Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 23rd May 2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Mick
Expert

Mick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud of
Default PLEASE READ - WebPlus Thread Posting

With over 20,000 members and over a quarter of a million posts in the Webplus thread alone, since the release of Webplus X5, it seems the basics have been lost with regards to posting for help in the forum.

This maybe down to attracting more members due to the new version, who have not yet got to grips with the correct format in posting and over the last few weeks, we have seen a nose dive in the condition of posts that have been made to this forum.

To all posters, please make sure when you are adding a new thread and looking for help, you use both a meaningful title - "Please help" does not provide enough information to any user looking at the title of your thread and it may even get ignored, adding something like "Error 500 when I try to upload" will let everyone know your problem and maybe even attract a user who has suffered the same problems and may post a solution within minutes of viewing your request.

Also and this is equally as important, at the side of the title box, you have a header name of "Product Version" and a drop down box to choose any version of webplus.

You have taken the time to type in your topic title, so clicking this drop down box and choosing "WebPlus X4" or "WebPlus X5" etc will only take seconds to do, and will also help the forum guru's to determine whether or not they have the knowledge base to help with the version you are using. It will also save them the time, going through every thread posted without a product version chosen, only to find they can not help with that particular version of Webplus.

In a nutshell guy's and gal's, it's simple:

HELP US TO HELP YOU - Thanks for taking the time to read this and good luck with future posting and the solutions you are looking for.

Intel Core i7 980X 3.60GHz - 8Gig DDR3 PC3 - Windows 8.1 - WPX8 16.0.4.32 - DPX8 14.0.1.21 - PPX9 19.0.0.14
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:04 PM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: PLEASE READ - WebPlus Thread Posting

To follow Mick's impassionate plea to Help Us Help You....

Please read this thread by Serif's Sarah on the subject of using this forum.

http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=89708
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Bob Keen

Bob Keen is on a distinguished road

Well said Mick. It is very frustrating when the subject is not discernible from the thread title.
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Agreed don't you just hate it when people use CAPS LOCK in the thread title to draw attention to their thread?

Unfortunately, this site doesn't allow users to edit threads to change the title or add the product version afterwards if they forget to select it on creating the thread.
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:13 PM   #5
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Keen View Post
Well said Mick. It is very frustrating when the subject is not discernible from the thread title.
It's aggravating when the OP is trying to be cute in titling the thread.

Abundant creativity is truly appreciated when we view your site, however.
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:35 PM   #6
damsky.zg

Location: Land of thousend island -- -- Zg - somewhere on hill
damsky.zg has a spectacular aura about

It will be also good idea to point out that ALL members use search http://forums.serif.com/search.php just to keep no. of threads smaller but efficient.
but this is only me ...
damsky.zg
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:52 PM   #7
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
Unfortunately, this site doesn't allow users to edit threads to change the title or add the product version afterwards if they forget to select it on creating the thread.
The titles and versions are changed occasionally. I believe the Serif staff can do it and perhaps a few of the Mods.
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:55 PM   #8
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by damsky.zg View Post
It will be also good idea to point out that ALL members use search http://forums.serif.com/search.php just to keep no. of threads smaller but efficient.
but this is only me ...
damsky.zg
Remember when SWR was down and when Captcha became compulsory?

There were dozens of threads with almost identical titles splattered here. If they can't be bothered to search the page directly in front of their eyes they are unlikely to make use of the search function.
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by damsky.zg View Post
but this is only me ...
damsky.zg
It's sometime easier to use Google to find the threads than the forum search.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:01 PM   #10
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc212 View Post
Remember when SWR was down and when Captcha became compulsory?

There were dozens of threads with almost identical titles splattered here. If they can't be bothered to search the page directly in front of their eyes they are unlikely to make use of the search function.
Or even browse through the thread titles started that day to see if there were any similar issues.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:01 PM   #11
Andy H

Andy H is on a distinguished road

Whilst I agrree with what was typed, unless this is made into a sticky, then in a day or so it will be on page two or three and be lost amongst all the other posts for anyone seeking help.

I do have some sympathy for new users, mostly they are frustrated by the problem that they need help with and just want to post their problem, and obviously I was new once and certainly got things wrong my posts, - heck - I still do.

Anyway as I say - could something like this (maybe just a posting guidelines) not be made into a sticky, and even better if it was different colour, many forums have a seperate topic simply called posting guidelines that gives help before posting, and if someone gets it wrong they are simply politely directed to the guidelines for future posts.

Andy
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:03 PM   #12
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
Whilst I agrree with what was typed, unless this is made into a sticky, then in a day or so it will be on page two or three and be lost amongst all the other posts for anyone seeking help.

I do have some sympathy for new users, mostly they are frustrated by the problem that they need help with and just want to post their problem, and obviously I was new once and certainly got things wrong my posts, - heck - I still do.

Anyway as I say - could something like this (maybe just a posting guidelines) not be made into a sticky, and even better if it was different colour, many forums have a seperate topic simply called posting guidelines that gives help before posting, and if someone gets it wrong they are simply politely directed to the guidelines for future posts.

Andy

Hiya Andy H

There are forum posting guidelines as a sticky in the General forum.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:04 PM   #13
nfc212
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
It's sometime easier to use Google to find the threads than the forum search.
True, that Googlebot lurks around here like a cat watching a bird. I think about 10 mins is the fastest I've seen a thread from here pop up in the Google results.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
True, that Googlebot lurks around here like a cat watching a bird. I think about 10 mins is the fastest I've seen a thread from here pop up in the Google results.
Wrong, seconds.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:08 PM   #15
nfc212
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Hiya Andy H

There are forum posting guidelines as a sticky in the General forum.
Many may not know that it is there. I've been on some forums where it is required to read through the posting guidelines after registration before you can proceed to the forum. You need to check a box at the end to acknowledge that you have read them.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:09 PM   #16
Andy H

Andy H is on a distinguished road

Hi Marylin.

good point - I hadn't noticed, but the ones I was thinking of are a completely separate topic, i.e not included inside another topic, I would doubt anyone new would look in the general section first before going to the forum they require.

Hope you are well

Andy
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:11 PM   #17
nfc212
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Wrong, seconds.
Hmm, that quick.

Seems a little strange that we've actually bothered to time this sort of thing.

However it is a good lesson in how Google loves forums and blogs.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:19 PM   #18
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Many may not know that it is there. I've been on some forums where it is required to read through the posting guidelines after registration before you can proceed to the forum. You need to check a box at the end to acknowledge that you have read them.
I think that would be a good thing to implement... providing Serif can screen for those with interest in WebPlus.

Of the 20,000 registered members of this forum about 2,000 are active. Some days it seems they ALL post in the WebPlus forum! LOL

The goal remains the same.... for WebPlus (Serif) users to help other WebPlus (Serif) users, quickly and efficiently.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:24 PM   #19
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

On the High-Logic forums, posts by new users have to be approved by a moderator before they get submitted. I am not sure if its five posts or only three, but its a low number.

That not only stops spammers in their tracks, but it helps us to remind new users before they start posting in the wrong forum, or with a meaningless thread title.

It would be great if that could be implemented here. It would probably mean less work for the mods as they don't have to edit or move troublesome threads later, and it takes only one click to approve a thread that needs no moderation.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:26 PM   #20
nfc212
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
I think that would be a good thing to implement... providing Serif can screen for those with interest in WebPlus.
I believe the guidelines are pretty much the same for each section except perhaps the General section.

Perhaps if there was a set of guidelines common across each section and then a sticky at the top of the first page in each product section detailing anything specific to that particular program.

Hmm, think Firefox is about to crash again.