Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Notices

ImpactPlus / 3DPlus ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Old 30th August 2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Sixwheels
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Simple modeling programs

The one thing that I always loved about ImpactPlus was the very simple modeler built into the program. Since IP5 seems to be the last incarnation of this wonderful program, and it doesn't work too well on Windows Vista, I was wondering whether anyone knew of a similar modeling program?

I know that there are programs like Blender available for free, but it is far too complex for very simple jobs.

Old 5th September 2008, 08:46 PM   #2
swifty
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Re:*Simple modeling programs

Not to mention the ability of Impact plus .stv files to integrate into MoviePlus. Serif has pushed me away with the abandonment of ImpactPlus, and now the less than stellar reviews of MP X3. I think it is time to step away for a while.

You might want to check out Anim8tor at http://www.anim8or.com/.
It is a free 3D modeling and animation program.

It looks like I will have to dust off my copy of After Effects, for particle workshop work. And spend the 100 or so hours watching tutorials. I also enjoyed the simple to use IP interface.

ImpactPlus which was then 3DPlus (if I remember correctly was the original program that drew me to Serif, and I guess fittingly it is the program that is driving me away. Yes I own all the expensive adobe programs, but did choose Serif's offerings for their simplicity. I cant live without Photoshop and Illustrator, but have most of if not all the Serif programs for the integration with each other.

But, now I think it is time to brake off this relationship. Well so Long Serif, it had promise.

Swifty

Old 16th October 2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Dijenga

Dijenga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Alternatives

Truespace is no longer being produced. The OWNER of the company has released the final COMMERCIAL VERSION of the software FREE TO THE PUBLIC for download for as long as the site remains up.

There are numerous plugins etc. just like with the photoshop filters, except they are applicable to the 3d / animation environment.

Get it while its hot . . . or at least while it lasts.

http://www.caligari.com/products/tru...hure/intro.asp
Old 28th October 2009, 04:36 AM   #4
gerrycud

gerrycud is a jewel in the roughgerrycud is a jewel in the rough

There is also a freeware program called "WAX" that will do a little 3d rendering. Anim8or is a bit more capable though.
Old 28th October 2009, 10:37 PM   #5
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijenga View Post
Truespace is no longer being produced. The OWNER of the company has released the final COMMERCIAL VERSION of the software FREE TO THE PUBLIC for download for as long as the site remains up.
Thanks for that, Dijenga. I don't think trueSpace has the friendliest of user interfaces, but given that the product is now free I guess we shouldn't complain too much!

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 29th October 2009, 02:03 AM   #6
Dijenga

Dijenga is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on what you are used to I guess. I was already familiar with their interface from previous versions.

You work in a 3 dimensional world, and the program exports almost photorealistic (big word from art classes) images if you have the right program to "render" them. That's free at the site too.

Nice drawing.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:04 PM   #7
vshears
Advanced Member

vshears is on a distinguished road

Impressive piece of artwork. Truespace is obviously very capable, are there any tutorials for beginners you would recommend?

Last edited by vshears; 2nd November 2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 2nd November 2009, 03:49 PM   #8
Sixwheels

Sixwheels is well on the road to greatness

I tried Truspace for awhile, but the program is seriously complex, too much so for simple tasks. Amazing, though, that they have given it away for free. :-)

James H

My Super Simple PhP Tutorials.
Old 2nd November 2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Sixwheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrycud View Post
There is also a freeware program called "WAX" that will do a little 3d rendering. Anim8or is a bit more capable though.
I can find the latter program, but I cannot find WAX. Do you have a link, Gerry?

James H

Old 2nd November 2009, 06:55 PM   #10
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixwheels View Post
I can find the latter program, but I cannot find WAX. Do you have a link, Gerry?
Hi Jim,

Go here.

(~not Gerry)

Alfred
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:45 PM   #11
Sixwheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Hi Jim,

Go here.

(~not Gerry)

Alfred
I thank you kindly, Alfred. Funny, you look just like Gerry. ;-)

James H

Old 11th March 2012, 11:17 PM   #12
HLS Design

HLS Design is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Simple modeling programs

First off, before I get around to replying to this post, let me thank you all for the information and amusement ( i.e. SystemBabies ) that you have provided me over the years ( so much so, that I've only have found the need to contact Serif directly for support once or twice ) - so thanks again!

That being said, let me introduce myself... My name is Ron and I live in Michigan, USA. I run a small Multi-Media Design Studio and exclusively use all the major Serif titles ( Web Plus, Draw Plus, Photo Plus, Page Plus, Movie Plus and Impact Plus 5.0 ).

My main area of expertise ( 20+ years ) is vinyl graphics ( mostly vehicle and window lettering ) which DP's .pdf creation abilities allow me to seamlessly import into my plotter / cutter software. I also design logo's, banners and signs ( all using PP, Php and DP ). When Web Plus X2 came out, I added web development to my arsenal of services ( again, thanks to all that have provided scripts, hints, tips, workarounds and add-ons - that last one is for you Neil J! ).

And since this is my first time posting, I wanted to make a BIG contribution.

---- now returning to reply ----

Anyways, I too was looking for alternate 3D modeling / rendering software ( low cost or free ) to do more complex modeling than ImpactPlus 5.0 is capable of.

Now don't get me wrong, I use and prefer IP 5.0 over DP to create animated .gif's and 3D text ( which for me is not only easier to use, but the results I achieve are better than the pseudo 3D features in DrawPlus ), but I wanted / needed something more capable of doing complex modeling ( like cars, buildings, etc... ).

So now for my BIG contribution: I belong to a graphic design community based forum and someone had posted a link to www.daz3d.com which is currently running a promotion offering over $800 worth of software for FREE ( includes Daz 3D Studio 4, Hexagon 2.5 and Bryce 7 ). There are alot of FREEBIES that they are offering too ( objects, buildings, humans, creatures, etc... ), just dig around once you get on their site.

I too, have used TruSpace and Blender, but chose to stay with and learn Blender, due to the ongoing support and updates. At least until I found these little gems. Of course, for simple modeling IP 5.0 is still my first choice!

I don't know if you'll find use for these program's, but they are FREE ( for a limited time ).

That's all for now. As I ease myself into these forums, I'll let you see some of my work ( although, nothing in comparison to the likes of Neil J, Ken Cope or Griff Wason ) and if I can ever help someone out I will do my best. Most likely, I'll leave the support to you experts, because I'm 2-3 versions behind on all of the Serif software I own ( it's a personal choice, as I like to wait until the newest versions offer the updates that I need and / or until it's been fully tested by the general public and is as bug free as possible ).

Until then,
Ron
Old 25th March 2012, 05:38 PM   #13
Sixwheels

Default Re: Simple modeling programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS Design View Post
First off, before I get around to replying to this post, let me thank you all for the information and amusement ( i.e. SystemBabies ) that you have provided me over the years ( so much so, that I've only have found the need to contact Serif directly for support once or twice ) - so thanks again!

That being said, let me introduce myself... My name is Ron and I live in Michigan, USA. I run a small Multi-Media Design Studio and exclusively use all the major Serif titles ( Web Plus, Draw Plus, Photo Plus, Page Plus, Movie Plus and Impact Plus 5.0 ).

My main area of expertise ( 20+ years ) is vinyl graphics ( mostly vehicle and window lettering ) which DP's .pdf creation abilities allow me to seamlessly import into my plotter / cutter software. I also design logo's, banners and signs ( all using PP, Php and DP ). When Web Plus X2 came out, I added web development to my arsenal of services ( again, thanks to all that have provided scripts, hints, tips, workarounds and add-ons - that last one is for you Neil J! ).

And since this is my first time posting, I wanted to make a BIG contribution.

---- now returning to reply ----

Anyways, I too was looking for alternate 3D modeling / rendering software ( low cost or free ) to do more complex modeling than ImpactPlus 5.0 is capable of.

Now don't get me wrong, I use and prefer IP 5.0 over DP to create animated .gif's and 3D text ( which for me is not only easier to use, but the results I achieve are better than the pseudo 3D features in DrawPlus ), but I wanted / needed something more capable of doing complex modeling ( like cars, buildings, etc... ).

So now for my BIG contribution: I belong to a graphic design community based forum and someone had posted a link to www.daz3d.com which is currently running a promotion offering over $800 worth of software for FREE ( includes Daz 3D Studio 4, Hexagon 2.5 and Bryce 7 ). There are alot of FREEBIES that they are offering too ( objects, buildings, humans, creatures, etc... ), just dig around once you get on their site.

I too, have used TruSpace and Blender, but chose to stay with and learn Blender, due to the ongoing support and updates. At least until I found these little gems. Of course, for simple modeling IP 5.0 is still my first choice!

I don't know if you'll find use for these program's, but they are FREE ( for a limited time ).

That's all for now. As I ease myself into these forums, I'll let you see some of my work ( although, nothing in comparison to the likes of Neil J, Ken Cope or Griff Wason ) and if I can ever help someone out I will do my best. Most likely, I'll leave the support to you experts, because I'm 2-3 versions behind on all of the Serif software I own ( it's a personal choice, as I like to wait until the newest versions offer the updates that I need and / or until it's been fully tested by the general public and is as bug free as possible ).

Until then,
Ron
This was all really helpful information, Ron, but I ran into a major stumbling block at the website. Namely that I can't figure out how to actually get the free programs. They've set it up like a cart system, but nothing ever downloads, and if nothing is ever sent to me. Maybe you can shed some light on this?

James H

Old 25th March 2012, 06:40 PM   #14
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
This was all really helpful information, Ron, but I ran into a major stumbling block at the website. Namely that I can't figure out how to actually get the free programs. They've set it up like a cart system, but nothing ever downloads, and if nothing is ever sent to me. Maybe you can shed some light on this?
Jim,

You need to log in before you can download anything. Have you created an account and signed up for the newsletter? After adding all the items to the cart, did you press the 'checkout' button? If you haven't checked out and the items are still in your cart, you'll see a link saying 'Cart (3)' at the top of the page; click that link to display the 'Quick Cart' page so that you can check out your free "purchases", after which you'll find a bunch of download links in your account.

(~not Ron)

Alfred
Old 25th March 2012, 07:30 PM   #15
HLS Design

Quote:
...I can't figure out how to actually get the free programs. They've set it up like a cart system, but nothing ever downloads, and if nothing is ever sent to me. Maybe you can shed some light on this?
Hiya SixWheels -

Ya, I forgot to mention that you need to create an account as Alfred pointed out, I'm not sure about having to 'sign-up' for the newsletter ( but I did ). I think the same process was needed to 'download' some of i360's stuff that he offered up here a while ago.

Once you've registered, go to the store and on the upper left hand side, you'll see FREE PRODUCTS. Click on that and your results will include, not only the software, but pre-built models, landscapes, etc... After you fill your cart with all the FREE GOODIES, checkout like Alfred said. You will receive 3 emails ( Account Confirmation - with download instructions, Serial Number Information - for activating your software and an Order Confirmation - which is just a plain HTML invoice of all your FREE downloads ). Again, as Alfred mentioned, everything can be accessed through your account page once you are registered.

I can tell you that their 'newsletter' is not as annoying as some companies ( I think I've only gotten 3 so far ). But have found the abundance of FREEBIES to be well worth the simple task of 'deleting' an email ( unless it has something I may need ). Plus the emails usually contain deals and useful video tutorial links.

Hope this helps,

Ron

Last edited by HLS Design; 25th March 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 29th March 2012, 09:59 AM   #16
Peanuts

Peanuts has a spectacular aura about

Hi HLS Ron

Thanks for the heads-up re free software - in these times something we can all do with, if it is good.

Went to site you gave and after going through the sign up procedure to download free software decided to try Bryce Pro 7.

Got a bit confused as to just what I should download apart from Pro 7 because there were other Bryce items to download.
What, if any, should I have additionally downloaded?

Appreciate any help/guidance.

Regards

Peanuts
Old 29th March 2012, 02:17 PM   #17
HLS Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
Hi HLS Ron

Got a bit confused as to just what I should download apart from Pro 7 because there were other Bryce items to download.
What, if any, should I have additionally downloaded?
Hey Peanuts -

I don't think there was much FREE stuff available for Bryce, but I downloaded the cloud city package for free: http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/all..._382|cs_135_19

I personally haven't got into any of these packages in depth yet ( due to actual paid projects I'm currently working on), but I think Meg (?) had said she had used Byrce 4 a while ago ( in a different thread ), so she may be able to help you out with that particular software.

But go ahead and download that and it might help you get started.

Hope this helps,

Ron
Old 29th March 2012, 04:19 PM   #18
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS Design View Post
Hey Peanuts -

I don't think there was much FREE stuff available for Bryce, but I downloaded the cloud city package for free: http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/all..._382|cs_135_19

I personally haven't got into any of these packages in depth yet ( due to actual paid projects I'm currently working on), but I think Meg (?) had said she had used Byrce 4 a while ago ( in a different thread ), so she may be able to help you out with that particular software.

But go ahead and download that and it might help you get started.

Hope this helps,

Ron
I downloaded Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32.exe, BryceContent_7.0.0.21_Win.exe,
BryceLightning...... etc and
BryceProContent .... etc.

I haven't used it yet - no time and Bryce 4 was quite some time ago but basically, you create your scenery (I used to try out futuristic rock patterns and mountains, etc) and then you apply the textures, eg green moss or sand or patterned rocks.

I have attached pics of 2 items I did with Bryce4 but I haven't even installed Bryce7 yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brycedesertlake2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	31577   Click image for larger version

Name:	brycelagoon.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	31578  
Old 30th March 2012, 09:46 AM   #19
Peanuts

Peanuts has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your replies both Ron and Meg.

The downloads I was in doubt about are those Meg listed (although I couldn't find Bryce Pro Content, only Bryce Content). One other extra was Bryce Pro Materials - 7.0.0.19

I have now downloaded these, will install and see what happens.

If I can get anything near approaching Meg's results using Bryce 4 I will be very happy.

Thanks again to you both.

Regards

Peanuts
Old 30th March 2012, 10:38 AM   #20
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
Thanks for your replies both Ron and Meg.

The downloads I was in doubt about are those Meg listed (although I couldn't find Bryce Pro Content, only Bryce Content). One other extra was Bryce Pro Materials - 7.0.0.19

I have now downloaded these, will install and see what happens.

If I can get anything near approaching Meg's results using Bryce 4 I will be very happy.

Thanks again to you both.

Regards

Peanuts
You won't have to try very hard to get results like mine! I am definitely no artist. There was a learning curve on Bryce4 and no doubt there will be one on Bryce7 but I certainly had fun with it.