Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > Digital Scrapbook Artist

Notices

Digital Scrapbook Artist Digital Scrapbooking Software

Old 2nd February 2010, 12:19 AM   #41
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Serif launches Digital Scrapbook Artist 2!

Hi Frank,

DSA is no different from other Serif titles in this respect. You can either uninstall version 1.x first or leave it in place, as you wish. If you install version 2 and subsequently uninstall the old version you may find that you need to run a 'Repair' on the new installation.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:51 AM   #42
M@tto

M@tto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Hi Frank,

DSA is no different from other Serif titles in this respect. You can either uninstall version 1.x first or leave it in place, as you wish. If you install version 2 and subsequently uninstall the old version you may find that you need to run a 'Repair' on the new installation.

Alfred
Thank you Alfred. I'm working on abt 20 projects at the moment and not getting anywhere very fast!
Old 2nd February 2010, 02:06 PM   #43
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Hi Frank,

Alfred
Alfred

My experience was that DSA2 would not install until I uninstalled DSA1. Just went through that last night and this morning. Unusual for a Serif app, I thought.
Old 2nd February 2010, 02:08 PM   #44
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Alfred

My experience was that DSA2 would not install until I uninstalled DSA1. Just went through that last night and this morning. Unusual for a Serif app, I thought.

Yes, quite! Fluke? Or, has Serif decided to force prior versions off one's computer? Certainly would make assisting on the forums difficult.

Lon "versions back to 1812" in California
Old 2nd February 2010, 02:43 PM   #45
Mark Ingram
Serif Europe Limited

Mark Ingram is on a distinguished road

I can confirm that isn't the intention and you should be able to have DSA1 & DSA2 live alongside each other peacefully.
Did you get any error messages when trying to install DSA2 Marilyn?

Mark Ingram
DrawPlus and CraftArtist Project Manager

Reporting Software Issues To Serif
Old 2nd February 2010, 02:45 PM   #46
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Hiya Mark

Yes, I did. WIN Installer error 1638.
Old 2nd February 2010, 02:49 PM   #47
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ingram View Post
I can confirm that isn't the intention and you should be able to have DSA1 & DSA2 live alongside each other peacefully.
Good to hear that, Mark! ...especially in light of the posters who indicate that they can't install (WPX4, for instance) without the previous version residing on their PC.

Lon in California
Old 2nd February 2010, 02:54 PM   #48
Big Mike

Big Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ingram View Post
I have also both releases on my computer with no problem as there are different repertories and different shortcuts!
(same for PagePlus 11, X3 and X4)

My only problem is no answer from Serif for having paid full fare for DSA 2 instead of half price upgrade!
Old 2nd February 2010, 02:56 PM   #49
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
I have also both releases on my computer with no problem as there are different repertories and different shortcuts!
(same for PagePlus 11, X3 and X4)

My only problem is no answer from Serif for having paid full fare for DSA 2 instead of half price upgrade!
BIg Mike

I have four versions of WebPlus, two or three of PagePlus, two PhotoPlus and DP installed and all happily doing their own thing. DSA2.0 is the first time I've had to uninstall an earlier version.
Old 2nd February 2010, 03:55 PM   #50
MrsPeel

MrsPeel is on a distinguished road

excuse my technologycal ignorance but....
what is the point of having an old version of a program?
surely it occupies memory, space in the computer that is btter if the old program is not there?
I haven't uninstalled DSA1 because I want to read about the effects and how to copy them into DSA 2, but was thinking of uninstalling it... I mean, if one doesn't use it, is there a reason to have it there?
Old 2nd February 2010, 05:22 PM   #51
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPeel View Post
surely it occupies memory, space in the computer that is btter if the old program is not there?
I haven't uninstalled DSA1 because I want to read about the effects and how to copy them into DSA 2, but was thinking of uninstalling it... I mean, if one doesn't use it, is there a reason to have it there?
It is useful if you want to help others on this forum who are having a problem with an older version. Some of the programs have really nice templates in them which you don't get with later versions and it is handy to be able to use them (one of those times when you say "Now I know I saw that somewhere!"
Old 2nd February 2010, 07:53 PM   #52
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPeel View Post
It is useful if you want to help others on this forum who are having a problem with an older version.
I have now uninstalled DSA1 and installed DSA Compact in its place for that very reason. (DSA1.x and DSA Compact cannot be installed on the same computer, but either one will happily coexist with DSA2.)

To keep the DSA 1 effects I went to my %AppData%\Serif\Scrapbook\1.0 folder, renamed the 'InstantEffects' subfolder to DSA1 and copied it to %AppData%\Serif\Scrapbook\2.0\InstantEffects (so I now have the DSA1 effects in a subfolder at %AppData%\Serif\Scrapbook\2.0\InstantEffects\DSA1). On my Effects tab in DSA2 there is now a folder named DSA1, and when I expand that folder I see all the categories from the older version of the program.

Alfred

Last edited by AlfredP; 12th March 2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Improved clarity (I hope!)
Old 11th February 2010, 09:48 PM   #53
TeachYourselfSinging

TeachYourselfSinging is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone
What digikits come with DS 2? If I have the free downloadable version of Scrapbook Artist and many other Serif products does that qualify me for an upgrade price on DS2 and what is the upgrade price?
Is the upgrade from Serif or do you have to order from Daisy?
Does anyone offer free DigiKits? And in DS2, do you make your own DigiKits?
Thanks
Timothy Kelly
Teach Yourself Singing
Old 11th February 2010, 10:56 PM   #54
AlfredP
Guru

Hi Tim,

It looks as though the upgrade price for DSA2 is only available for owners of DSA1. DSA Compact, the free version, offers you the opportunity to upgrade to DSA1: the headline price seems to be the same — at least in the UK — as the full price of DSA2, but it comes with a DaisyTrail voucher for 25 GBP (or 40 USD, I believe). I think you can only buy the upgrade from DaisyTrail (DT) but you can buy the full version from either Serif or DT.

There are regular offerings of free stuff for DaisyTrail members, and a few DT members give away (and were recently given the go-ahead to sell) kits in Digikit form: you can make your own Digikits in either of the full versions of DSA. Images from other sources can be brought into DSA as "photos" and converted into backgrounds, embellishments, frames, etc.

Alfred
Old 12th February 2010, 12:02 AM   #55
TeachYourselfSinging

Hi All Alfred,
OK, thanks for the information.
Happy Scrapbooks
Timothy Kelly
Teach Yourself Singing
Old 12th February 2010, 12:07 AM   #56
AlfredP
Guru

You're welcome, Tim. I forgot to point you to this page which tells you, inter alia, what Digikits come with the latest version of the program.

Alfred
Old 12th February 2010, 12:46 AM   #57
TeachYourselfSinging

Hi Alfred,
Ok, thanks. First I am going to see if the free DigiKits will work with the free version of Scrapbook Artist. By downloading a couple of those.
Happy Day
Timothy Kelly
Teach Yourself Singing
Old 12th February 2010, 04:57 PM   #58
MrsPeel

MrsPeel is on a distinguished road

Hi Timothy

There is no much I can add to what Alfred here wisely said, but one thing I can assure you is that with the free version you have a much limited ratio of what you can do, create, compose....
the full versions are amazing, already DSA1 was a mind blast for me, and DSA 2 is even more complete....

the price is very, very reasonable....
even at full price.
I bought a few other things from Serif when I bought DSA1, so I got the discount through buying a couple of other things (a program and a device) but still, I m sure the price is really, really good for what I know DSA can do, either of the full versions.
There are LOTS of designers in the web that give stuff (Full kits) away.
If you buy any of the DSA full versions, not only you will have access to a lot of kits that come with the versions (and not available for the free , compact version) but also will be able to use stuff from other designers, trust me, there is a huge amount of people out there giving out free kits, but what you can do with the full versions is worth paying for
Old 12th February 2010, 07:07 PM   #59
TeachYourselfSinging

Hello Everyone, Mrs Peel
I downloaded and installed all the free digikits from Daisy. And then experimental with some of them. I am enjoying the free version. Even though it keeps showing me update offers that expired months ago. Serif and Dairy should update that feature, if they have not done so in a free version patch.
I might just purchase the music digikit and use the free version of DS. Then upgrade later. For a non artist like myself with no free hand drawing or painting skills. DSA2 would be usefull.
My beginning guitar website actually has a scrapbook type layout.
www.guitarlandguitarworkshops. net
I need to update it for IE 8 and the latest versions of FireFox. One of the pages is not displaying correctly under the new browser versions. I could use DSA to update the website by creating some more scrapbook type designs and transferring that to other Serif programs, then up to the web.
Happy Scrapbooks
Timothy Kelly
Teach Yourself Singing
Old 13th February 2010, 06:06 PM   #60
TeachYourselfSinging

Hi Everyone.
I purchased the Name That Tune digikit since it is not included in DSA2. Been reading in the free version of DS, the differences between the free version and DSA2.
Still waiting for Serif to get back to me about if I can use my rebate voucher on DPX3.
In DSA2, how do you make a DigiKit?
How do you import DSA creations into PP or WP?
Happy Weekend
Timothy Kelly