Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > Scan, Stitch & Share

Notices

Scan, Stitch & Share Questions about using Scan, Stitch & Share for scanning and assembling large documents

Old 13th January 2011, 09:05 PM   #1
Aylarja

Aylarja is on a distinguished road
Default How Does S3 Compare to Windows Live Photo Gallery, Photoshop Elements for Stitching?

I have a number of documents either scanned or digitally photographed in multiple passes. Sometimes WLPG does a good job of merging the pieces into a single, finished document. Sometimes it is unable to perform a stitch. I have also used PSE 8, but that almost always requires a lot of manual intervention.

Has anyone used either Windows Live Photo Gallery or Photoshop Elements to perform stitching who also uses S3 and can offer a comparison of the following?

* Stitch quality (invisibility of seams, ability to work with different angles or focal lengths, ability to remove curvature)
* Ability to work with large scans (300 dpi) or digital photos (e.g., 8 megapixels)

Also, I see that Panorama Plus from Serif similarly performs stitching, but it seems much more clearly intended for creating photographic panoramas, whereas Scan, Stitch & Share seems more clearly intended for document stitching. My primary interest is in document stitching, but seeing that both programs perform a similar function, it seems worth asking.

If S3 outperforms the other tools I have mentioned, I will consider it. But if not, I guess that explains why this forum is so quiet.

Thanks.

Last edited by Aylarja; 14th January 2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Added question regarding Serif Panorama Plus
Old 15th January 2011, 03:35 PM   #2
stargazey
Advanced Member

stargazey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How Does S3 Compare to Windows Live Photo Gallery, Photoshop Elements for Stitchi

I don't use S3 myself, but Microsoft ICE is very good for stiching both photos and documents. It's free, so why not give it a go and see if it does what you want!
(http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...roups/ivm/ICE/)
Old 15th January 2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How Does S3 Compare to Windows Live Photo Gallery, Photoshop Elements for Stitchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylarja View Post
If S3 outperforms the other tools I have mentioned, I will consider it. But if not, I guess that explains why this forum is so quiet.
On the other hand, maybe it is so quiet because SSS works so well nobody has problems or complaints. That is certainly my experience, but I cannot answer your question as I have no nexperience of the other applications you mention, and see no need to try them.

Geoff
Old 15th January 2011, 10:31 PM   #4
Aylarja

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazey View Post
I don't use S3 myself, but Microsoft ICE is very good for stiching both photos and documents. It's free, so why not give it a go and see if it does what you want!
Thanks for the reply. In fact, I have used Microsoft ICE in addition to Windows Live Photo Gallery (which I believe uses the same technology under the hood, but lacks some of ICE's manual control). Sometimes it does work well, but sometimes, as with WLPG, it is unable to create a stitch even though the overlap between images would seem sufficient.
Old 15th January 2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Aylarja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
On the other hand, maybe it is so quiet because SSS works so well nobody has problems or complaints. That is certainly my experience, but I cannot answer your question as I have no nexperience of the other applications you mention, and see no need to try them.
Geoff, you may well be right about that. Unfortunately, I can find little information about S3 on the web beyond what is on Serif's site. The current asking price of $30 isn't much, but if it is no more capable than tools I have already paid for or can obtain for free, I would rather keep my $30.

Perhaps you can answer another question I have about S3: the Serif description states:
Quote:
Scan, Stitch & Share is optimised to handle printed text and images and, unlike photo stitching software, will create a flat image without curvature.
In some cases, I have scanned or photographed documents that are in large, bound volumes, resulting in some bowing or curvature in the image. Is S3 able to correct that to create a fully flat, square image? I am not sure if I am understanding the stated claim correctly.

Also, do you know whether it is able to handle multiple camera images at high resolution (e.g., 6-8 megapixels)? A post elsewhere in this forum seemed to indicate that it could not, although I would find that surprising so long as the computer performing the task has enough RAM and hard disk storage available.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 16th January 2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylarja View Post
Geoff, you may well be right about that. Unfortunately, I can find little information about S3 on the web beyond what is on Serif's site. The current asking price of $30 isn't much, but if it is no more capable than tools I have already paid for or can obtain for free, I would rather keep my $30.

Perhaps you can answer another question I have about S3: the Serif description states: In some cases, I have scanned or photographed documents that are in large, bound volumes, resulting in some bowing or curvature in the image. Is S3 able to correct that to create a fully flat, square image? I am not sure if I am understanding the stated claim correctly.

Also, do you know whether it is able to handle multiple camera images at high resolution (e.g., 6-8 megapixels)? A post elsewhere in this forum seemed to indicate that it could not, although I would find that surprising so long as the computer performing the task has enough RAM and hard disk storage available.

Thanks for your reply.
I think SSS is intended to work with scanned items rather than photos. I have only used it to scan large posters, pamphlets and maps, so all the scans have been flat. PanoramaPlus is probably better for stitching photos.

The attached large poster (original some 22" wide) took about a dozen scans. I can't see the joins. The record still stands, by the way.

Geoff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24hourrecordX3small.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	18587  
Old 17th January 2011, 11:39 AM   #7
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

Without your specific files to work with, it's not really possible to say whether Scan, Stitch & Share would be better for your needs than the programs you've already tried. All Serif software comes with a money back guarantee so I'd suggest you call our Sales team to get a copy, confirm with them what your MBG period is and give the program a go. If it doesn't meet your needs, you can return it under the MBG terms.
Old 17th January 2011, 11:19 PM   #8
grovesie

grovesie has much to be proud ofgrovesie has much to be proud ofgrovesie has much to be proud of

I've never used any of the other software mentioned, and bought SSS for an artists website I was creating. Most of the artwork was too large for an A4 scanner, so I scanned it in parts and put it into SSS. The results were perfect and seamless, the artist was well chuffed with what I had done.

I've also used it to stitch 5 x 8mb photo's together to make a panorama shot of a seaside town taken from the beach.

I think it's first rate.

Steve