Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 24th January 2012, 01:27 AM   #1
bobfelstead

bobfelstead is on a distinguished road
Default Blog access

What am I doing wrong? Set up a blog with the access control on a master page. Set the page security for the user group too, allowing users to automatically sign up for access to the blog. All works well, however.... everyone has the ability to Edit and deleteall blog posts. Is this normal??? or is there a way to give users limited access, that is to:

1. Create a new post
2. Comment on an existing post.

Without the edit and delete facility? It's driving me nuts and it's now 1.00 in the morning.

Everything works execept the users ability to change the content. Website is at www.lbfl.co.uk. I want to produce the blog with SWR, rather than have to install either wordpress or joomla my hosts server.

Any help?
Old 24th January 2012, 02:21 AM   #2
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana
Default Re: Blog access

If you create a new access control user list group, you can make that the blog editors group. This would enable you to restrict who can edit blog. My understanding is that anyone can comment on an existing post (if comments are allowed). However only those in the editors group would be able to create a new blog article (and delete articles!).
Old 24th January 2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Dond
Expert

Dond is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfelstead View Post
What am I doing wrong? Set up a blog with the access control on a master page. Set the page security for the user group too, allowing users to automatically sign up for access to the blog. All works well, however.... everyone has the ability to Edit and deleteall blog posts. Is this normal??? or is there a way to give users limited access,
Hi

Yes this is normal. If you have set up your blog and using Access control group anyone in that group can post, Edit, Delete blogs. I know no way to limit access.
If you have also set up so users can leave comments then anyone can leave comments and these can only get deleted when you have logged into SWR.

Last edited by Dond; 24th January 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 24th January 2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond View Post
If you have set up your blog and using Access control group anyone in that group can post, Edit, Delete blogs.
You can use one access control group to control access to the page and a different access control group for the editors.

Quote:
If you have also set up so users can leave comments then anyone can leave comments and these can only get deleted when you have logged into SWR.
If you are in the editors group and log in to the access control user list smart object, you can edit without logging into Serif Web Resources (SWR). You may need to refresh the page in your browser after logging in.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:33 AM   #5
bobfelstead

Quote:
Hi

Yes this is normal. If you have set up your blog and using Access control group anyone in that group can post, Edit, Delete blogs. I know no way to limit access.
Thanks Dond, I must confess I thought that I was doing something wrong!

I'll get some sleep now!
Old 24th January 2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Archibald
Master

Quote:
Thanks Dond, I must confess I thought that I was doing something wrong!

I'll get some sleep now!
Have you seen my posts in this thread?
Old 24th January 2012, 11:55 AM   #7
bobfelstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
You can use one access control group to control access to the page and a different access control group for the editors.

If you are in the editors group and log in to the access control user list smart object, you can edit without logging into Serif Web Resources (SWR). You may need to refresh the page in your browser after logging in.
Hi Archibald,

How do I set up 2 access groups to the page? Obviously, the page is protected and the editors group is already set up. If I add another group with automatic sign up, are they allowed access to the secure page if this is not set within the SWR blog object on that page?

Is there something that I'm missing here?

Regards,

Bob
Old 24th January 2012, 12:13 PM   #8
bobfelstead

Quote:
Hi Archibald,

I've seen your thread on this post and have already replied with a few more questions.

Regards,

Bob
Old 24th January 2012, 12:59 PM   #9
bobfelstead

Quote:
Hi Archibald,

You are the man!!! Spent a little time thinking about your post this morning and voila! Job done...you are right about access controls. Managed to set up an Editors group an a general group and this is precisely what I was looking for.

I think that I was too tired and frustrated last night to see a solution. Thanks to Dond too, he was also correct about blog access. I must remember to think first and then to engage brain..

This forum is great.
Old 24th January 2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Archibald
Master

Quote:
Spent a little time thinking about your post this morning and voila! Job done...you are right about access controls. Managed to set up an Editors group an a general group and this is precisely what I was looking for.
Now you know why I was wondering if you had seen my posts! Sorry if my explanations were rather concise.

I thought you may want anyone to be able to post an article but only editor(s) able to delete and edit articles. The Serif blog does not allow that as far as I know.
Old 24th January 2012, 03:18 PM   #11
Dond
Expert

Dond is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Yes but it sounded as if bobfelstead has an access group with the blog smart object so users signing up he wants to allow to post a blog but not be able to edit which he can't do.

Quote:
Can you edit/delete the Comments? I can not, I have to go into SWR and log into my smart objects.
Old 24th January 2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Archibald
Master

Quote:
Yes but it sounded as if bobfelstead has an access group with the blog smart object so users signing up he wants to allow to post a blog but not be able to edit which he can't do.
Yes, I also thought that.

Quote:
Can you edit/delete the Comments? I can not, I have to go into SWR and log into my smart objects.
As a member of the editors group you can edit and delete articles but you cannot edit or delete comments (except by deleting the article).

If you sign into Serif Web Resources with the username under which the blog was created you can delete comments but not edit them as far as I'm aware. I don't think you can add a comment when logged into Serif Web Resources, only via the blog web page.