Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > MoviePlus

Notices

MoviePlus Questions about using MoviePlus for video editing

Old 3rd December 2013, 11:53 PM   #1
SevieG

SevieG is on a distinguished road
Default Failed Disc Writing “The Operation Failed – file not found”

Hello

I have spent approx. 11 hours editing a movie over the weekend and on Monday. All went well until I tried to create a disc image. (I normally create a disc image prior to writing the actual DVD).

As you can see from the attached screenshot, the export went well, the rendering appeared to work (however no blue tick) and then the message Failed Disc Writing “The Operation Failed – file not found” appeared and the export failed.

I have tried exporting direct to disc and exporting to a folder as well as trying to create a disc image again. On all occasions I get this message. I even exported the whole film as one mpeg file, loaded it into a new movie project, added chapter points and menu, then tried creating a disc image and still had this message again.

Finally I created a 5 minute test film from scratch and that exported fine to disc image. So I assume the error musty be with the original project.

Does anybody have any idea what is causing the error or which file is missing (or anyway of finding out) or any ideas what I do next before I resort to trying to create the whole thing from scratch again, then crossing my fingers and hoping it works.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stevie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	194
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	44638  
Old 4th December 2013, 12:39 AM   #2
ericlnz

ericlnz is just really niceericlnz is just really nice
Default Re: Failed Disc Writing “The Operation Failed – file not found”

Stevie, it's failed at the Render stage which is actually the writing of the menu. (The movie "rendering" is the export stage). So have a look at the menu items as that is where the problem is. Is everything okay in Menu Designer? It might be that a MVP item is missing when it goes to create the menu. You could try running a "repair" of your installation to see if that helps.

Eric
Old 4th December 2013, 01:23 AM   #3
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlnz View Post
Stevie, it's failed at the Render stage which is actually the writing of the menu. (The movie "rendering" is the export stage). So have a look at the menu items as that is where the problem is. Is everything okay in Menu Designer? It might be that a MVP item is missing when it goes to create the menu. You could try running a "repair" of your installation to see if that helps.

Eric
Recently, someone reported that the "Skyscraper?" template seemed faulty. It might be worth trying a different template in case you've picked a bad one.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 4th December 2013, 11:04 AM   #4
artyman

artyman is on a distinguished road

Just a random thought, is 'Untitled' perhaps a bug have you tried giving it a filename.
Old 4th December 2013, 11:15 AM   #5
SevieG

Hello All

Latest update on problem

Artyman - the example I showed screenshot of about 5th attempt. I had been using proper file names. In the end I resorted to saving in different locations etc and this was the only one left as untitled. - good thought of yours though.

Eric and Richard. This morning I have run a repair on Movieplus X5 and also changed menu templates. Started the export off and 3/4 hour later it again failed with the same problem.

Thinking now I might start a new fresh project, make a totally diffrent film (shorter) and then see ig that exportes correctly. That may then tie it down as to weather a problem with Movieplus in general or just this project. - I really want to avoid having to start from scratch on this one again until I know cause of problem.

Thanks for your help so far.

Stevie
Old 5th December 2013, 07:27 PM   #6
SevieG

Hello All

Here's the latest update for you.

Yesterday / Today I made a new 20 minute film, using different footage. I then crossed my fingers and started the export - All went well and an iso image was created no problem.

Hopfully the original problems was something to do with original project and not MoviePlus. At some point I will start from scratch again with the original project.

Stevie
Old 6th December 2013, 10:40 AM   #7
SevieG

Hello All

Well I don't know why but I had this idea last night and this morning gave it a go.

I exported the whole project as an avi file.
Then I imported this avi file into a new project
Then I set the chapter points and created a menu.
I then attempted to create a disc image and it worked !!!

so fingers crossed I havn't got to recreate project again.

Stevie
Old 6th December 2013, 11:21 AM   #8
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevieG View Post
Hello All

Well I don't know why but I had this idea last night and this morning gave it a go.

I exported the whole project as an avi file.
Then I imported this avi file into a new project
Then I set the chapter points and created a menu.
I then attempted to create a disc image and it worked !!!

so fingers crossed I havn't got to recreate project again.

Stevie
Thanks. Glad to hear that this has worked.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 10th March 2014, 11:44 AM   #9
SevieG

Hi All

Since origian problem I've com[plted a couple more movies with no issuues.

Then this weekend I experienced exactly the same error. Again I found the solouition to be as before (export as AVI, insert chapter points and write an ISO)

Intrestingly I used same menu for the AVI file as the failed movie so unfortuntly Eric suggestion it's to do with menus looks unlikely.

So far I can't find an common factors in the 2 movies that failed other than that they failed to write.

Any body out there got any more ideas

Thanks in Advance

Stevie
Old 10th March 2014, 12:09 PM   #10
ericlnz

Stevie

1 - Is it again failing at the Render stage
2 - With your menu are you using an image for the background

Eric
Old 10th March 2014, 12:52 PM   #11
SevieG

Hi Eric

Thanks for prompt reply.

1)
What happens is Export works - Big tick displayed

Render appears to work - Big tick

Writing begins and then fails - at this point the Render tick vanishes (This was case before - sorry If I was not clear)

2)
It appears what ever preset menu background or if I use one of my own backgrounds - the failure happens. Yestersday I tried with a serveral diffrent backup grounds, button layouts etc. ranging from un touched system suplied menus to highly customised - made no diffrence samev error everytime - however as I say id I creat one large Avi File, insert chapter points then creat an identical menu to beofore all works fine

regards

Stevie
Old 10th March 2014, 10:56 PM   #12
ericlnz

I was just wondering if for your menu background you were using a file that's also used on the timeline. In which case perhaps the Export process was locking it and the Menu creation couldn't access it. But obviously that's not the case.

A mystery. I've not encountered the problem but then I only do simple menus.

Eric
Old 10th March 2014, 11:37 PM   #13
SevieG

Eric

That is a very interesting thought

On the latest one that failed in the first instance the background was in fact an image that had also been used on the time line.

Like you I tend to go for simple menus, just occasionally changing background image and fonts, otherwise sticking to pre made templates.

(Glad to see you still use the forums )

regards

Stevie
Old 10th May 2014, 10:36 PM   #14
deplaylady

deplaylady is on a distinguished road

My MoviePlus 6X doesn't even finish writing one chapter. It stops, freezes and I cant cancel the action or even close the program without shutting down the computer. I used a simple menu, no editing, I just wanted to see how my daughter's wedding videos looked before I edited them. Sure glad I didn't take the time to do that! I tried to just write a disc image and the same thing happen - the process stopped and everything stalled out in the middle of a chapter (a different one this time.) I bought the 6x because my previous version started crashing all of sudden and Serif told me they no longer supported it. Any help or ideas?