Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > Scan, Stitch & Share

Notices

Scan, Stitch & Share Questions about using Scan, Stitch & Share for scanning and assembling large documents

Old 27th January 2011, 11:22 PM   #1
biba.doa

biba.doa is on a distinguished road
Default Scanner compatibility

I am interested in getting this software to stitch together old historical documents. As these are generally in books, I am going to invest in a portable handheld scanner. One thing I am worried about is that it says on the software that it must be a TWAIN/WIA compatible scanner. The one I was thinking of getting is not. As I will be scanning to a sd card anyway and just using the software to stitch, would if matter that it wasn't TWAIN/WIA compatible?

Thanks for any advice and apologies if it is a silly question, I don't really understand the terminology!
Old 27th January 2011, 11:27 PM   #2
Ken Cope
Expert

Ken Cope is just really niceKen Cope is just really nice
Default Re: Scanner compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by biba.doa View Post
As I will be scanning to a sd card anyway and just using the software to stitch, would if matter that it wasn't TWAIN/WIA compatible?

Thanks for any advice and apologies if it is a silly question, I don't really understand the terminology!
Hi biba, welcome to the forums.

Scan Stitch and share can import images, not just scans, so images stored on an SD card will import, no problem. What I would advise though is to ensure around a 25% overlap between scans to enable the stitching to produce best results.

Hope this helps.

Windows 10 64bit AMD A10-6700 APU AMD Radeon HD8670D + R7 240 2GB Dual Graphics 16GB DDR3 Ram
Old 27th January 2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by biba.doa View Post
I am interested in getting this software to stitch together old historical documents. As these are generally in books, I am going to invest in a portable handheld scanner. One thing I am worried about is that it says on the software that it must be a TWAIN/WIA compatible scanner. The one I was thinking of getting is not. As I will be scanning to a sd card anyway and just using the software to stitch, would if matter that it wasn't TWAIN/WIA compatible?
Before you invest in a handhheld scanner, these might help...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_scanner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_scanning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handheld_scanner

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 28th January 2011, 05:33 PM   #4
biba.doa

biba.doa is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick replies!

I am glad that the compatibility will not be an issue, Ken.

And thanks Jim for the information on book scanning. A planetary scanner would be brilliant but unfortunately out of my price range, so I think I will try the handheld scanner.
Old 17th June 2011, 05:00 PM   #5
kph

kph is on a distinguished road

Hallo, ist it possible to use the Scanner Brother MFC 5840 CN with DrawPlus x4? The german seller an supporter Avanquest answerd only, that DrawPlus 4X accepts not each scanner
Old 18th June 2011, 03:16 AM   #6
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph View Post
Hallo, ist it possible to use the Scanner Brother MFC 5840 CN with DrawPlus x4? The german seller an supporter Avanquest answerd only, that DrawPlus 4X accepts not each scanner
Hi and welcome to the Serif forums.

Please post your question in the DrawPlus forum above.
Old 1st August 2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Waris

Waris is on a distinguished road

Hi Biba.doa,

I work with large charts, family trees and do a lot of scanning and recovery of old historical photos and such.

You will not be able to obtain as good a result from a hand scanner than a flatbed scanner.

With the latest models which are dirt cheap such as the Canon Lide series [less than 100USD] which will allow you to adjust the settings such as:

Auto Tone
Curves
Unsharp Mask
Descreen
Reduce Dust & Scratches
Fading Correction
Grain Correction
Backlight Correction [very important when the front of the pic is dark]
Book Gutter Correction
300dpi to 1200 dpi scanning

Most flatbed scanner comes with a Photo Editor which you can import into and work to trim and size the scanned photo before saving to be stitched.

Understand this, stitching software even Serif will stitch only pictures of the same scene taken in overlapping sequence. It will not stitch different scenes.