Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 9th January 2011, 09:04 PM   #1
ravells

ravells is on a distinguished road
Default Some Brushes

I've made some brushes (mostly natural media) which people might find useful. The guide is attached, the Drawplus file (8.5mb download) can be found here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9sa3slf1ac8b3

Hope you find them useful!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brush Guide.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	18380  

Last edited by ravells; 10th January 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 9th January 2011, 09:06 PM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Some Brushes

Hi Ravells

that's very thoughtful of you....... many will benefit from your generosity, including Digital Scrapbooks 2 users.
Old 9th January 2011, 09:30 PM   #3
ravells

No worries. I thought it was time I gave something back to this wonderful community!
Old 9th January 2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Esoterika Apathy

Esoterika Apathy is on a distinguished road

ooo thank you kindly!
Old 9th January 2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Pat

Pat is on a distinguished road

Nice work, they look great!
Old 9th January 2011, 10:23 PM   #6
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravells View Post
No worries. I thought it was time I gave something back to this wonderful community!

sharing gets to be contagious around here.

The more users willing to support other users and provide some goodies, the better it is for us all.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:55 AM   #7
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I've made some brushes (mostly natural media) which people might find useful. The guide is attached, the Drawplus file (12.5mb download) can be found here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?veb4f6g9q8uncob

Hope you find them useful!
That's a very impressive collection, Ravells. Perhaps you could also zip up the brush files (*.sbg) and upload them so that users don't have to recreate each brush from the images in your .Dpp file.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 10th January 2011, 09:32 AM   #8
ravells

Thanks Alfred. Can you tell me where I can find the brush files? When I looked in Program Files (x86)/Serif/Drawplus/X4/Brushes, I could only find the default brushes there.

Cheers

Ravs
Old 10th January 2011, 10:10 AM   #9
MattP
Serif Europe Limited

MattP will become famous soon enough

That's brilliant Ravs! Thank you so much for this!!! I really like the sketchy line and vertical hatch brushes!

I've found over time that the easiest way to share brushes is actually just to make a drawing which contains simply one stroke from each brush. Save this document as a .dpp file and then share it with others - it contains all the brushes written in it.

If I open this .dpp file and look in the brushes tab, I can go to the 'Document' category from the dropdown at the top of the brushes tab. These are the brushes you've used in the document. I can now add these permanently to my DrawPlus installation by right-clicking each one and choosing 'Copy...' and choosing what name to give it and what folder to put it in

The alternative way is to go to Explorer and type into the address bar "%appdata%\Serif\DrawPlus\11.0\Brushes" (without the quotes) and press enter, find the folder that reflects the category you saved your brushes into and when you look inside it you'll see a number of .sbg files which are the brush files themselves. You can zip these up and share the zip file if you'd find that easier?

Thanks again,
Matt
Old 10th January 2011, 10:26 AM   #10
ravells

Oh wow, I never knew about the document drop down, that makes life a lot easier! (much easier than looking in the %appdata% file (which I can't find in windows 7 - odd) Just one question though, how do I make sure that I've just put in 1 stroke without any part repeats?
Old 10th January 2011, 11:08 AM   #11
MattP
Serif Europe Limited

It's absolutely fine to use it more than once - it'll only appear as just one brush in the 'document' section. I just meant that you didn't need to do anything other than draw a quick stroke with it - sorry for any confusion
Old 10th January 2011, 11:18 AM   #12
ravells

Ah Gotcha....sorry I was being thick! (as usual!). All done now with brushes rather than the images.

Last edited by ravells; 10th January 2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10th January 2011, 02:26 PM   #13
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP View Post
I've found over time that the easiest way to share brushes is actually just to make a drawing which contains simply one stroke from each brush.
Much easier than hunting for files in %AppData%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP View Post
The alternative way is to go to Explorer and type into the address bar "%appdata%\Serif\DrawPlus\11.0\Brushes" (without the quotes) and press enter, find the folder that reflects the category you saved your brushes into and when you look inside it you'll see a number of .sbg files which are the brush files themselves. You can zip these up and share the zip file if you'd find that easier?
I only mentioned that way of doing things because I'm so lazy!

Quote:
All done now with brushes rather than the images.
That's great, Ravs. And I like the new additions — especially the trees!

Alfred
Old 10th January 2011, 02:42 PM   #14
MattP
Serif Europe Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
I only mentioned that way of doing things because I'm so lazy!
I used to advise people to do it that way too - but I think someone else pointed it out to me that you could just share them in the documents themselves - and I couldn't believe how much more straightforward it was! Ooops!
Old 11th January 2011, 11:10 AM   #15
ravells

Ah cool, the %app data% method is a good way of reorganising custom brushes. Brilliant!
Old 11th January 2011, 06:42 PM   #16
Esoterika Apathy

Talking Re: Some Brushes

Ravells how did you do this? its fabulous and then make it so it just copy's straight into the brushes?
pretty please will you tell me am desperate to have a go
Old 11th January 2011, 07:13 PM   #17
ravells

Hi Esoterika!

The hardest part is to make sure the end of the brush matches up with the start so you get a continuous line when they are stitched together. I'm not always successful though.

For the stroke brushes I drew the lines with a ruler on blank paper (it's worth using different kinds of paper, and media - I used loo paper and an ink pen for the 'bleeding ink' line! Make sure that the lines begin and end on the ruler (even if they wiggle in between). I then scanned the lines and opened them in photoshop, doubled the size of the canvas horizontally and used the 'offset' filter (PhotoPlus probably has one too) and the clone stamp tool to make sure that the start and the end of the lines matched properly. Sometimes I would have to rotate the line a little to make sure that the start and end of the lines were perfectly horizontally aligned (I used a guide to make sure). Save the line in Photoshop and open in Drawplus and then save again as an 8bit png with transparency turned off (although for photobrushes you can use 32 bit .pngs with transparency). Then right click on the brush tab and select 'add stroke', import your picture. Select 'Simple' from the drop down menu and fiddle with the start and end lines (the blue ones) on the image to get a good match.

Of course with the spray brushes you don't need to worry about any of that!

It would be great if Matt had some sort of central repository here so we could all put our brushes (and fill textures!) into it!

Last edited by ravells; 11th January 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11th January 2011, 08:44 PM   #18
Esoterika Apathy

Red face Re: Some Brushes

wow thanks will have to have a try now!
i agree....might have an idea bout that will let you know if i can pull it off! xx
Old 12th January 2011, 01:05 AM   #19
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
It would be great if Matt had some sort of central repository here so we could all put our brushes (and fill textures!) into it!
Hi Ravs,

Matt used to have a website with that kind of stuff in it but I think it may have disappeared when Serif reorganized their various bits of web space. I have copies of some brushes he created as add-ons for DP8; I believe they have all been incorporated into subsequent versions of DP but if you're interested you can find them here. If you'd like me to add your brushes to that collection I'd be happy to do so.

Alfred
Old 12th January 2011, 11:06 AM   #20
ravells

That would be wonderful, thanks Alfred!

:: Edit :: I tried loading Matt's misc brushes using the %app data% method but they're not showing. Is it the case that DP8 brushes are not compatible with X4?

Last edited by ravells; 12th January 2011 at 11:16 AM.