Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Notices

ImpactPlus / 3DPlus ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:55 PM   #21
Sixwheels
Senior Member
 
Sixwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA, MD
Posts: 2,221
Sixwheels is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: Open source it!

They still sell Cinema4D to this day, only the average Joe can't touch it with a 10 foot pole at something near $2000. That's what I liked about the Amiga computer; it was itself low cost, and the software was reasonably priced as well, but high quality. We may never see its like again, although some of these new net books are looking pretty nifty.
__________________
Sincerely,

James H

My Super Simple PhP Tutorials.
Sixwheels is offline  
Old 4th March 2010, 03:46 AM   #22
Jim B.
Master
 
Jim B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,706
Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default An Interesting Thought.

Isn't this one of the longer threads regarding IP since its release???

Kinda interesting that there is more discussion about "keeping" it, than Q & A about how to use it.
__________________
Jim B. :> )

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Jim B. is offline  
Old 5th March 2010, 04:41 PM   #23
Sixwheels
Senior Member
 
Sixwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA, MD
Posts: 2,221
Sixwheels is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: Open source it!

Yes, we have enough thread here to make a sweater.
__________________
Sincerely,

James H

My Super Simple PhP Tutorials.
Sixwheels is offline  
Old 5th March 2010, 09:54 PM   #24
omirp
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South London
Posts: 16
omirp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: An Interesting Thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Isn't this one of the longer threads regarding IP since its release???

Kinda interesting that there is more discussion about "keeping" it, than Q & A about how to use it.


Well here is a question.
I`ve been trying to follow one of the tutorials on IP
called "Glassy Graphics" I get as far as number6,in the list,where you set the fog in Vertex.They suggest "start 50 and end 70" But when I do that the image just fades away completly.Also in section 8 It asks you to check that no bevel is applied.You are asked to go to Beveal/Lathe panel of the Studio Attributes tab and click "No Bevel" radio button. ButI can`t get it to turn on or off.At the moment it`s off.
I am using Vista and I wonder that the prog` is so old maybe the computer can`t handle it.
omirp.
omirp is offline  
Old 5th March 2010, 10:20 PM   #25
Jim B.
Master
 
Jim B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,706
Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: An Interesting Thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omirp View Post
Well here is a question.
I`ve been trying to follow one of the tutorials on IP
called "Glassy Graphics" I get as far as number6,in the list,where you set the fog in Vertex.They suggest "start 50 and end 70" But when I do that the image just fades away completly.Also in section 8 It asks you to check that no bevel is applied.You are asked to go to Beveal/Lathe panel of the Studio Attributes tab and click "No Bevel" radio button. ButI can`t get it to turn on or off.At the moment it`s off.
This is gonna just kill ya!

I tried using IP several times over the years. I've never figured out how to use it, nor found a need to use it. I uninstalled it a couple of years ago.
__________________
Jim B. :> )

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Jim B. is offline  
Old 6th March 2010, 03:15 PM   #26
Sixwheels
Senior Member
 
Sixwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA, MD
Posts: 2,221
Sixwheels is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: Open source it!

Jim B, get out of our thread!

Actually, I am in the same boat. When it started acting wonky on Windows Vista, I uninstalled it and haven't used it since.
__________________
Sincerely,

James H

My Super Simple PhP Tutorials.
Sixwheels is offline  
Old 6th March 2010, 05:38 PM   #27
Jim B.
Master
 
Jim B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,706
Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixwheels View Post
jim b, get out of our thread!

actually, i am in the same boat. When it started acting wonky on windows vista, i uninstalled it and haven't used it since.
sm:scooter sm:helmet sm:wheelchair sm:boat sm:angel sm:biker

sm:melodramatic
__________________
Jim B. :> )

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Jim B. is offline  
Old 6th March 2010, 11:14 PM   #28
deekaybe
Regular Member
 
deekaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 71
deekaybe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: An Interesting Thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omirp View Post

I`ve been trying to follow one of the tutorials on IP
called "Glassy Graphics" I get as far as number6,in the list,where you set the fog in Vertex.They suggest "start 50 and end 70" But when I do that the image just fades away completly.Also in section 8 It asks you to check that no bevel is applied.You are asked to go to Beveal/Lathe panel of the Studio Attributes tab and click "No Bevel" radio button. ButI can`t get it to turn on or off.At the moment it`s off.
Your text is probably hidden in the fog (too far). Select our text object and go then to the status Tab. There, enter the following values:
Position (from left to right): 0, 0, 10.2
Angle: 5, 0, 0
Size: 19.7, 4.8, 133.3

Set also your View coordinates as follow:
Position: 4, 14, -80
Angle: 10, -5, 0

Now, you should see your text coming out of the fog.

In order to switch on/off bevels, you should first make sure that the object is selected.

Hope this helps. I did this on Vista.
deekaybe is offline  
Old 11th March 2010, 10:44 PM   #29
omirp
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South London
Posts: 16
omirp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: An Interesting Thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaybe View Post
Your text is probably hidden in the fog (too far). Select our text object and go then to the status Tab. There, enter the following values:
Position (from left to right): 0, 0, 10.2
Angle: 5, 0, 0
Size: 19.7, 4.8, 133.3

Set also your View coordinates as follow:
Position: 4, 14, -80
Angle: 10, -5, 0

Now, you should see your text coming out of the fog.

In order to switch on/off bevels, you should first make sure that the object is selected.

Hope this helps. I did this on Vista.
Hi deekaybe.
Thanks for your reply.
I`ve tried your sugestion tonight.
I must say the result was much better than the tutorial.
But it still didn`t look like glass.
I tried my own experiments with a model of a drinking class from the model list.I tried putting a spot light to make a high light.But it wasn`t really very good,still I shall carry on experimenting.
Cheers
omirp
omirp is offline  
Old 12th March 2010, 09:08 AM   #30
pmcleod
Senior Member
 
pmcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Burton on trent UK
Posts: 2,558
pmcleod is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

[QUOTE=aNDI;430148]
I also have an apple 11a, who remembers 51/2 inch floppy disks?

/QUOTE]

Easy I still remember 8 inch floppies
__________________
Pete Mc
Win7 premium. XP, both 32bit
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those that don't

Webplus help and info, courtesy of mjh and others for the content www.foxhillers.com/webplus/
pmcleod is offline  
Old 14th March 2010, 12:22 AM   #31
deekaybe
Regular Member
 
deekaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 71
deekaybe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: An Interesting Thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omirp View Post
I`ve tried your sugestion tonight.
I must say the result was much better than the tutorial.
But it still didn`t look like glass.
Well done Omirp. It is by trying that you will learn the possibilities of ImpactPlus.
However ImpactPlus is not a Ray Tracing program. So it will never be able to calculate reflection, refraction and all these things that makes glass looking like glass. You can try to fool the system using self made textures, but it will take you days to get to a correct result, where you would need only a few minutes to get the correct result using a real 3D rendering software.

But although the result of this tutorial does not look like glass, I found it great to create animated titles for video. Therefore, you create the text like described in the tutorial, then you select the first frame in the animation timeline and activate the position property. You set then the Z coordinate of the text object so that the object disappears in the fog (something like 60). Make sure that the animation's duration is long enough (at least 50 frames). On the last frame of the animation, you set the Z coordinate to -60. Press Play. The title comes out of the fog.
deekaybe is offline  
Old 14th March 2010, 03:01 AM   #32
Lon in NWArkansas
Master
 
Lon in NWArkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Posts: 12,688
Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Open source it!

[QUOTE=pmcleod;434639]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNDI View Post
I also have an apple 11a, who remembers 51/2 inch floppy disks?

/QUOTE]

Easy I still remember 8 inch floppies
First system was dual 5.25" floppies. Man, was I stylin!


Lon "DOS still lives" in California
__________________
Dell XPS 8300 | Win7 Home Premium 64-bit | Core i7-2600 @ 3.4ghz w/8GB RAM | 1GB AMD Radeon 6450 Graphics
Lon in NWArkansas is offline  
Old 17th March 2010, 12:02 AM   #33
deekaybe
Regular Member
 
deekaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 71
deekaybe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

I couldn't resist to try getting a glass out of IP. It ended with this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekaybe/4438718805/
deekaybe is offline  
Old 17th March 2010, 11:04 PM   #34
omirp
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South London
Posts: 16
omirp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaybe View Post
I couldn't resist to try getting a glass out of IP. It ended with this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deekaybe/4438718805/
Hi deekaybe.

Ye-gods I wish I were that good,I do like it.Did the glass and bottle come the images already in ImpactPlus or did you draw them yourself. If so where did you draw them?
omirp
omirp is offline  
Old 18th March 2010, 11:43 PM   #35
deekaybe
Regular Member
 
deekaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 71
deekaybe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omirp View Post
Did the glass and bottle come the images already in ImpactPlus or did you draw them yourself. If so where did you draw them?
omirp
Hi omirp.
I firts wanted to answer that in ImpactPlus, you don't draw, you model. But after reflection, you are right, I did draw the objects you see (except the knife that I took out of the models coming with IP).
In IP's user interface, locate the button with the hammer on it (it says "3D workshop"). If you click on it (while no object is selected), you enter the place where you can create circular objects (Lathed) or extruded ones.
In the grid, draw a shape. If you know Drawplus, you will have no problem to use the tools.
If this option is set to "Extruded", the shape you draw will get a depth. If you select "Lathed", the shape will be used to create a circular object arond the axe represented by the left side of the drawing area. To illustrate this last, I have attached a screenshot of the glass object in the 3D workshop.
For the glass texture, I applied the one called "Water 11" as a reflective texture (see attachement).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	10136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass texture.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	10137  
deekaybe is offline  
Old 21st March 2010, 07:17 PM   #36
omirp
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South London
Posts: 16
omirp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaybe View Post
Hi omirp.
I firts wanted to answer that in ImpactPlus, you don't draw, you model. But after reflection, you are right, I did draw the objects you see (except the knife that I took out of the models coming with IP).
In IP's user interface, locate the button with the hammer on it (it says "3D workshop"). If you click on it (while no object is selected), you enter the place where you can create circular objects (Lathed) or extruded ones.
In the grid, draw a shape. If you know Drawplus, you will have no problem to use the tools.
If this option is set to "Extruded", the shape you draw will get a depth. If you select "Lathed", the shape will be used to create a circular object arond the axe represented by the left side of the drawing area. To illustrate this last, I have attached a screenshot of the glass object in the 3D workshop.
For the glass texture, I applied the one called "Water 11" as a reflective texture (see attachement).
Hi deekaybe.
Took a look at your screenshots.
Today I have had a go at making a goblet/glass,in 3D workshop. After much trial and error I seemed to have succeeded.,which was great.Here I may be telling you something you already know,but I found that by having the "DEGREES and SMOOTHNESS" sliders way over to the right does help some what.
Tell me is there a help page for 3D workshop within the program. I know that there are tutorials but I can`t find one for 3D workshop?
Many thanks for your help,I shall carry on.
omirp
omirp is offline  
Old 21st March 2010, 10:28 PM   #37
deekaybe
Regular Member
 
deekaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 71
deekaybe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omirp View Post
Tell me is there a help page for 3D workshop within the program. I know that there are tutorials but I can`t find one for 3D workshop?
Hi Omirp.
Open the help from the ImpactPlus main menu and go to the chapter "How to Work with Objects". The sub-chapter "Building your own objects" tells you everything you need to know about the 3D Workshop.

Don't be afraid to try things, it is so that you will learn. It was by doing some "wrong" manipulations that I discovered very nice ImpactPlus features.
deekaybe is offline  
Old 24th March 2010, 01:11 AM   #38
ericlnz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Aotearoa
Posts: 4,718
ericlnz is just really niceericlnz is just really nice
Default Re: Open source it!

The output from Impact Plus may be a great companion for Movie Plus but doesn't the Impact Plus software have similarities with Draw Plus? Comments from the more knowledgeable would be appreciated.

Eric
ericlnz is offline  
Old 24th March 2010, 03:00 AM   #39
pmcleod
Senior Member
 
pmcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Burton on trent UK
Posts: 2,558
pmcleod is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open source it!

[QUOTE=Lon in California;435598]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcleod View Post

First system was dual 5.25" floppies. Man, was I stylin!


Lon "DOS still lives" in California
I used to repir 8" floppies they were all stand alone hard sectored floppies, I can't remember the capacity but we fixed a lot of them
__________________
Pete Mc
Win7 premium. XP, both 32bit
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those that don't

Webplus help and info, courtesy of mjh and others for the content www.foxhillers.com/webplus/
pmcleod is offline  
Old 24th March 2010, 05:48 PM   #40
civiliza
Advanced Member
 
civiliza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 726
civiliza is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: Open source it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlnz View Post
The output from Impact Plus may be a great companion for Movie Plus but doesn't the Impact Plus software have similarities with Draw Plus?

Eric
I have felt that for some time, having a prior history with Draw Plus, I can certainly see the simularities.

To my mind they both do things the other is crying out for.
civiliza is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:18 PM.