Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 4th February 2012, 03:48 PM   #21
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why No Mac Versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CumbriaSmithy View Post
...Until then the poor guys had to make do with the likes of Ventura Publisher...and CorelDraw, all of which were difficult to use and even more difficult to output film separations or bromide paper artwork from.
Well, your experience and mine differ vastly. None of the bureaus I did work for in the USA, from the Northwest to Philly, ever had an issue dealing with properly built files from either application. No more so than properly built files originating from Mac apps. Both platforms and applications can make files that cannot image properly.

I can still start up and burn a .ps file out of CorelDraw 1.2 and it will image on any imagesetter.

Ventura's power has never been equaled in layout software. Which is why some shops, such as mine, still have an XP Pro machine around to use it whenever possible. FrameMaker is the closest but even with updating that expensive, slow hog of an application for the 12 or so years that Corel stop updating VP, it still isn't there.

Which is why I often mention VP functions in the Wish List for PagePlus that I believe PP should incorporate.

As for Mac versions, it might be a market worth going after. While a 10% installed market share isn't much going by percentage, there are a lot of Mac installations in shear numbers.

But "professionals" on either platform is not where the money is. It is hobbyists that drive the market. And they are the vast majority of users on either platform. The icing on the user-cake is governmental agency contracts. But "professionals" will not adopt new software until market perception and end-point providers do.

Take care, Mike
Old 7th February 2012, 12:55 PM   #22
nomco

nomco is on a distinguished road

Can't see it happening, unless they did something from scratch. It would take too much work to take the current Windows programs and make them behave properly on the Mac.
Old 2nd March 2012, 06:55 PM   #23
jazzfisher

jazzfisher is on a distinguished road

Does anyone out there use WebPlus on a Mac using a Windows emulator? Is it seamless? I am too looking for an answer to this question. Anyone?

I have switched to mac-I have tried Rapidweaver, Flux etc-there is nothing like Webplus for mac. It is the one thing I'm missing.
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:45 PM   #24
BrianE
Master

BrianE is a jewel in the roughBrianE is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfisher View Post
Does anyone out there use WebPlus on a Mac using a Windows emulator? Is it seamless? I am too looking for an answer to this question. Anyone?

I have switched to mac-I have tried Rapidweaver, Flux etc-there is nothing like Webplus for mac. It is the one thing I'm missing.
Yeah, all of the Serif software works great on Parallels for Mac. I suggest Parallels over VMware due to the fact that Parallels is so much faster.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:44 PM   #25
jazzfisher

jazzfisher is on a distinguished road

Thanks Brian!!!
Old 7th April 2012, 06:07 PM   #26
PAW

PAW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CumbriaSmithy View Post
I tried Freeway too, and I also bought RapidWeaver, but neither package matches WebPlus. As I use my Mac most of the time I have taught myself Joomla, which is great, and works directly on the server through our browsers, but it's still not as easy as WebPlus!

Does anyone out there use WebPlus on a Mac using a Windows emulator? Is it seamless?
I'm currently using Web Plus X5 on a Mac Book Pro (Lion) using Parallels Desktop 7 and it is totally seamless.
I'd still prefer Serif to produce a native mac version though.
Old 19th July 2013, 09:05 AM   #27
Creativedb

Creativedb is on a distinguished road

I think this is how Serif see itself as catering for the amateur, as all the other graphic and design programs out there of any consequence what-so-ever have a MAC version. Until Serif produce MAC based versions of it's software it will always be considered amateur software for an amateur market and we all know it despite any number of awards.
The Mac platform, love it or hate it, has always been linked with design and quality product with the PC market having a build it yourself budget reputation you can improve upon.
I think Serif need a Mac based version of their software as even the freeware graphic software has MAC versions with a far smaller R&D budgets than Serif.
SERIF you need to up your game, no argument !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19th July 2013, 09:20 AM   #28
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativedb View Post
Until Serif produce MAC based versions of it's software it will always be considered amateur software for an amateur market and we all know it despite any number of awards.
This is just a snob's argument. A Professional user is someone who get's paid for their work, not someone who pays through the nose for software and hardware.

I am an amateur user, but I would have no problems with using a MAC if it was cheaper and better for my needs than a Windows based PC, and could run the software that I need to use for my work. The platform is not cheaper, or better, and doesn't support the software that I use, so even if someone offered to donate a MAC, I would say, “No thanks, I won't use it.”
Old 19th July 2013, 10:25 AM   #29
Creativedb

Creativedb is on a distinguished road

I understand your love of the PC but the statement still stands.
I can get, if I wish Mac versions of Inkscape, Gimp, Scribus etc. All free software covering most of what Serif's software does, arguably not as good as Serif's in my opinion. These people / software don't have 1 percent of the resources Serif have and yet they have MAC versions.

The question asked is valid - Why, No Mac Versions?

Personally I can see no reason other than Serif simply don't want to make a MAC version and probably don't have the programming ability or in house resources to carry this forward. They should for a credibility only exercise if nothing else.

I am desperately trying to use Serif instead of Adobe products for my work load on both MAC & PC and find I have to keep going back to abobe for a lot of day to day work and swapping from one computer to another.

My main reason for using Serif is I like to buy British if I can but Serif aren't there yet and a MAC version isn't required, I consider it to be an imperative if Serif wish to class themselves with the likes of Adobe & Corel.
Old 19th July 2013, 04:25 PM   #30
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

Quote:
Until Serif produce MAC based versions of it's software it will always be considered amateur software for an amateur market and we all know it despite any number of awards.
Quote:
I understand your love of the PC but the statement still stands...The question asked is valid - Why, No Mac Versions?...
Could be the fact that Mac has had historically, and still does only have, a roughly 10% market share. Now, that 10% is a lot larger now than back in the mid-1990s. But it is still relatively a small market.

That's not to say Serif will not ever produce Mac versions. But it has likely been a pretty dang low priority.

Your statements have been largely misinformed and incredibly biased towards Mac computers and the design community in general.

Good luck.
Old 19th July 2013, 04:37 PM   #31
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
The question asked is valid - Why, No Mac Versions?

Personally I can see no reason other than Serif simply don't want to make a MAC version and probably don't have the programming ability or in house resources to carry this forward. They should for a credibility only exercise if nothing else.
I am sure Serif will have considered creating versions of their software for Mac. Taking everything into account, their decision would have been based almost entirely on whether they expected to get sufficient sales to make a profit from Mac versions.
Old 19th July 2013, 04:43 PM   #32
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

You don't need an iMac to be a professional and very good website designer: the proof is here on these forums. The credibility argument does not hold water - sorry. I should add that I am not one of those professionals, but there are plenty of them here.

Old 19th July 2013, 08:43 PM   #33
PaulB

PaulB is on a distinguished road

No You Don't Need a iMac You Need A MAC Pro ....Serif Should Consider a MAC Version But If They Feel The Markets Not For Them Then So Be It....
Comparing PC and MAC is open to ones interpretation and is a completely pointless argument on either side...I Use both and will always prefer a MAC due to less hardware and software issues for me personally
Old 20th July 2013, 01:35 AM   #34
William

William is just really niceWilliam is just really nice

I would never get a Mac, not because it is a great deal more expensive than a PC, or that it is near impossible for an ordinary user to ever upgrade any part of it, or because it doesn't have a quarter of the software that a PC can use, or because you are locked into a set screen size, or because it costs an arm and a leg to repair it when the warranty runs out, or because companies like Serif won't support it because they cannot make a profit on it, (by the way Creativedb, Gimp/Scribus and Inkscape are all open source, and have no comparison to Serif Programs that are profit based).
No none of these things would stop me from buying a MAC, I just don't like the colors they supply them in!
Old 20th July 2013, 11:53 AM   #35
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I would never get a Mac, not because it is a great deal more expensive than a PC, or that it is near impossible for an ordinary user to ever upgrade any part of it, or because it doesn't have a quarter of the software that a PC can use, or because you are locked into a set screen size, or because it costs an arm and a leg to repair it when the warranty runs out, or because companies like Serif won't support it because they cannot make a profit on it, (by the way Creativedb, Gimp/Scribus and Inkscape are all open source, and have no comparison to Serif Programs that are profit based).
No none of these things would stop me from buying a MAC, I just don't like the colors they supply them in!

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 21st July 2013, 02:44 PM   #36
TBrightman
Serif Europe Limited

TBrightman is on a distinguished road

If anyone is holding out for native Mac applications from Serif then the wait might be a lot shorter than you think. If you are interested in Photo Editing, Vector Drawing, or general Graphics Design then keep an eye on the forums over the next few months.

Tony Brightman (Head of SerifLabs)
Old 21st July 2013, 02:48 PM   #37
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrightman View Post
If anyone is holding out for native Mac applications from Serif then the wait might be a lot shorter than you think. If you are interested in Photo Editing, Vector Drawing, or general Graphics Design then keep an eye on the forums over the next few months.

That's very interesting, thanks, Tony. The perception amongst active members of these forums has always been that Serif lacks the necessary resources to develop native Mac versions of their software applications.

Are there any similar developments on the Linux front?

Alfred
Old 21st July 2013, 03:02 PM   #38
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
That's very interesting, thanks, Tony. The perception amongst active members of these forums has always been that Serif lacks the necessary resources to develop native Mac versions of their software applications.

Are there any similar developments on the Linux front?

Alfred
It has never been just a perception: it is what we have been told. So, a change of heart: let's hope there is a change of heart over the future of these forums.

Old 21st July 2013, 03:11 PM   #39
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrightman View Post

Interesting, indeed! Can WebMcPlus be far behind?
Old 21st July 2013, 04:50 PM   #40
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon in California View Post
Interesting, indeed! Can WebMcPlus be far behind?
Oh dear, I hope not! 'WebMcPlus' sounds much too reminiscent of a mass-produced beef patty in a bun!!

Alfred