Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > Scan, Stitch & Share

Notices

Scan, Stitch & Share Questions about using Scan, Stitch & Share for scanning and assembling large documents

Old 8th November 2009, 10:47 AM   #21
John W

John W is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Serif launches Scan, Stitch & Share

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Yes, it works very well, usually giving better results than can be obtained with PhP.
Thanks Mike,
not wanting to hijack the thread but can you expand on usually?
Old 8th November 2009, 10:49 AM   #22
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W View Post
Thanks Mike,
not wanting to hijack the thread but can you expand on usually?
I haven't really compared enough images to add much. There have been times when I've thought the results from PhP were better, though.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 8th November 2009, 11:11 AM   #23
John W

John W is on a distinguished road

Thanks again Mike
Old 9th November 2009, 12:30 AM   #24
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
I have only used it to stitch horizontal panorama, but if memory serves me right (and I can't confirm this just at the moment), there is a tutorial in the manual that uses what is effectively a 3x5
Both PnP and 3S will stitch pictures that overlap regardless of which bits overlap, top, bottom, side or corners. This is evident in some of the samples provided, and confirmed by my own experiences.
Thanks, Ali and Geoff. I remember there was a sample using the Trent Building, and I know the sections weren't in a straight line, but I couldn't have told you that it involved multiple rows of images.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 9th November 2009, 12:41 AM   #25
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Hmmm. A potential weekend project.
The WeekEnd Project isn't going to happen.

Among other time-demands, I'm preparing for a hurricane due to a fairly good possibility of Tropical Depression / Tropical Storm / Hurricane IDA, or it's edge-effects, being here from about Monday Afternoon thru Wednesday night.

But from reading other posts in this thread, it seems that it has been verified PanoPlus can do 2D stitching, so the WEP isn't needed.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 7th December 2009, 06:43 PM   #26
JimW

JimW is on a distinguished road

I tried using Roxio's Panorama software that comes with their EMC 2010 suite and the result was horrible. In fact you have to manually drag pieces on top of each other for a best fit.
I didn't spend all day trying to figure it out but the finished photo was disappointing. (two gates)
Not my idea on how this type of programme should work.
Using SS&S the same photos came together to create a much better Panorama and the software handled everything and now I understand how the photos come together I will have a better idea on the angles etc for the photos.
A very useful tool for the box I think?
The photos were then resized but the difference is obvious. (have a look)

Jim W
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pamorama_emc [1280x768].jpg
Views:	107
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	7409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panorama_SSandS [1280x768].jpg
Views:	105
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	7410  
Old 29th August 2011, 12:40 PM   #27
mrawlin3

mrawlin3 is on a distinguished road

Maybe I missed something, but I have recently used Panorama Plus to save some pictures that were larger than my scanner. I just made several overlapping scans and they came together beautifully. What makes SSS any better than what I already own?

Marta
Old 29th August 2011, 03:28 PM   #28
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawlin3 View Post
Maybe I missed something, but I have recently used Panorama Plus to save some pictures that were larger than my scanner. I just made several overlapping scans and they came together beautifully. What makes SSS any better than what I already own?
SSS is not "better" than PanoPlus. Instead SSS is "different" than PanoPlus. But PanoPlus and SSS are similar.

PanoPlus is designed to assemble multiple photos of scenes that were taken with the camera in one position, and rotated. PanoPlus then stitches the images together, and does corrections to the images to minimize distortions due to the camera being rotated around a single axis as it shot each photo.

SSS is designed to assemble multiple photos (scans) of documents that were taken with the "camera" in multiple positions - moved "sideways" some distance for each photo. (Although the "document" is being moved to a different position on the scanner's bed, the effect is the same as though the camera was being moved sideways to a different position.)

Serif explains it this way in one of the SSS pages...
Quote:
For accuracy, Scan, Stitch & Share is optimised to handle printed text and images and, unlike photo stitching software, will create a flat image without curvature – a common feature of photo panoramas.
For example, place a hard-backed book on the scanner, and the pages will lay flat at the outer edges, but "curl" inwards near the spine. SSS is said to remove the "curl" so that the scanned pages appear to lay flat from edge to center.

Clear as mud.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 29th August 2011, 05:09 PM   #29
mrawlin3

mrawlin3 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the clarification Jim. You explained it perfectly for me. I guess I could have used SSS recently when I was sharing part of my sister's 1964 high school yearbook. I did get that curl at the spine of the book!

Marta