Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 26th February 2014, 10:49 PM   #141
PaulEast

PaulEast is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I would like to suggest

Regarding Linux, I have finally installed it on my Samsung NC10 notebook (having successfully screwed-up Windows XP by a bungled repartitioning!) I am very impressed how much better use it makes of a small 'puter with an even smaller screen. I had planned to try the WINE option and see if I can run Serif some programmes that way (probably the free versions). I would be interested to know if anyone has attempted this - preferably successfully, but failures might be instructive, too.
Old 10th March 2014, 12:42 AM   #142
chrsbrss

chrsbrss is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulEast View Post
Regarding Linux, I have finally installed it on my Samsung NC10 notebook (having successfully screwed-up Windows XP by a bungled repartitioning!) I am very impressed how much better use it makes of a small 'puter with an even smaller screen. I had planned to try the WINE option and see if I can run Serif some programmes that way (probably the free versions). I would be interested to know if anyone has attempted this - preferably successfully, but failures might be instructive, too.
I don't know how true it is, but have been told by a friend that some software you don't want to use WINE with, primarily resource hungry software like Video Editing and Photo editing. It had been explained to me that when using those software programs (MoviePlus, PhotoPlus etc) that the resources that the computer uses is extremely high, and that when using wine it causes the computer to freeze because the Processor and memory needs to reserve some space to operate the wine program as well, causing issues.

Again, I've never done it, but the guy who explained it to me did so in a way that made sense at the time.
Old 11th March 2014, 10:36 PM   #143
PaulEast

PaulEast is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much, chrsbrss. Worth knowing.

I certainly wouldn't use my tiny Samsing netbook to do video editing 'cos the Royal Society for the Protection of 'Puters would consider that cruel and unusual treatment.