Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Notices

ImpactPlus / 3DPlus ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Old 12th September 2010, 01:02 PM   #1
civiliza
Advanced Member

civiliza is well on the road to greatness
Default Dem Bones

I recently posted a suggestion on the wishlist that boiled down to being able to build up an animatable skeleton.

Searching the web today, I found that Deekaybe had found a key technique necessary to do this, namely how to offset the centre of rotation away from the object's centre, see:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/serifus...7616144698557/

Experiments this morning have shown that this method can be extended to two or more objects meaning that a skeleton is possible. The attached file shows a simple two object "arm". To move the whole arm, select the Arm object, it should rotate about (0,0,0); to move the forearm, select the Forearm group within Arm, it should rotate about it's join with the Upper Arm.

As long as the Upper Arm is not edited, the whole arm should act consistantly (apart from the fact that the elbow acts like a ball joint).

Arm Demo.ipp
Old 12th September 2010, 01:59 PM   #2
AlecA

AlecA is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dem Bones

Only some 200 more bones to go. Keep up the good work. Maybe there will be an update by Serif as a result
Old 12th September 2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecA View Post
Maybe there will be an update by Serif as a result
Probably not.

IP has been discontinued by Serif as of early 2010, IP 5 has never had a patch/update, and IP 4's most recent update is 4.10

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 12th September 2010, 10:31 PM   #4
deekaybe

deekaybe is on a distinguished road

This is great work Civiliza. Although I looked at the file, I would like more explanation how you managed to move the rotation center of the Arm group. This is pure curiosity, as I gave up ImpactPlus.
Old 13th September 2010, 03:37 PM   #5
civiliza
Advanced Member

civiliza is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaybe View Post
I would like more explanation how you managed to move the rotation center of the Arm group. This is pure curiosity, as I gave up ImpactPlus.
Well, to start off with, I used the 2D workshop to build an upright lathed "bone" shape out of two circles and a rhombus.

As per your technique, I centred the bone at (0,0,0), and then moved the individual elements up by the amount necessary to centre the bottom sphere at (0,0,0). Thereby positioning the centre of rotation at that end of the bone.

I then copied this bone, and moved and scaled it to make the Forearm. Both bones were then grouped together and re-centred to (0,0,0).

Both of the individual bones within the group were then moved up by the amount necessary to move the bottom sphere of the original bone back to (0,0,0).

Finally, I posed the arm to show the two bones.

There is no reason why this cannot be continued ad infintum. The basic methodology is to create an element, move it's origin to the appropriate position, group it with it's hierarchical master, and then move the origin of that group to the appropriate position and so on.

I can't see myself doing 200 odd bones, but I might eventually try to create a mannequin. After all, at this stage, I am just trying to get a feeling for realistic poses to improve my DrawPlus skills.

Last edited by civiliza; 13th September 2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 13th September 2010, 10:20 PM   #6
deekaybe

deekaybe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by civiliza View Post
After all, at this stage, I am just trying to get a feeling for realistic poses to improve my DrawPlus skills.
Again, hat off. Well done. I know the feeling of opening Impact Plus to new horizons. But if you really want to go for 3D, forget ImpactPlus and go for a more modern application. The choice is huge.
If what you need is realistic posing, simply use DAZ studio. It is for free. You can see its application in the attached DrawPlus pictures or follow this link to see how it can be used together with MoviePlus.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekayb...7606608345078/

Don't loose time trying to do the same with IP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No More War.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	14979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crucifix.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	14980   Click image for larger version

Name:	resurection.jpg
Views:	96