Updated and expanded help file.
  • A plugin system to allow 3rd party addons to be created à la Illustrator.
  • Make similar features more consistent. Eg. 1) Visibilty of layers is via a clickable icon whereas for objects it is a menu item. (I would prefer both to be via icons, and the column is already there.) Eg. 2) Pages are handled both in Page Manager and the Page Tab, it would be more intuative to have them combined.
  • Fix bugs and add features to 3D Planes mode.
  • Lots more bugs fixed! Still crashes a lot for me at least.
I hope most of these features can be added to DP X7, and some as bug fixes for the current X6.
SpillTheBeans is offline  
Old 7th December 2013, 12:42 AM   #73
SpillTheBeans
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: U.K.
Posts: 46
SpillTheBeans is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
I don't think we can assume that Patrick isn't already doing all of that!

Alfred
Oh well it's obviously not working! He needs to get hardcore!

How about All programmers & Quality Testers are docked 5% of their pay, for the year, for every confirmed bug? That'll motivate the little whats-its...

I suppose it's only fair that they be rewarded for fixing the bugs so give 'em 1% raise when they fix said bug...
SpillTheBeans is offline  
Old 7th December 2013, 01:50 AM   #74
AlfredP
Guru
 
AlfredP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 26,444
AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpillTheBeans View Post
I still think that maybe adding a print column like the visible and lock columns in the Layers Studio Tab would be helpful. If someone uses lots of Layers it would be quicker/more efficient for them to have the Layers not to be printed permanently set but still be able to see/edit them on screen.
There used to be a 'Printable' icon on the Layers tab, but someone at Serif decided (two or three versions ago) that it would be better to have it set up so that 'if you can see it, it will print'. Needless to say, you aren't the only user who is less than happy about the current arrangement.

Alfred
__________________
Windows 10® Home 64-bit; Intel® Core™ i3-4010U CPU; 4GB DDR3L RAM; Intel® HD Graphics 4400
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
AlfredP is offline  
Old 7th December 2013, 01:50 AM   #75
AlfredP
Guru
 
AlfredP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 26,444
AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpillTheBeans View Post
Oh well it's obviously not working! He needs to get hardcore!

How about All programmers & Quality Testers are docked 5% of their pay, for the year, for every confirmed bug? That'll motivate the little whats-its...

I suppose it's only fair that they be rewarded for fixing the bugs so give 'em 1% raise when they fix said bug...

Alfred
__________________
Windows 10® Home 64-bit; Intel® Core™ i3-4010U CPU; 4GB DDR3L RAM; Intel® HD Graphics 4400
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
AlfredP is offline  
Old 7th December 2013, 04:01 PM   #76
SpillTheBeans
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: U.K.
Posts: 46
SpillTheBeans is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

I have just discovered that you can name pages anyway. It is not easy to find however. If you right click on a page in the Pages Tab and then select properties it brings up a dialog box that lets you name that page. Again it shows how there are many powerful features already in DrawPlus which are so easily missed. Especially due to inconsistencies in how things are accessed. The Page Manager & Page Tab really could do with being integrated and made consistent.

Mine and others suggestions, latest in bold:
  • Multiple Page Sizes within a single document (Eg. Page 1 is A4, Page 2 is A0, etc....)
  • Multiple Page Orientation within a single document (E.g. Page 1 is Portrait, Page 2 is Landscape.)
  • Combine Page Manager & the Page Tab, or duplicate functionality.
  • Improved and enlarged Bevel Editor for Instant 3D.
  • Allow Instant 3D Objects to be edited when they are within a Group.
  • 3D 'lathe'/rotate tool (as in Illustrator).
  • Improved Snapping (it is very hit and miss as it stands).
  • Higher zoom level (on 23" monitor 10,000x is needed for fine work).
  • Ability to scroll the page further (working on a life size drawing sheet 4' x 4' the scrolling is limited so I can't see much of the off paper area).
  • Diagonal Guides.
  • Allow guides over objects to be moved when using Node Tool also over object.
  • Ability to rotate around an objects corners/line centres using drag handles on page, instead of just the white rotate circle (which can be impossible to place accurately on a corner).
  • Improved Layers Studio (E.g.: Scrolling when drag and dropping, more Right Click Menu functions such as 'Group'.)
  • Allow Docked Tabs to be of a fixed size regardless of content. Eg, Page Tab if docked next to Layers Tab shrinks that section when there is only one page.
  • Hot key to make dragged object 50% transparent to aid placement.
  • Hot key to make dragged object stay at their Layer depth to aid placement.
  • Hash & crosshatch fill patterns (customisable).
  • Ability to use the Format Painter with objects directly in the Layer Tab.
  • Ability to automatically select all matching objects by name or other features (maybe all of the same size, or line colour or line weight, etc.?). This feature would have saved me many hours of work so far!
  • Option to select multiple objects then edit each individual one's properties. (E.g. Select 6 circles and then enter a new width/height that is applied to each one NOT the whole group. So if each circle is 3cm across entering 6cm will make EACH one 6cm across not the whole group.)
  • Option to display Dimension Tool Units as Feet AND Inches instead of Feet with decimal points. (Eg. Display "4ft. 8ins" not "4.667ft".
  • Ability to print specific layers only by adding a column to the Layers Manager Tab. (IE. a clickable icon next to the layer name to toggle whether a layer is printed or not.
  • Allow individual objects in the Layers Tab to be toggled visible or not via an icon as per Layers.
  • Ability to enter 'formulas' in to numeric boxes (Eg. using an equals sign to indicate what follows is a formula:- "=3.776-1.277", or "=34/13"
  • Updated and expanded help file.
  • A plugin system to allow 3rd party addons to be created à la Illustrator.
  • Make similar features more consistent. Eg. 1) Visibilty of layers is via a clickable icon whereas for objects it is a menu item. (I would prefer both to be via icons, and the column is already there.) Eg. 2) Pages are handled both in Page Manager and the Page Tab, it would be more intuative to have them combined.
  • Fix bugs and add features to 3D Planes mode.
  • Lots more bugs fixed! Still crashes a lot for me at least.
I hope most of these features can be added to DP X7, and some as bug fixes for the current X6.
SpillTheBeans is offline  
Old 10th January 2014, 05:03 PM   #77
wheeliewoman
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 117
wheeliewoman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
As DPX6 has now been released, please post your wishes and desires for X7 here!
Be able to see movie clip placement before you run a movie in animation. Right now when you place a clip all you get is a black area(You cannot see the clip until you run it).
wheeliewoman is offline  
Old 13th January 2014, 01:16 PM   #78
wheeliewoman
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 117
wheeliewoman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Ability to add music/other sounds in Stopframe Animation and not just in Keyframe Animation. Gives people the ability to chose which type of animation they prefer and still have the features they need.

Last edited by wheeliewoman; 13th January 2014 at 07:32 PM.
wheeliewoman is offline  
Old 15th January 2014, 01:10 PM   #79
wilkans68
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
wilkans68 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Here is my desired wishlist for Drawplus X7:

1. Contextual command "Detach as New Object" should work on multiple selected strokes/lines.
2. Find & replace and Select dialog as in Freehand.
3. Introduction of symbols as in Adobe Illustrator.
4. Transform Each dialog similar to Adobe Illustrator's
5. Dynamic corner adjustment as in Astute VectorScribe.
6. Introduction of EPS export
7. Improved SVG export (see Xara Pro Designer's)
7. Improved EPS import interpretation
8. Repeat Transformation (like Ctrl+D in Adobe Illustrator), on this one Serif would only need to extend the functionality of the already existing Ctrl+Y.
9. When placing a file, I would like a Link/Embed image option.
10. Tighter integration with other Serif products especially Photoplus (Check Illustrator-Photoshop integration).
wilkans68 is offline  
Old 23rd January 2014, 03:43 PM   #80
anthonyr
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 20
anthonyr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

1. Can we get a Cross quickshape? That'd be nice for designing Church/Religious media/sites, etc.

2. Also, selective line viewing for Quickshapes? For example, drawing a quickshape square, then having the option to choose one line/side to be transparent, or Red, or whatever. If that's possible. It would be quicker than drawing individual lines for each shape.

3. Finally (for now) - it would be nice to be able to rotate the design of a paint brush. For example, the Bamboo sticks I can paint; if I could make them lay sideways rather than upright.



Rock on serif

Last edited by anthonyr; 23rd January 2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added #'s and request
anthonyr is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DrawPlus X4: DrawPlus X5 Wishlist MWB DrawPlus 5 22nd October 2010 04:46 PM
DrawPlus 9 wishlist ogden-quin DrawPlus 2 8th February 2007 08:57 AM
DrawPlus 8 Wishlist Dave Harris DrawPlus 32 20th April 2005 01:32 PM
DrawPlus 8 Wishlist mike Product Suggestions 29 3rd August 2004 01:26 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:17 PM.