Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 22nd March 2006, 08:24 PM   #1
brendeau
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Printing in color

I have created a brochure in PP11. all I need is to print a color, purple. I cannot seem to get it to print that color. I have a vague understanding of RGB vs CMYK, cannot seem to get the right color out of using either one of those.

Please help, need this in 1 1/2 hrs.

Thanks

Old 22nd March 2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Bill Schuhle

Lightbulb Re:Printing in color

Don't know if this is in time to be of any help, but attached is a page of purple swatches from the CMYK palette. Print this on your printer and see if any of them are what you're looking for. If so, copy that swatch and paste it into your document. This will add it to the bottom of the document swatch palette.

If none are correct, find the one that's closest. Right click on its swatch in the palette and select "Edit". Add or subtract Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, or blacK in the mixer to get it closer to what you need.

Hope this helps,

Bill Schuhle

Old 22nd March 2006, 09:24 PM   #3
Mike Koewler

Do you have color management turned on in PP. Is it set to proof to your printer? One PP program (I think it was PP9) came with images that could be used to proof your monitor to your printer. You print the image and then adjust your monitor until the colors match.

Mike

Old 23rd March 2006, 12:23 AM   #4
brendeau

Thank you. I am actually studying this type of information in college. I still don't really understand. I am on ver. 11, in the other versions i didn't even think, or know, about any of this and things printed the way they looked on the screen. What gives?

Thanks again
Tami

Old 23rd March 2006, 12:25 AM   #5
brendeau

I did try colour management and about everything else i could find. Using pp color swatches worked, though i still don't really understand. Thanks.

Tami

Old 23rd March 2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Bill Schuhle

Tami,

You're welcome

Glad the swatches did the trick. Don't know why you had screen-to-printer color correlation in previous versions of PP, but not with v. 11. I personally have never attempted to use color management, either at home or on our much more complex system at work as it didn't seem worth the hassle. All that really counts is what comes out on paper and the only way you're going to determine that is to have samples to hand of actual output from the printer in question, printed on the media you're going to use, with the settings that will be used for final output. I've gotten comfortable with the idea that what I see on screen is not a true representation of what will print, but that my color swatches are.

Bill Schuhle

Old 23rd March 2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Gary Russell

I was in the desktop publishing for years using Page Maker. Unfortunately, color matching on the PC hasn't advanced much in the past 10 to 15 years. However, if you are serious about color matching on a PC, there is a company that sells a program that creates ICC files for Windows. Unfortunately, I forget the brand at the moment, but the product is sold at CompUSA.

There are several versions with a $99 version for home and semi-pro use. The software comes with a device that attaches to the monitor that 'reads' specific color swatches that it displays. After the monitor is calibrated, you print out the same colors on your inkjet or color laser. You then scan the page. It's a lengthy process, but you should have ICCs for the monitor, printer and scanner for more accurate representation.

I've thought about buying it myself. I get really frustrated just printing out family photos that are too pink or blue.