Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 6th June 2013, 04:30 PM   #41
DrawPlusAppMan

DrawPlusAppMan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

I know this is a long shot, but DrawPlus X7 for native Mac OSX. A lof of people like myself are in need of non-Adobe software.

Last edited by DrawPlusAppMan; 13th June 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10th June 2013, 08:54 PM   #42
adi

adi is on a distinguished road

Please add Gradients to the Colour Fill option in the Layer Effects,

Outline has options for gradients but not Colour ?
So can Colour Fill have Linear, Radial, Conical, Square, Contour and Pattern, thanks

Also please add my name to the 'me too' list for all the suggestions in this thread, lol
Old 11th June 2013, 02:23 PM   #43
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

Just use the Gradient Fill Tool to fill an object with a gradient. The Color Fill in Filter Effects is different from the standard color fill tool. Yes, it is confusing, but you can achieve interesting blends using both options. Color Fill in Filter Effects will cover the entire object including the line width. Color Fill tool only colors 'inside' the line.

Also Outline in Filter Effects is different from the Line Tool. We don't have line gradients in DPX6. Hopefully in DPX7.
Old 17th June 2013, 01:04 PM   #44
MrDB

MrDB is on a distinguished road

MANY folks would like to be able to do this according to Google. Wrap text or a photo around a cylindrical object so that the end result would look something like a writing pen with advertising on it or a can of soup with the writing wrapped around it.

Old 18th June 2013, 06:48 PM   #45
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

MrDB,

You can (no pun intended) do this in DP. The image is of a of a can, the wrap, using an envelope warp, is vector.

Mike

Edit to add...I see you actually meant warp an image.

Last edited by MikeW; 8th February 2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 19th June 2013, 05:44 AM   #46
MrDB

MrDB is on a distinguished road

THAAAAAAAAAN Q
Old 9th July 2013, 10:22 AM   #47
Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix is on a distinguished road

A few more wishes

1. The ability to select objects with the same properties such as fill, line weight etc
2. An option to flatten the selected objects - for example if I use the freeform paint tool to colour an image the results is often a mess of overlapping objects and it would be nice to be able to flatten those into only as many shapes as would make up what is visible - see toon boom studio for an example of what I mean. (I am aware that there is a work around for this but it would be convenient if it was just the click of a button)

Last edited by Vercingetorix; 9th July 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 13th July 2013, 02:10 PM   #48
JET

JET will become famous soon enough

The majority of this program is just standard-fare. Nothing special about it to distinguish itself from any other entry-level drawing program.

With one potential exception: The axonometric drawing feature (3D Planes). Sadly, its current state is half-baked, at best. It's a great start on a clean interface treatment, but the actual behavior in its released form is so bug-ridden as to render it useless.

Support for proper axonometric drawing is glaringly absent in all mainstream drawing illustration programs and represents a huge opportunity for the first to get it right. All Serif has to do to turn this into something of competitive value worth crowing about is to fix the related behaviors.

Geometry is simply wrong when angles are sent to the planes:

Grid snaps simply do not work correctly on the plane grids. All one has to do to see that is try it.

And there is no way you can call this correct dimensioning:

Nevermind that the displayed dimension along the top of the isometric square is upside down; look at the actual dimension values both on the page and in the Transform palette. Both of those dimensions should be 3" according to the plane grid. (And would be useless if they are not meant to reflect measure along the iso grid.) But even failing that, they should clearly be equal.

These errors became painfully obvious during just the first few minutes of exploring this feature.

This is extremely disappointing, because the basic interface scheme for this feature is quite elegant. If its basic geometry and behaviors were fixed this feature could serve to introduce countless users of mainstream drawing programs to an important drawing disipline they've been missing out on for decades--by means of a clean and unintimidating interface.

But as it is, it is tragically--debilitatingly--flawed. It should, of course, be fixed immediately anyway, because as demonstrated above, it is full of basic error; it does not even behave as advertised. In fairness, the repair of these errors should be issued as a free bug fix, much less as an update in the next version.

JET
Old 7th August 2013, 05:27 PM   #49
SpillTheBeans

SpillTheBeans is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

• Multiple Page Sizes within a single document (Eg. Page 1 is A4, Page 2 is A0, etc....).
  • Improved and enlarged Bevel Editor for Instant 3D.
  • Allow Instant 3D Objects to be edited when they are within a Group.
  • 3D 'lathe'/rotate tool (as in Illustrator).
  • Improved Snapping (it is very hit and miss as it stands).
  • Higher zoom level (on 23" monitor 10,000x is needed for fine work).
  • Ability to scroll the page further (working on a life size drawing sheet 4' x 4' the scrolling is limited so I can't see much of the off paper area).
  • Diagonal Guides.
  • Ability to rotate around an objects corners/line centres using drag handles on page, instead of just the white rotate circle (which can be impossible to place accurately on a corner).
  • Improved Layers Studio (E.g.: Scrolling when drag and dropping, more Right Click Menu functions such as 'Group'.)
  • Hot key to make dragged object 50% transparent to aid placement.
  • Hash & crosshash fill patterns (customisable).
  • Ability to use the Format Painter with objects directly in the Layer Tab.
  • Ability to automatically select all matching objects by name or other features (maybe all of the same size, or line colour or line weight, etc.?). This feature would have saved me many hours of work so far!
  • Option to select multiple objects then edit each individual one's properties. (E.g. Select 6 circles and then enter a new width/height that is applied to each one NOT the whole group. So if each circle is 3cm across entering 6cm will make EACH one 6cm across not the whole group.)
  • Lots more bugs fixed! Still crashes a lot for me at least.

I hope most of these features can be added to DP X7, and some as bug fixes for the current X6.

Last edited by SpillTheBeans; 21st August 2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added a request...
Old 26th August 2013, 03:53 PM   #50
TPLx

TPLx is on a distinguished road

I'm with SpillTheBeans on "Multiple Page Sizes within a single document (Eg. Page 1 is A4, Page 2 is A0, etc....).". This is some ability that DP lacks.
And I add two more:
-The ability to access the "glyphs menu", when on Text mode, like we can do on, Page Plus by clicking Shift+S. This would be great, I think, because for example, in my case, I make a lot of posters on DP and I use some specific font glyphs. (and for the moment I have to use an external character map program to copy the glyph and paste it onto the text I want it to be, and then adjust the font size and sub-family manually...).
-The ability to choose what layer to print, (like on PP) despite the fact that it's a visible layer or not...

I'm wishing these, a lot... I hope they would be implemented.

(I'm currently using DPX5)

Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:56 PM   #51
KG_iT

KG_iT is on a distinguished road

1. Selecting objcts depending on their attributes like filling, line size, transparency
  2. Link object styles and object - so if you modify the object style the corresponding objects will be updated

Last edited by KG_iT; 3rd September 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:59 PM   #52
Peejay

Peejay has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_iT View Post
"Global colors": colors you can use anywhere and if you change the color in the color pallet, the color will be changed in any object the color is used.
Do you mean like 'scheme colours'?
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:06 PM   #53
KG_iT

Yes. Right. But I prefer the behavior of colors in the way of text/paragraph formats. So it's not only the "scheme color" but more a color format. Illustrator, Freehand works this way over plenty of years... ;-)

Think of that: You have created 100 pages using "Color1" as "red" now you decide to use "Color1" as "blue" (Becasue of the design process)... Changing the "Color1" into blue is a matter of seconds and you are save to replace any use.
Old 3rd September 2013, 01:51 PM   #54
Ken Cope
Expert

Ken Cope is just really niceKen Cope is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_iT View Post
  1. - "Global colors": colors you can use anywhere and if you change the color in the color pallet, the color will be changed in any object the color is used.
1 can be done now (and has been available for many versions).
1) Create object
2) Add colour
3) Right click swatch in swatches tab
4) Choose edit
5) Click 'Linked' in pop up colour window.

Whenever this colour is changed all objects using this colour will be updated with the new colour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	linked-colour.png
Views:	155
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	43731  

Windows 10 64bit AMD A10-6700 APU AMD Radeon HD8670D + R7 240 2GB Dual Graphics 16GB DDR3 Ram
Old 3rd September 2013, 03:14 PM   #55
KG_iT

It works! I tried it yesterday but I didn't update anything after changing. Could be a littel error... After moving or pointig on any object changes the color as expected.

So fast a wish become true :-)

I will delete my posts. :-)

Perhaps it exists any solution for object styles?

Last edited by KG_iT; 3rd September 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 4th November 2013, 04:11 PM   #56
Kuttyjoe

Kuttyjoe is on a distinguished road

I love this program, but it's so buggy. The majority of the bugs that were being reported from X5 were not fixed for X6. X6 had almost no new features but a very steep price for practically nothing new. Not that it's an expensive program, but for what was added in X6, it was not worth it. Not even the bugs are fixed. For X7, I would be happy with just bug fixes.

I think DrawPlus is a brilliant program. As an Illustrator user for decades, I am genuinely choosing DrawPlus for some specific tasks like drawing with brushes. DrawPlus can go places where Illustrator could never work such as on my tablet PC. Illustrator has the best vector brushes in the world, but it's interface is not supportive of the act of drawing. DrawPlus has done it right. The interface is set up to make drawing with stylus on screen painless and smooth, except for the quality issues. The extremely buggy layers and the crashes due to making a stroke which is too small. Try something like stippling and you will crash within 15 seconds, every time.

If Serif would deal with the quality issues, DrawPlus would be an even greater asset. I upgraded to X6...just because. But that's not going to happen with X7. I mean, I really want to support Serif. They've done something really special here that really supports what I'm doing. I've done work that takes less than an hour in DrawPlus and made more money for that hour than the entire cost of DrawPlus! However, I've done wonderful work that had me smiling while working, only to watch it crash and burn, multiple times. During those times, I swore I would never open DrawPlus again. I keep coming back but with the notion that I will work more carefully. Yesterday, I crashed 3 or 4 times while trying to draw. I "saved often", and the one time I didn't, I was pleasantly surprised that Serif's auto backup saved 85% of my progress. But it's discouraging. So for X7, I will need some real assurances that it won't be a repeat of X6. I won't buy it while hoping for the best. Because I can continue with X6 if that's the case. I will buy it if some very specific bugs are addressed. The layers need to be fixed, and the glitchy brushes need to be fixed so that I don't crash during almost every session. If Serif shows that they have some concern for the quality of this program, I will gleefully support them with my dollars.
Old 5th November 2013, 06:22 AM   #57
Fogtown

Fogtown is on a distinguished road

I use DrawPlus for technical drawings. I would like to see more technical fills and textures such as diamond plate, crosshatch, etc. Also make the line / fill icon larger, (or make that size an user option).
Old 21st November 2013, 04:49 PM   #58
SpillTheBeans

SpillTheBeans is on a distinguished road

• Multiple Page Sizes within a single document (Eg. Page 1 is A4, Page 2 is A0, etc....).
  • Ability to name pages for easier location, selection, etc.
  • Improved and enlarged Bevel Editor for Instant 3D.
  • Allow Instant 3D Objects to be edited when they are within a Group.
  • 3D 'lathe'/rotate tool (as in Illustrator).
  • Improved Snapping (it is very hit and miss as it stands).
  • Higher zoom level (on 23" monitor 10,000x is needed for fine work).
  • Ability to scroll the page further (working on a life size drawing sheet 4' x 4' the scrolling is limited so I can't see much of the off paper area).
  • Diagonal Guides.
  • Allow guides over objects to be moved when using Node Tool also over object.
  • Ability to rotate around an objects corners/line centres using drag handles on page, instead of just the white rotate circle (which can be impossible to place accurately on a corner).
  • Improved Layers Studio (E.g.: Scrolling when drag and dropping, more Right Click Menu functions such as 'Group'.)
  • Hot key to make dragged object 50% transparent to aid placement.
  • Hot key to make dragged object stay at their Layer depth to aid placement.
  • Hash & crosshatch fill patterns (customisable).
  • Ability to use the Format Painter with objects directly in the Layer Tab.
  • Ability to automatically select all matching objects by name or other features (maybe all of the same size, or line colour or line weight, etc.?). This feature would have saved me many hours of work so far!
  • Option to select multiple objects then edit each individual one's properties. (E.g. Select 6 circles and then enter a new width/height that is applied to each one NOT the whole group. So if each circle is 3cm across entering 6cm will make EACH one 6cm across not the whole group.)
  • Option to display Dimension Tool Units as Feet AND Inches instead of Feet with decimal points. (Eg. Display "4ft. 8ins" not "4.667ft".
  • Fix bugs in 3D Planes mode.
  • Ability to print specific layers only.
  • Ability to enter 'formulas' in to numeric boxes (Eg. using an equals sign to indicate what follows is a formula:- "=3.776-1.277", or "=34/13"
  • Updated and expanded help file.
  • Lots more bugs fixed! Still crashes a lot for me at least.
I hope most of these features can be added to DP X7, and some as bug fixes for the current X6.

Last edited by SpillTheBeans; 22nd November 2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 25th November 2013, 12:39 AM   #59
Kuttyjoe

The Rotate canvas tool would be great if there were a way to toggle it while drawing, the way it works in other programs. Just hold a key, rotate screen, let key go and continue drawing. The way it is now, you have to stop what you're doing, go down to the bottom of the screen, click the tool, rotate the screen, go back to the bottom of the screen, click it again, then continue drawing. The current set up seems to assume that people are rotating the screen once then working that way for a period of time. When drawing, it's like drawing on paper. You're rotating the paper constantly. If this tool is done right, you'd treat it the same as drawing on paper. As it is now, it's almost unusable because it's too inconvenient to use.

Last edited by Kuttyjoe; 25th November 2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 25th November 2013, 09:48 PM   #60
Kuttyjoe

There's a bug with drawing with brush tools. If you draw too slowly, you get a ton of anchor points. It doesn't matter what setting you use with the line smoothing option. Set it to 100% smooth line and you will still get a bunch of anchor points if you draw too slowly.

Smart Fill tool. This is probably difficult because of the nature of image based brushes. They're not true vectors. But it would be great if it could be worked out so you could more easily color your drawings. Currently, it's easier to just export and color in a different program. Or, convert to raster, then vectorize to get fillable shapes. It's a long way from the effortless smart fill type tool found in Illustrator.

True vector brushes fail as soon as you start scaling. They begin to take on weird shapes. Like if you draw a half circle with stroke, no fill. Start zooming and suddenly you get a wacky fill going across it. The same thing happens when you change the zoom level! That needs to be dealt with.

I've reported this one and it's been confirmed, but it's still possible to lock a layer and continue drawing on it. It's also possible to both lock and hide a layer and continue drawing on it. LOL

Clicking the lock on a layer, or the eye to turn it on/off should not simultaneously select that layer. This problem is what always leads to the problem of drawing on a locked layer for me. I have a layer that I'm working on and a template layer below. I clock to lock the template layer and continue drawing, only I don't realize that I'm drawing on the locked template layer. Just a whole mess of bugs right there. It should have been sorted out in X5.

I would like a way to randomize brush strokes. For example, if you have a group of similar brush strokes. It would be cool to paint with them having the strokes change from among the group. Right now I'm just manually going back and changing them to keep the strokes from looking repetitious. This would be a killer/unique feature.

Adding a point to a line is weird. Seems like you're supposed to click once on the line to add a point. But that often doesn't work. But if you double click, you'll get 2 point. One right on top of the other. It should be that you double click to add a single point. The single click just seems problematic.

Small text issue. If I write a word, then select a font. Then duplicate the word, and go back to select another font, I would want it to continue from the original font. Instead, it starts at the top of the font list, which means I need to go through all the fonts that I've already gone through all over again. There's no way to quickly jump back to the position of the first font and continue down the list from there except to manually find that font again. This one little thing makes comparing fonts a little difficult.

There's an odd limit to panning. Seems like should be able to pan very far in any direction but it just stops at a certain point.

Control+Spacebar for zooming. Like most graphic programs.

There's some quirky behavior with scaling strokes. It's awesome that it's interactive, but it only works if you're not starting from zero. If you're starting from zero, you won't see a change until you let go of the slider. Then you suddenly see a big stroke. From there you can slide and watch as the stroke gets bigger/smaller.

Custom toolbar configuration needs to be saveable. Every time there's a new update it tries to default the toolbars. Every time you reinstall you have to recreate the custom toolbars.

Lastly, there's a scaling bug. It seems to happen when you try to scale grouped objects. As soon as you click on a selection handle, you'll see the art quickly warp out of shape. If you click it again and again it will continue to warp. The change is not small and subtle. It's huge and impossible to miss. I tried ungrouping the art once before scaling and it worked.