Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 11th March 2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

As DPX6 has now been released, please post your wishes and desires for X7 here!

Old 11th March 2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Arun Sarkar

Arun Sarkar has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

A) CMYK EPS Export with TIFF preview
B) CDR Import like uniconverter
C) AI & CMX Export
D) Contour tool update
Old 13th March 2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

1. Something like the PushBack Tool would be good for DrawPlus (if not PagePlus too).
  2. Diagonal guidelines
  3. Parallel guidelines
  4. Custom Borders like PagePlus
  5. WebP Import/Export
  6. Animated GIF Import
  7. Animated APNG Import/Export.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 1st June 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 14th March 2013, 02:48 PM   #4
sleekdigital

sleekdigital is well on the road to greatness

Mostly carry overs from my X6 wishlist

- A proper Mesh Fill tool that conforms to the shape it is applied to like most other implementations.

- Improved support for vector brushes. Allow the same options that are allowed for bitmap based brushes and fix rendering issues.

- Improved contour tool.

- The Roughen Tool, really needs some options. Anything in the direction of Corel Draw's distortion tool would be great.

- It would be great to have an option such that when you delete a node, DP would try its best to preserve the shape of the object. Illustrator has this option and I believe Inkscape does this by default.

- Triangle, Arc, and Spiral should be quick shapes instead of line tools.
Old 26th March 2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Peanuts

Peanuts has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
  1. Something like the PushBack Tool would be good for DrawPlus (if not PagePlus too).
  2. Diagonal guidelines
  3. Parallel guidelines
  4. Custom Borders like PagePlus
  5. WebP Import/Export
  6. Animated GIF Import.
Yes to all.

Plus more accurate snapping to guides, without having to zoom right up.
Old 26th March 2013, 07:02 PM   #6
JesusSheep

JesusSheep is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Box.com support and free account like Pinnacle Studio 16.
This can be done for all products.
Old 27th March 2013, 03:21 PM   #7
GlosterDave

GlosterDave is on a distinguished road

One thing that I would very much like to see in DrawPlus is editable fills for technical type drawing. These would comprise of, say, hash lines, a honeycomb pattern, circles, chequer pattern etc. with frequency, angle (for lines), thickness (of lines) etc. settable - perhaps in a similar way to the properties of the library shapes or via a "Format" dialogue.

These would have to be able to fill either enclosed shapes from the library or custom constructed shapes.

I often do semi-technical drawings in instruction documents and colours are not always suitable for use as fills.

A "super addition" to this would be the ability of making ones own shapes as fill items.

An example of my idea for a editable hashing fill is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDITABLE HATCHING FILL FOR SHAPES IN DRAWPLUS.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	40798  
Old 27th March 2013, 03:35 PM   #8
GlosterDave

I often need to repeat a single item or group in a regular pattern - an "array". This is usually rectangular so copy/paste regroup, repeat can be done but this is time consuming. Being able to programme by; "repeat item on x rows at p mm by y columns at r mm" would be good.

Being able to create a circular array; "repeat n items at q degrees separation on r radius" would be even better. Being able to determine whether the items remained in the original orientation or were orientated to the centre of the array (each rotated as needed) would be a cherry on the top!

Last edited by GlosterDave; 27th March 2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Added feature.
Old 27th March 2013, 04:15 PM   #9
sleekdigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlosterDave View Post
I often need to repeat a single item or group in a regular pattern - an "array". This is usually rectangular so copy/paste regroup, repeat can be done but this is time consuming. Being able to programme by; "repeat item on x rows at p mm by y columns at r mm" would be good.

Being able to create a circular array; "repeat n items at q degrees separation on r radius" would be even better. Being able to determine whether the items remained in the original orientation or were orientated to the centre of the array (each rotated as needed) would be a cherry on the top!
Most of this is already available with the "replicate" and "transform" options in the "tools" menu.

Also the first part is very quick to do if you use blends. Copy object, move, blend. Copy blend, move, blend, done.

Last edited by sleekdigital; 27th March 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 27th March 2013, 04:26 PM   #10
GlosterDave

Yes, I had forgotten Replicate, I hang my head in shame there! But a circular array would still be nice.

I have used DrawPlus for many years and find it answers most of my needs for simple stuff, birthday cards, menus, programmes etc. Anything more complex and it falls down a bit. Professional graphics people I know are still disparaging about it and even I often feel that it needs to "grow up" a bit.

Last edited by GlosterDave; 27th March 2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Forgot "Replicate" and clarifications.
Old 27th March 2013, 04:35 PM   #11
sleekdigital

Then it might help to be more specific with your request. The software has a features that seem to meet your requirements with a few exceptions. It's not entirely clear what you are asking for that the software doesn't already have.
Old 27th March 2013, 04:50 PM   #12
sleekdigital

Quote:
But a circular array would still be nice.
Did you look at transform?
Old 28th March 2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Tony_A20

Tony_A20 is on a distinguished road
Default DrawPlus - Migrating brushes, fills, and palettes

Technical support says it doesn't have a channel to pass feedback to DrawPlus Development?????

They've suggested I post my feed back here. My question was about how to move my custom brushes, fills and palettes from DrawPlus X5 to X6.

Here is what I said in reply to Tech support's instructions, which worked for moving brushed.

"Thanks for your reply.

You could have just said,
copy: C:\Documents and Settings\Work\Application Data\Serif\DrawPlus\12.0\Brushes\MyBrushes
to: C:\Documents and Settings\Work\Application Data\Serif\DrawPlus\13.0\Brushes\MyBrushes

I had originally tried that, but they didn't show up in 13. Could it have been because I copied the folder rather than creating the folder and copying the contents? Doesn't matter, they work now.

Since this is about the fourth time (X2 to X6) I've had the same problem of moving my custom Brushes, BitFills, and Palettes, I've finally smartened up and created:
C:\Program Files\Serif\DrawPlus\MyBitFills
C:\Program Files\Serif\DrawPlus\MyBrushes
C:\Program Files\Serif\DrawPlus\MyPalettes

to contain my custom tools and make them independent of the application version.

Since "Add Bitmap fill" only needs to point at a source of the custom fill to add it to:
C:\Documents and Settings\Work\Application Data\Serif\DrawPlus\13.0\UserBitmapThumbnails\My Bitmaps,
having my custom BitFills independent of the application version is more efficient and effective;

and the brushes are similar since dumping them in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Work\Application Data\Serif\DrawPlus\13.0\Brushes\MyBrushes
as you suggested achieves the same result---mine are now also independent of the application version; and,

why doesn't simply moving custom palettes to:
C:\Documents and Settings\Work\Application Data\Serif\DrawPlus\13.0\Palettes
do the same thing--I'm sure Serif doesn't know.

Adding custom BitFills, Brushes, and Palettes should follow the same procedure, to achieve what is essentially the same result. Having three processes is poor design, having different procedures to migrate custom tools forward is poor programming. I'm speaking from 30 years of experience designing and building major interactive application systems.

Allowing customers to create custom tools means they must be supported with a migration capability from version to version. Building custom fills, brushes, and palettes is too much work to just throw away.

Detach the source of custom tools from application versions (as I have now done) and include them automatically in new versions and upgrades (as Serif fails to do). If Serif can't find a better way to migrate a customer's efforts, customers will migrate to other vendors.

I managed to add all my custom bitfills by using the "add" function and selecting my custom bitfill file, but with 61 custom fills, each needing 6 clicks to add, it's more than tiresome. It's bloody stupidity!

Moving brushes was easier, but why couldn't X6 have done it as part of the installation.

The same goes for migrating palettes, making custom palettes subordinate to some pre-existing palette is just plain ignorant. Fire the person responsible.

Please pass these comments to the DrawPlus design manager. If I'm taking the time to write this, he should read it.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited by mjh; 28th March 2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added software name
Old 28th March 2013, 08:57 PM   #14
adi

adi is on a distinguished road

Selecting colours and adding new colours to swatches pallets

On the colour studio tab
When you double click on the fill/line colour the Colour Selector box opens and once you chose a colour model the same colour model will still be selected when you double click on the fill/line again.

But
On the Swatch studio tab
When you add new colours to a pallet the Colour Selector always defaults to RGB Sliders.

Can this be changed so that when selecting colours to add in the swatches pallets the Colour Selector remembers the last colour model used. It’s very laborious having to keep re-select the colour model each time you add a new colour to a pallet.

thank you.
Old 28th March 2013, 09:53 PM   #15
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
One thing that I would very much like to see in DrawPlus is editable fills for technical type drawing. These would comprise of, say, hash lines, a honeycomb pattern, circles, chequer pattern etc. with frequency, angle (for lines), thickness (of lines) etc. settable - perhaps in a similar way to the properties of the library shapes or via a "Format" dialogue.

These would have to be able to fill either enclosed shapes from the library or custom constructed shapes.

I often do semi-technical drawings in instruction documents and colours are not always suitable for use as fills.

A "super addition" to this would be the ability of making ones own shapes as fill items.

I would definitely vote for this!!

Lon in California
Old 28th March 2013, 10:26 PM   #16
adi

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon in California View Post
I would definitely vote for this!!

Lon in California
I vote for this also.
Actually I think I voted for this during the X3, X4 and X5 wishlists too lol
Old 4th April 2013, 04:44 PM   #17
FDolansky

FDolansky is on a distinguished road

- The ability to import/export the "My Designs" galleries from computer to computer. Right now, if I created symbols, artwork, etc that I use regularly within various drawings on my office computer, I have to re-create those same items on my home computer. This is very time consuming. Import/export would make it much simpler.
Old 6th April 2013, 02:31 PM   #18
Bill-Flynn

Bill-Flynn is on a distinguished road
Default New feature suggestion for Quick Shapes rectangle.

I bought DrawPlus X5 about a year ago after using CorelDraw 6 and CorelDraw 9 for about 10 years. I have only used X5 about 25 times and for a modern drawing program there are some features that CorelDraw 6 and 9 had that X5 does not have and one feature I used a lot in CorelDraw is: after drawing a square or rectangle their is no method to put a different size radius on each corner or a radius on the two top corners and leave the two bottom corners square.

I have already asked technical support and this feature is not supported in DrawPlus.

In DrawPlus when you adjust the corner radius of a square or rectangle it adjusts all 4 corners whereas in CorelDraw there are 4 individual adjustments, one for each corner.

How many other DrawPlus users would like to be able to adjust the radius of each corner on a square or rectangle ? I am sure their will be thousands of users...

DrawPlus developers how about adding this feature to DrawPlus ? If CorelDraw 6 could include it ten years or so ago I am sure DrawPlus developers can do it in 2013...
Old 6th April 2013, 04:20 PM   #19
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New feature suggestion for Quick Shapes rectangle.

I cannot imagine many users needing this, let alone thousands. DPX6 just added "Lock Geometry" for Quick Rectangles to keep all four corners the same radius when resizing the shape.

Last edited by AlfredP; 6th April 2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Post moved from separate thread
Old 6th April 2013, 05:27 PM   #20
adi

Default Re: New feature suggestion for Quick Shapes rectangle.

Independent corner adjustment has been requested before, I'm one of the people who asked for it, I also asked for scallop and chamfer options, all to be independent for each corner too, unlike corel.

Relative corner scaling is in CorelDraw also but is a separate function from the corners function