Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 23rd October 2013, 07:35 AM   #221
chrsbrss

chrsbrss is infamous around these parts
Default Re: MoviePlus X7 Wishlist

I know I'm beating a dead horse when I suggest this, and I'm truly 'reaching for the stars' as well, but I'm going to ask for it anyway - this is a 'wish list' isn't it?

One thing that I would love to see is Serif to put out some of their software for Ubuntu.... I prefer Ubuntu over Microsoft, it would be great to see more commercial software being put out for this OS.... and to be real pompous about it, I find it hard to believe that the greatest software company in the world, with the greatest OS in the world, both residing on that same itty bitty island out in the Atlantic don't work together....

I'm just sayin'
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:44 AM   #222
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsbrss View Post
I know I'm beating a dead horse when I suggest this, and I'm truly 'reaching for the stars' as well, but I'm going to ask for it anyway - this is a 'wish list' isn't it?

One thing that I would love to see is Serif to put out some of their software for Ubuntu.... I prefer Ubuntu over Microsoft, it would be great to see more commercial software being put out for this OS.... and to be real pompous about it, I find it hard to believe that the greatest software company in the world, with the greatest OS in the world, both residing on that same itty bitty island out in the Atlantic don't work together....

I'm just sayin'
And which itty bitty island would that be? I don't think your wishlist request needs to take this patronising tone, do you?

Old 23rd October 2013, 06:19 PM   #223
chrsbrss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
And which itty bitty island would that be? I don't think your wishlist request needs to take this patronising tone, do you?
I sincerely apologize for any offence that I created with that post. I truly felt that it would be taken with the tongue in cheek humor that it was intended.

I will put up another posting regarding this issue more directly addressing why I feel that it would be beneficial for the two that would be less offensive and more direct.
Old 23rd October 2013, 06:30 PM   #224
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsbrss View Post
I sincerely apologize for any offence that I created with that post. I truly felt that it would be taken with the tongue in cheek humor that it was intended.

I will put up another posting regarding this issue more directly addressing why I feel that it would be beneficial for the two that would be less offensive and more direct.
Thank you.

Old 23rd October 2013, 08:27 PM   #225
chrsbrss

I would like to see Serif putting out their software compatible with Ubuntu, I think that it would be beneficial to both Canonical as well as Serif to do so, ironically for what I see as the same reasons, because it has been my observation (as well as personal experience and attitude) that both has a fiercely loyal following, which both companies richly deserve due to their quality.

Serif is in many ways comparable to Adobe which has a strong market share here in the US, it is the standard by which almost all software in the Television industry is compared, yet Serif has their own version of nearly all of them which is capable of doing the vast majority of the work that Adobe does. I've used both, and admittedly several aspects of Adobe is easier to perform on Adobe software than it is on Serif, not so much to justify the price that Adobe demands for it's software, and there is no doubt in my mind that Serif is working on improving it's software to make those duties easier to perform just from what I've seen comparing MvP x3 to x6.

Ubuntu is a rising star in the Operating Systems game, they are providing a quality OS that is in much the same position, capable of performing the vast majority of duties that Microsoft Windows (the standard by which all OS's are compared to) performs, yet in my opinion more stable, reliable and dependable than what Microsoft is capable of. When I started using Ubuntu it was because I was long getting frustrated by viruses, long boot loading times, software getting installed on my computer without my knowledge and permission and frustration with it that I began to look at other viable alternatives. Apple was out of the question because I could not justify spending that much money on a computer thereby making Linux by default the only real alternative available which is how I stumbled upon Ubuntu. I have seen great strives of improvement in their OS over the course of the past five years which has long made me a supporter. My biggest complaint about Ubuntu is that they have no real (or up until Red Shark/Lightworks anyway) video editing software that I consider capable of performing the duties that I need.

Both of these companies are relatively close to each other (roughly three hours depending on traffic) which in my view makes them capable of collaborating with each other quite feasible, both have a fiercely loyal following and I personally can't help but wonder just exactly how much crossover there is between the two. If it's huge and Serif does make it's software available for use on Ubuntu, they won't loose any customers because, but would rather cement it's place with established customers of both, if it's not, then Ubuntu users, such as myself, who are looking for viable software that is easy to use as well as affordable will 'take a look at it' just as I did so many years ago, and with little doubt in my mind become just as loyal as so many of us Serif users have become ourselves. If we have any Serif users who are not Ubuntu users, they may just consider 'giving it a go' to see how it works and see how many problems that they eliminate from getting out of Microsoft, just as I have done (and I know others will attest to). If that's the case then the customer base with the two will actually grow thereby benefiting the both of them. I will tell you that I cringe every time I log onto Windows, but I do it for one reason and one reason only.... Serif. I seriously doubt if I'm alone in this.

I see a potential HUGE market here in the United States for a collaborating effort between Serif and Canonical, Independent film makers, low power/budget TV stations, Internet stations, public access stations and the such. To outfit a computer with Ubuntu (free with no tech support, even with tech support is still less than Microsoft) with All of Serif's catalog (Still considerably less than just Adobe Premier) with similar interfaces and low learning curve could arguably make the collaboration a powerful force to contend with. Although not a computer programmer, I have been told that it would take very little effort to make the needed changes to permit any software to run on any Operating system, but even if it did I would refer to the proximity of Serif to Canonical to make it as little of an issue as say Microsoft to collaborate with Serif, or Adobe to collaborate with Ubuntu. Frankly it makes it less of an issue as Microsoft Collaborating with Adobe hence my remark on a previous posting regarding this issue.

This opinion is not just a passing thought, but due to major agonizing on my part. I'm working with my local Public Broadcasting Station with doing a project for broadcast, at the same time I am also putting together a plan with my local Church regarding putting a program on the local Public Access station and on a local Christian TV station here where I live. Some of the equipment I will need to pay for out of my own pocket (Video Editing Software and Computer) capable of performing the Job. It pains me to think that I will need to go with Microsoft because of not only my experiences with them, but the local station has also had issues that has caused frustration as well. I've searched for over two years to find a suitable NLE that I could use on Ubuntu to no avail (Lightworks is working on one which looks promising) but the truth is I don't want to give up my association with Serif. Clearly, I will need to go at this time with Windows in which case I will be using Serif, but if I find a viable solution to my NLE that would permit me to leave Windows behind, I will do it.
Old 6th November 2013, 06:45 PM   #226
Noddy656

Noddy656 is on a distinguished road

I think it would enhance MP if the menu facilities were improved to enable the inclusion of chapter button icons which have been designed and created in the likes of DrawPlus or even PagePlus that could be used to replace the buttons currently generated.
Old 18th November 2013, 01:52 AM   #227
Speedbird

Speedbird is on a distinguished road

I use a Fuji Real 3D W3 for 3D movies and 3D stills. It would be ideal for me if the next update were to provide the inclusion and possibly some manipulation of 3D movies (.MjpegAVI files) together with 3D stills (.mpo files).
Old 1st December 2013, 10:26 AM   #228
Eugene Rohland

Eugene Rohland is on a distinguished road

"....My biggest complaint about Ubuntu is that they have no real (or up until Red Shark/Lightworks anyway) video editing software that I consider capable of performing the duties that I need...."

I second your remark. In addition, it is not about being freeware, it is about a stable, safe working platform. Personally, I would pay even more for a Ubuntu version of MVP.
Old 20th March 2014, 07:35 AM   #229
chrsbrss

Support for editing mkv. videos would also be awesome to have.
Old 12th April 2014, 11:39 AM   #230
FastF

FastF is on a distinguished road

I request you raise (or even better remove) the bitrate limitation you have for AVCHD and MP4 files. MPX6 makes me lose too much quality as the following examples show:
- MPX6 for MP4 has a 20Mbps limit, whereas the common GoPro 3 and 3+ cameras record at 30Mbps.
- MPX6 for AVCHD has a 17Mbps limit, whereas common camcorders such as my Panasonic HDC-TM900 records at 28Mbps.
Can you please raise the limit or better don't have a limit at all?

You have great simple to use software and it would be a pity having to go elsewhere to stop losing quality!
Old 12th April 2014, 03:20 PM   #231
littlefish

littlefish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF View Post
I request you raise (or even better remove) the bitrate limitation you have for AVCHD and MP4 files. MPX6 makes me lose too much quality as the following examples show:
- MPX6 for MP4 has a 20Mbps limit, whereas the common GoPro 3 and 3+ cameras record at 30Mbps.
- MPX6 for AVCHD has a 17Mbps limit, whereas common camcorders such as my Panasonic HDC-TM900 records at 28Mbps.
Can you please raise the limit or better don't have a limit at all?

You have great simple to use software and it would be a pity having to go elsewhere to stop losing quality!
Seconded. I too have a Panasonic HD camcorder and would appreciate a higher bitrate. Ta.