Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > Web Hosting

Notices

Web Hosting Questions about using or uploading to your hosting from WebPlus.net or other providers

Old 16th January 2014, 10:35 AM   #1
cyprus-dodger

cyprus-dodger is on a distinguished road
Default Help needed please

Had a friend build my a website using WebPlus x6 very happy with site it suits purpose.

www.forces-entertainers.com

With my type of business I need to update new acts/artists on a regular basis, he suggested I do it myself from my own laptop.I downloaded Webplus x6 and installed, I imported my website he created via Import Web Pages.

I did all the alterations and updating and proceded to Publish the ammended site - all seemed well and everything uploaded until I tried to view my website and got a 403 Forbidden Error - my friend had to re-upload his original made site without the ammendments.

My question is: Is it possible to download this website from the creator in this way update it and then try to publish it myself? and is it possible to send the newly created ammended/updated file that I did back to the original creator to publish on his computer?

I am not familier with web building and or publishing so if there is a simple solution to this be gentle with me.

Thanks in antisipation of a solution.
Old 16th January 2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help needed please

Ask your friend for the *.wpp file, and tell him to embed all of the content. If it's too big to send by email, use Dropbox or Wikisend.
Old 16th January 2014, 11:10 AM   #3
cyprus-dodger

Thx for your speedy reply - how does he embed all the content sorry to be a bit newbie here don't think he is to clued up either so the simpler I can explain to him the better.
Old 16th January 2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

From the Tools menu, Site Manager submenu, open the Resource Manager. Sort the list of content by "Placement" and change any content that is "Linked" to "Embedded."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Change Linked to Embedded.png
Views:	94
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	45123  

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 16th January 2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 16th January 2014, 01:20 PM   #5
cyprus-dodger

Thank you will pass your info to my friend and let you know the result.
Old 16th January 2014, 02:02 PM   #6
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
From the Tools menu, Site Manager submenu, open the Resource Manager. Sort the list of content by "Placement" and change any content that is "Linked" to "Embedded."
If you select all resources in the list (by putting a tick in the checkbox to the left of the Name column header) you can use the 'Linked/Embedded' dropdown at the bottom of the Placement column to change the setting in a single operation.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 17th January 2014, 07:01 AM   #7
cyprus-dodger

The website creator says he don't have a .wpp file but has sent a folder containing everything saying this is the content of the .wpp file, I have no idea what to do with this I thought every site created with WebPlus would have a .wpp file am I correct?

To save his involvement as mention previously I have opened the webite via Import Web Pages done the updating that I need - I have checked my list of content and several are marked "linked" if I change my list to "embedded" and try and upload will that work?
Old 17th January 2014, 07:15 AM   #8
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyprus-dodger View Post
The website creator says he don't have a .wpp file but has sent a folder containing everything saying this is the content of the .wpp file, I have no idea what to do with this I thought every site created with WebPlus would have a .wpp file am I correct?
Yes - nobody can create a website with WebPlus without a .wpp file: it's the project file. The folder he has sent you is probably what he published to disk. Ask him to search his computer for the .wpp file from which he published the contents of that folder.

Old 17th January 2014, 08:39 AM   #9
cyprus-dodger

Original website builder has decided not to cooperate or help me so that is the end of that.
Old 17th January 2014, 08:44 AM   #10
cyprus-dodger

All I have asked for is the .wpp file and he says he can't find it and now he has thrown his toys out of his pram and don't want to help me, this is also or was a good friend and he is featured on this entertainment website to get him work.
Old 17th January 2014, 08:52 AM   #11
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Not worth losing a friend over. Just rebuilding the site with copy/paste is not a huge task.

If you're going to be maintaining the site in the future, then you need to acquire the skills to build it yourself anyway.
Old 17th January 2014, 12:31 PM   #12
cyprus-dodger

Thanks I will certainly have a go myself.